Hyosung gt 125 r 2006

I have a full licence and have riden all over the world and i dont need to go fast anymore, so that is reason i have one of these.

looks wise and i know that is very subjective these are good looking bikes, one of the reasons i got it was it is the same size and a full sized bike, no radiator to worry about as it is air cooled. has electric start and will do 60 mpg all day long on a flatish road, without going into the red, it is a twin cylinder and the MPG is out of this world, so much you dont even bother calculating. i am 12.5 stone and you only notice the lack of power if you are goiing up a steep hill

the Honda CBR 125 which is water cooled is quicker but if you are over i dont know about 5ft 8 you will look odd on it as it is small.

it has been very reliable only had an electrical problem with the indicators after i fell off so i cant blame the bike, just changed consumables, would advise on getting very expensive fork seals as they needed to be done twice after i bought some cheap ones

who should buy this? well i wouldnt if i was a learner for 2 reasons, the first being you will drop it and it will be expensive with all the fairing and secondly you will want something faster when you have passed your test, better someone who has been and done it and just wants something that looks good to potter about on a Sunday or a short ish commute, as remember it is a sports bike position. you can put a 600 sticker on if you want to and nobody will know the difference.

i have an aftermarket exhaust which i dont think makes it any quicker, maybe slightly but i believe in motorists being able to hear me in addition to being able to see me.

I still don't understand that concept of well I've done it all, now I'll stick with a 125. Surely they're just SO slow it's either embarrassing and/or actually not fast enough to keep up with traffic? Even a 250 or 500 just so it's got that little bit of power.. in case you'd ever need it?

I still don't understand that concept of well I've done it all, now I'll stick with a 125. Surely they're just SO slow it's either embarrassing and/or actually not fast enough to keep up with traffic? Even a 250 or 500 just so it's got that little bit of power.. in case you'd ever need it?

125s are loads of fun! And arguably make you a much better rider as you need to plan ahead and can't rely on your right wrist to get you out of trouble! To me I view them as another "style" like a cruiser, or sports, or tourer or 125!

Yeah you probably wouldn't want to go on the motorways for long times on them.. but that's kinda the same for ANY bike :lol: Going through towns and filtering that 125 is probably going to sneak ahead of our big fat bikes quite easily :lol: :lol:

How many miles you done on it ingm80?

14,000 miles, only ever used in the dry so I can't comment on what they are like in the wet. But they are big as big as any 600 sport bike, for me I am not in a rush and too big to look normal on any other 125. Am planning some super long trip next year so will report back.

I've seen good things said about them, particularly their road presence and the ergonomics of them. Seem like nice pieces of kit!

What Hoggs said! On the flip side, I could argue that I don't see much joy in owning a 600cc sport bike when you're never going to use more than 50% of what it can do unless you take it on regular track days. On a 125 or a 250 you really have to ride it with absolutely everything that you've got and push the bike to its absolute limit. Very fun and very satisfying! All a case of personal preferences, but small bikes are certainly a valid choice.

Just FYI I understand the concept of its more fun to get 100% out of a 125 than 10% out of a 600. And the fact it makes you a more conscious rider, and I'm not against anyone that buys a 125.. but I still don't get why if you'd wanna downgrade and cruise, why you'd use something you have to wring it's neck, instead of something that can cruise a lot more effortless say 250/500/650.

Plus these days 125's are expensive as hell.

Like I said, personally I think it's a bit boring to effortlessly cruise. If I wanted effortless, I'd buy a twist and go :lol:

I want to use every gear and every rev on every ride! And that includes my commute. I "downgraded" from a 650 to a 250, and I've never looked back. A 250 that maxes out at 70mph exactly, I should note - not one of the nippier ones.

And yes, 125s are getting ruddy expensive :shock:

I wouldn't dream of buying one brand new...

14,000 miles, only ever used in the dry so I can't comment on what they are like in the wet. But they are big as big as any 600 sport bike, for me I am not in a rush and too big to look normal on any other 125. Am planning some super long trip next year so will report back.

Wow that is big for a 125 - sorry you did say it was full sized in your original post for some reason my brain just read that as fully faired.

14,000 miles is pretty good going! Is it easy to find parts for them (consumables like plugs and tyres (I vaguely recall someone had an Asian brand bike that had weird tyre sizes...) etc)

And cruising is dull! All about the corners!! And, from experience, it is the rider not the bike that determines how fast you can through the twisties regardless of style or engine size! :shock:

it is the rider not the bike that determines how fast you can through the twisties

Or around roundabouts :lol:

That reminds me, did you visit the magic roundabout in Colchester the other week? I managed to go around it properly this time :P

ingm80 - Nice work, that's some decent mileage on a smaller bike! I also racked up 14k on my old 125, but not long after that it had a nasty accident with a car... If that hadn't happened, it might even still be going now. It'd be pretty rusty by now, though... :lol:

And I'd probably be on my 15th solenoid :roll:

Glad to hear that yours is still going strong :thumb:

That does look good ingm80 :thumb:

And cruising is dull! All about the corners!! And, from experience, it is the rider not the bike that determines how fast you can through the twisties regardless of style or engine size! :shock:

Youve found corners now you go out of London for rides eehhhh. :thumb:

ingm80 - Nice work, that's some decent mileage on a smaller bike! I also racked up 14k on my old 125, but not long after that it had a nasty accident with a car...

I had my dt125 clocking 16k and it went on to 23k before its not re taxed

Wasn't there a 125 challenge? :up:

ingm80 - Nice work, that's some decent mileage on a smaller bike! I also racked up 14k on my old 125, but not long after that it had a nasty accident with a car...

I had my dt125 clocking 16k and it went on to 23k before its not re taxed

Wasn't there a 125 challenge? :up:

Yeah and nobody sodding did anything with it! I spent ages working out easier rules and everything, to make it more accessible :/

Still think we just need to do a forum ratty old 125 rally one weekend :lol:

I had one of these bikes for several years, absolutely loved it and given the opportunity i would probably buy another. 'twas good fun on all roads and is capable of keeping up with most traffic, mine served me well and i worked it hard, only ever broke down once and it was my own fault. cant recommend them enough.