all season riders: How do you prepare your bike for the cold months?

Motorcycle-Vagabonds

Well as it's a UK site,

ANYONE is more than welcome from any part of the world

:stupid:

This is why I asked where OP was posting from...

Equally I saw the touring advert on the forum the other day and would want to make sure I have my bike ready for a 'proper' winter if I manage to go travelling, not just the wet, cold and slimy conditions we have to put up with! :mrgreen:

Well as it's a [strikeout]UK[/strikeout] London site, I'm thinking [strikeout]UK[/strikeout] London winters... wet, cold and slimy. London.

London, London, London.

Corrected that for you :mrgreen:

@ Stu

And thanks for not mentioning the war :cheers:

Well as it's a UK site,

This is getting tedius...

It's .co.uk

it's fair to say when discussing topics, we assume it to be relevant to the UK. I've gone over the OP again and see no mention of another country so am assuming we're discussing UK riding and UK winters and again, I've gone over the post again and OP mentioned he doesn't like riding in the snow... So why we're debating the ability of a tyre in snow is irrelevant because it won't even be used for that. Chelsea tractor debate??

If however, Mr vegabonds is from a country that suffers worse than we do with winters, and he needs to be prepared for worse road conditions... All he has to do was say "I'm from here and conditions are like this" and I wouldn't have assumed we are talking about the UK and that is where he resides.

It was a legitimate question; why are you using a block tread pattern tyre in the winter?

With legitimate arguments against it; it has what, 30% less rubber than a standard road tyre, interior ability to disperse water, less grip due to less contact patch.

And Mr vagabonds is amazingly capable of answering his own questions without needing an army to back him up.

Or have I missed out on some previous politics?

Pretty sure Stu gets to decide who the site is and isn't aimed at :lol:

And I'd say the thing you've missed (and the thing that people have risen to) is the part where you told Frank that his tyre choice was nonsensical! You asked him a question, he gave you an answer. It's your choice if you don't want to believe in winter tyres :lol: And there's certainly no need to then call his decisions into question in such a blunt fashion, he didn't ask for your sincere and experienced evaluation of his tyre choices :P

Well as it's a UK site,

It's .co.uk

its a domain name :roll:

I also have .com and .net :roll:

A domain name doesn't limit to who the website is for! not do you decide who can and can't visit or who the forum is aimed at!

It's more UK dominant but its certainly not limited to the UK

It's .co.uk

its a domain name :roll:

I also have .com and .net :roll:

A domain name doesn't limit to who the website is for! not do you decide who can and can't visit or who the forum is aimed at!

It's more UK dominant but its certainly not limited to the UK

I don't think you read my post. If you did you missed my point.

I'd love more global bikers on here as it potentially gives me points to aim for when travelling, where I could meet someone new for a chat and learn about some great local roads too.. :mrgreen:

I think if you look at the first picture he posted, it's pretty obvious that's not the UK..

Even if you look at those snow banks and think "Could be Scotland" then that means advising for those conditions i.e. Winter Tyres.

Pretty sure Stu gets to decide who the site is and isn't aimed at :lol:

And I'd say the thing you've missed (and the thing that people have risen to) is the part where you told Frank that his tyre choice was nonsensical! You asked him a question, he gave you an answer. It's your choice if you don't want to believe in winter tyres :lol: And there's certainly no need to then call his decisions into question in such a blunt fashion, he didn't ask for your sincere and experienced evaluation of his tyre choices :P

I'm sorry, I didn't realise I was over offending you.

Best pay little attention to my posts of they do.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise I was over offending you.

Best pay little attention to my posts of they do.

Don't give yourself too much credit! I just don't want the newer members thinking that we're all so ruddy tactless :lol:

Edited by RantMachine

I think if you look at the first picture he posted, it's pretty obvious that's not the UK..

Even if you look at those snow banks and think "Could be Scotland" then that means advising for those conditions i.e. Winter Tyres.

That's obviously where I'm stupid and just thought a picture was being posted to compliment the thread topic. Which also would have been obvious...

Don't give yourself too much credit! I just don't want the newer members thinking that we're all so ruddy tactless :lol:

Well if you don't reply like I do... They won't think that of you will they.

At least the new members know who to call on for assistance though :thumb:

This was pretty much my view on it too..

Only a little while ago we were all told to tone the banter down with Newbies, had this been an established member who was more familiar with your tone of text, I doubt it would have been an issue! :lol:

However this is a very new member who was making a real effort to get people into a friendly discussion. Due to your posts it became distinctly unfriendly and that's likely why you had an 'Army' come to try and ease it out a bit.. :roll:

Due to your posts it became distinctly unfriendly and that's likely why you had an 'Army' come to try and ease it out a bit.. :roll:

Point heard about the newbie thing. I'm not on here a huge amount and only see about 10% of new posts if that. I don't know who's know and who's not.

But it's fair to say... Aggressive army tactics don't ease things out, apparently.

Hey Frank!

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? You're pics in the first post look awesome and I'm jealous of your rugged bike :mrgreen:

Hi tsurugi-ijin,

I´m from Germany.

The first picture in the original post was taken in the Himalayas, to be exact in India - a country many do not connect with lots of snow.

Picture 2 +3 where taken on a sunny day over here in November.

Greetings to GB!

Frank

(Damnit, the first time I take my German books home from work in a month!)

Heya,

Call me Gin, a lot easier to manage :mrgreen:

The Himalayas! I am even more envious now...

I can't wait to travel more, when I can afford it; though Europe is my first goal, I have friends in Gibraltar and Sweden that I'm aiming for.. I know I have a lot more to learn about the different weathers and country regulations I need to learn about :D

Got any good travelling stories or more pictures?

Oh come on people. Let's be nice to each other... It's Christmas :mrgreen:

Hi tsurugi-ijin,

I´m from Germany.

The first picture in the original post was taken in the Himalayas, to be exact in India - a country many do not connect with lots of snow.

Picture 2 +3 where taken on a sunny day over here in November.

Greetings to GB!

Frank

Hey Frank, could be worse you could be polish :wink: ....just don't mention the war :lol: [ AN OBVIOUS JOKE! For those without basic sense of humour :roll: ]

P.s

Listen, don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right :lol:

(Damnit, the first time I take my German books home from work in a month!)

Heya,

Call me Gin, a lot easier to manage :mrgreen:

The Himalayas! I am even more envious now...

I can't wait to travel more, when I can afford it; though Europe is my first goal, I have friends in Gibraltar and Sweden that I'm aiming for.. I know I have a lot more to learn about the different weathers and country regulations I need to learn about :D

Got any good travelling stories or more pictures?

For the story of our around world trip and pictures of it have a look at our English homepage: http://www.motorcycle-vagabonds.com

I have to admit that the English homepage is lean compared to the German one: http://www.krad-vagabunden.de

Maybe I´ll add pictures of some European trips in Q1 2017 to the English one? Can´t promis, but I´ll try.

If you have any question about travelling across borders / long term travelling feel free to ask.

My travel "career" started with annual rides to rallies in GB in the 90ties and I couldn´t have imagined then where this would lead to.

Cheers

Frank

Moin Frank,

you being an ITK with experience others don't amass in a lifetime may just have an idea or two for http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=62181

Basically our great and ever benevolent Stu wants to collect info for those from London (and other parts of the UK, if there are any and if there's snow, will be snow or has ever been snow they ain't bloody part of it) who, and we shall promise not to mention Brexit as they promise not to mention the war, cannot resist the urge to venture further than Old Blighty. I with my meagre experience of the Alps contributed with some touring info that came to mind and whatever the ADAC has to offer. Perhaps you could spare a wise word or two.

Sorry, I shall never have another pint in my whole life again :cheers: Ever - fact.

PS: I don't really want to diss London, spent a major part of my life in and around Finsbury Park and fecking loved it.

Moin Frank,

you being an ITK with experience others don't amass in a lifetime may just have an idea or two for http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=62181

Basically our great and ever benevolent Stu wants to collect info for those from London (and other parts of the UK, if there are any and if there's snow, will be snow or has ever been snow they ain't bloody part of it) who, and we shall promise not to mention Brexit as they promise not to mention the war, cannot resist the urge to venture further than Old Blighty. I with my meagre experience of the Alps contributed with some touring info that came to mind and whatever the ADAC has to offer. Perhaps you could spare a wise word or two.

Sorry, I shall never have another pint in my whole life again :cheers: Ever - fact.

PS: I don't really want to diss London, spent a major part of my life in and around Finsbury Park and fecking loved it.

I´ll make a post in the thread you mentioned above.

Greetings from Köln to south

Frank