Theory Test experience

I did my theory test this week and I thought I'd put a post up for the benefit of those who've not come across this before.

When I did my car test there was no requirement for a theory test so this was all new to me, and I found it quite a strange experience.

I booked the test online and and got confirmation emails telling me to turn up 15 mins before the test.

The test centre turned out to be a very run down office block on the edge of town - tbh I thought it was an abandoned building being above a closed down Comet store. Entry was controlled with a remote intercom. Once inside there were toilets.

The guy on reception wasn't the friendliest person I've met, but to be fair I was a bit early and they put me in the test early. I had my driving licence which seemed to be all I needed.

Security was taken rather seriously. I had to empty my pockets and put everything in a locker along with my coat and my jumper - so I did the test in the T-shirt I had on underneath.

They also insisted on inspecting my glasses and seeing my mobile being turned off and put into the locker.

I've worked in secure sites (I used to have CTC and SC clearances) that were less of an issue to get into.

From the reception area I went down a corridor to a second reception where they again checked my licence and made me turn out my (empty) pockets.

The test itself was done in a small room with 8 small cubicles each with a PC in it. the lighting wasn't great - glare from the screen, etc. Didn't seem to be very restrictive about start times, I was just given a number and told to enter the room quietly and use the machine in the numbered cubicle.

At the PC there was a screen wipe, a set of ear plugs, mouse and set of headphones (no keyboard).

The test itself was similar to what I'd read about - the system did offer a sample/demo first which I skipped.

So, multiple choice questions, general ones first followed by a scenario which I didn't know about - was just a page of text describing various events on a journey with a number of multiple choice questions about the text.

You are able to flag questions if you're not sure of them and once finished you can go back to the flagged ones or indeed work through the whole set again reviewing your answers.

After the multiple choice ones you can have 3 minutes break - I don't think you can leave the room but just get yourself together/relax.

Then comes the introduction to the hazard perception - which is the only thing that the headphones are needed for - since the intro includes spoken instructions.

Then 14 short CGI videos. No mouse pointer visible on the screen during the hazard perception videos. This was the part I was most concerned about given all that I'd read about it. I've been driving for 30 years and I think I've got pretty good observation and road awareness but some of the examples I'd seen on the web had scored me quite badly (clicking too early and too often).

On the plus side the real thing was better quality images than the demo ones I'd seen and full screen rather than little window, so easier from that point of view.

Each individual video had a 10 second countdown leading into it.

At the end you are offered the chance to answer some feedback questions and try some additional multichoice questions that are being considered for inclusion in the test.

Once you're finished its back out of the test room and to main reception to retrieve your belongings from the locker. On presenting your licence again you are given a sheet of paper with your results. Before my bit of paper was printed I did ask if there was any feedback available on the hazard perception - I was concerned about how I could evaluate my performance, obviously asking such questions is some sort of heresy. I got short shrift and was told that all I got was the result.

In terms of preparation I didn't do much. I ran through a couple of sample multichoice tests and looked at a couple of free hazard perception videos on the web. I didn't re-read the highway code or buy any of the apps/books on passing the test - but as said I'm a fairly experienced driver.

I thought the multichoice stuff was generally straightforward, a couple of the questions had strange wording that made me think a bit before I worked out what they wanted.

The hazard perception stuff I clicked a couple of times for each event - being mindful of having been too early on the samples. Generally they were OK although a couple were quite busy with lots of stuff happening and working out what was the real hazard was tricky but I never got the too many clicks warning - one video had a car reversing out onto the other side of the road - was that the hazard or was it the oncoming cars coming onto my side to avoid it or the parked cars or the pedestrians?

The results sheet gies the passmark and your score. For the multiple choice you are told what section you dropped marks on 'Safety and your vehicle 1 incorrect answer, Road and traffic signs 1 incorrect answer' and for the hazard perception you are told how many clips you scored points for 'On the double hazard clip you scored 9, On 9 clips you scored 5, on 3 clips you scored 4..., etc'

I passed with 69/75 for the hazard perception which I was reasonably happy with - and suggests that the issues raised about experienced drivers failing have been dealt with.

I dropped 2 points on the multichoice, which I think were mixing up a no stopping and no waiting sign and saying that I'd not apply the brake when climbing onto a bike.

Top stuff, re the security you will probably not be surprised to hear how many people try and cheat their way through the question part! Hidden earpieces, stuff written on arms, inside wrappers or labels etc etc!

I think the receptionist people also have to be careful they are not seen giving "help" to anyone. Did your locker key have a massive plastic plate as the "key fob"? that made me properly laugh when I did mine (both times :evil: )

Top stuff, re the security you will probably not be surprised to hear how many people try and cheat their way through the question part! Hidden earpieces, stuff written on arms, inside wrappers or labels etc etc!

I think the receptionist people also have to be careful they are not seen giving "help" to anyone. Did your locker key have a massive plastic plate as the "key fob"? that made me properly laugh when I did mine (both times :evil: )

Cheating must be a big issue then. I've never had to give up my glasses to be checked before. I guess this is one of the 'benefits' of technology.

The locker fob was a large wooden spatula with the locker number written on it :)

Security was taken rather seriously. I had to empty my pockets and put everything in a locker along with my coat and my jumper - so I did the test in the T-shirt I had on underneath.

They also insisted on inspecting my glasses and seeing my mobile being turned off and put into the locker.

I've worked in secure sites (I used to have CTC and SC clearances) that were less of an issue to get into.

Yep, mine was the same in Oxford. I was genuinely surprised by how suspicious they were. Fitness tracker - in the locker, watch - in the locker, phone - turned off an in the locker, coat - in the locker.

Airports security takes less notice.

That being said, I'm sure I could work a way round it. I wasn't frisked for example, so hidden devices could work.....

Anyway, well done on the pass, that's a great start :thumb:

The security is pretty insane, but just easier to do a little bit of revision and pass the thing with flying colours. Easier to pass it property rather than try and cheat your way through it.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Always wondered what happens if you wear a jumper with no t-shirt on underneath or a pair of bulky motorbike trousers with no trousers underneath.

What about if you had the Highway Code tattooed on your arm as a bit of alternative body art? :D

took a cancellation today instead of 3 weeks time.

Passed 1st time (thankfully) downloaded an app on my phone called motoTest from the play store in the samsung shop. £2.49 got you all the questions and some hazard perception videos (72 i think)

A week of doing the Q&A and i was straight through no hassle.

The place in Glasgow wasnt quite as strict, just asked to make sure your phone was off.

Passed 1st time (thankfully) downloaded an app on my phone called motoTest from the play store in the samsung shop. £2.49 got you all the questions and some hazard perception videos (72 i think)

The place in Glasgow wasnt quite as strict, just asked to make sure your phone was off.

I've just downloaded this too, but only the free version so far. Was that 72 videos you got then? Sounds useful.

Test is booked for Nov 3rd and I'll start preparing in earnest next week.

I've been driving for a good few years, so hopefully much of it will be familar, but I know I'll need to read up on the highway code. How much has car driving experience helped others with learning to ride?

I've just downloaded this too, but only the free version so far. Was that 72 videos you got then? Sounds useful.

Test is booked for Nov 3rd and I'll start preparing in earnest next week.

I've been driving for a good few years, so hopefully much of it will be familar, but I know I'll need to read up on the highway code. How much has car driving experience helped others with learning to ride?

If you upgrade to the £2.49 version it gives you the hazard perception videos and you just tap your phone screen instead of clicking a mouse. The graphics arent 100% as they are older videos (can tell by the cars in the vids) but it must have helped as when it came to doing it on the theory test computer at the test centre i got 70 out of 75. The new videos are computer generated and not real live videos