We bought we use does it work, sort of....

Plus side... No issues with volumes (speaker/ mic position is important as with any system) and call quality is good. When its working the dual audio streaming works well (something we wanted was music and coms not music or coms and voice control over phone). When you can get the functions working it does what it says and can really add to the pleasure of the ride...

As far as I can understand its about as good as there is out there... Even if its not without its faults...

Now the other view point.... I contact them regarding issues we have been having, they are not deal breakers but they are frustrating....

It seems we are not the only one and they are trying to resolve them, if you own a set and are having bugs please also report it might help!

Some pictures missing for ease of posting... Other users tips and advice appreciated (if it helps on Q3 or other models it might help on Pack Talk)...

My comments black there's red...

-=-=-=-=-

So in summary the issues:

1) Clunky to use I guess this is problem of 3 buttons and to many functions?

- You can use the Cardo SmartSet application on your phone which can be used to control the PACKTALK device which is easier for some customers.

- - We both have the app and it is off use, for setting up although it cannot be used with gloves and in this country illegal to use on the road as rider.

- - - The PACKTALK is our top of the line product with the most features and capability. Unfortunately, there are only so many buttons that can be put on the device, so it definitely can take some time to learn the functions of each button and feature.

2) FM Radio Range poor (Is FM aerial speaker wires)?

- Your right speaker wire contains the FM antenna if you are using the factory provided speakers. To achieve the best FM reception, make sure the wire is routed directly over your head within the lining of the helmet as opposed to being around the back portion of the helmet. Also, please route the wire in an “S” shape if any excess wire exists after routing the speaker wire properly.

-- Thanks for the confirmation on that and the tip about S shape.

3) What does the RDS Actually do?

- RDS re-tunes the FM radio station that you are listening to a strong frequency for that channel. This only applies if the station you are listening to broadcasts the same channel on different frequencies in different areas. Once you are out of range of one station, RDS will automatically switch to the stronger frequency for that station. RDS does not function if station you are listening to only broadcasts on one frequency.

-- We thought that is what is meant to do so far we have not noticed this happening, a friend with the system also has the same feeling.

4) Is Music Sharing and Dual audio streaming Intercom possible?

- The PACKTALK system has a music sharing feature, which allows you to share Bluetooth A2DP music between a driver and a passenger. It also has a Parallel Audio streaming feature, which allows you to listen to music simultaneously during an intercom conversation.

These two features do not function simultaneously – you can’t share music and utilize the parallel streaming feature. Music sharing can only be used in Bluetooth intercom mode and must be initiated by the primary headset that is connected with the audio source.

Parallel streaming of music will only function properly in DMC intercom mode. Each rider can play their own music during a DMC intercom conversation. Music sharing is not possible in DMC mode.

-- This seems to be part of the frustration with the system many of the features available are only available in limited modes or with restrictions on their use. Learning what you can do when and how to push the right button at the right time becomes a challenge.

5) What is the issue with listening to music from our individual phones and dual Audio Streaming?

- Parallel Audio streaming is only possible in DMC intercom mode at this time. It will not work in Bluetooth intercom mode at this time. A forthcoming PACKTALK software update will also offer this option when using the PACKTALK in Bluetooth intercom mode.

-- Looking forward to that update hopefully with some stabilization and bug fix's. Particularly as I am struggling to repair us in a DMC group after doing a factory reset to both units. My helmet has a group with a name and is Adding members (Green, red flash) passenger set is trying to join a group (quick green flash) They time out without joining a group :/

Its not the first time I have had this issue on Sunday 3 of us gave up after 15-20 minutes of trying, we just went for a ride using 8+1 calling each other individually but never achieving a pack.

UPDATE: Just achieved a pairing buy pushing button 5s etc, even then passenger set sees a group on her phone and I don't have one on mine? Well I do but it has no members??

---There are different bugs that are currently being resolved with the app. The group name may not transfer over from one app to another when a DMC pack is created. If you wish to add a member to a DMC pack that was already created, you will need to do so using the headset of the original PACK creator. If you are having issues creating a PACK or joining a PACK after repeated attempts, you may need to reset the device to clear out the previous pairings before creating a new pairing.

6) Wind Noise tips please.

- If you are using the adjustable hybrid-boom microphone, make sure that the microphone is positioned directly in front of your mouth and as close to your mouth as possible – not off to the side, above, or below your mouth. The sponge should be touching your lips.

Also, make sure you are speaking into the side with the yellow arrow-head indicator showing. This arrow head points towards the proper side of the microphone, as shown below.

I’d also recommend to switch to the larger round microphone sponge in your packaging if you have not done so already.

If using the corded microphone, this also needs to be mounted directly in front of your mouth. If there is any space between your mouth and the corded microphone, you may need to pad out the area so it is closer to your mouth, or switch to the hybrid-boom microphone.

We have altered our microphone positions as best as possible, in my helmet there is very restricted space for boom, the corded microphone is placed to one side. If not people could not understand me (possibly due to vent locations, Shark vision R Carbon helmet).

7) Do you have a better simplified guide?

- You can view our mini guide for the scala rider PACKTALK, which is an interactive guide that provides details on almost every function of the device. This can be found here:

http://cardosystems.com/external/miniguides/Miniguide_En/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

-- Now that is a useful guide.

Thanks for this as I have been looking into the packtalk today. I had my mind set on the C3 pro with the cardo designed Bluetooth system. But I have also been looking at other helmets and adding packtalk.

After reading other reviews, it seems a lot of problems is down to the complexity of the system and reading the Bible like instruction manual.

Thanks for this as I have been looking into the packtalk today. I had my mind set on the C3 pro with the cardo designed Bluetooth system. But I have also been looking at other helmets and adding packtalk.

After reading other reviews, it seems a lot of problems is down to the complexity of the system and reading the Bible like instruction manual.

I would agree there and working out what the limitations of the system are and what suits your methods of using it... I guess for us it was a bit of a leap as we where straight into pairing and wanting to use more advanced features...

I would agree there and working out what the limitations of the system are and what suits your methods of using it... I guess for us it was a bit of a leap as we where straight into pairing and wanting to use more advanced features...

• 5 months later...

After more use

Yes

Communication up to the speed limit of fine, we can do a long day 8-10 hours Talking intercom by the end of the day we are getting low battery alarms (never had flat battery).

Once set up talking to others on other bikes is useful. The chat over coffee can continue long after coffee. Changes in routes/ destinations can be discussed.

If riding in a bigger pack as leader the other bike can be your eyes as to if every one is with you.

And No.

The system is not without its limitations, and can be a frustrating. If you have any problems Cardo Support is good for set up issues.

If you regularly change riding groups it can be frustrating.

The controls can be difficult for certain features.

Updating with some comments to and from Cardo, who must be learning to hate me :shock:

I hope it makes sense...

At the beginning of the day people are normally busy chatting and getting ready, the time taken to pairing headsets is quite low on the agenda (2-3minutes per set). We are used to riding in groups without com's so it is not essential but can be enjoyable/ useful.

Pairing with other people is a feet I am brave enough to do, and sometimes have some success they give me there phone and helmet and I have a coffee on my own.. If I am not there and have not set it up they generally dont bother...

Switching intercom pairings/groups can be challenging as this depends very much on the capability of the device you are connecting with.

The scala rider TeamSet PRO is not compatible with the scala rider PACKTALK – you will not be able to connect these devices for intecom use.

DMC intercom shouldn’t drain the battery life more than Bluetooth intercom. DMC conversations are always active, so it would drain faster than having the device on and in stand-by mode or using other features, but the PACKTALKs are rated at 10-13 hours of talk time regardless of which intercom mode is being used.

As far as entering channel ‘B’ pairing mode, you are correct that you would press and hold the Intercom button until the device flashes red rapidly. As soon as the rapid red flash appears, you need to release the Intercom button and then immediately double tap it to enter channel ‘B’ pairing mode, where the red flash will change to rapid blue. The biggest thing here is timing – you do not want to pause after the device enters channel ‘A’ pairing mode or between taps of the Intercom button after or else the device will remain in channel ‘A’ mode and begin to look for other devices to pair with that channel.

I can tell you that the One+8 buddy intercom system isn’t capable of communicating with more than one partner at a time and I don’t believe that is something that could be adjusted with a software update, but I’d be happy to pass your feedback for all of those points along to our development team.

Functions that would be nice (if it does not cause more glitches):

Ability to chat to multiple 8+1 buddies or at least one paired unit and 1 8+1 buddy.

Ability to load your 8+1 buddies from your phone so that if you do factory reset on the road they all come back.

Same with radio stations, having them stored on phone app so you can update presets from phone and Laptop.

We aren’t aware of any issues with the Cardo Updater 3.0.1 not being able to connect with devices. What operating system are you using on your computer? Which internet browser are you using? Does the page ask you to ‘Connect your device to USB’ on the left side under ‘My Connected Device’?

(I have since found it does not like the long USB cable the unit was supplied with)

RDS only retunes to the strongest signal for the same station – so it will only adjust the frequency if the station you are listening to broadcasts on different frequencies and different areas. It will not tune to a different station.

Music sharing can only be done in Bluetooth intercom mode whenever the conversation is not active, as the intercom takes a higher priority. If you wish to listen to music/FM radio during a conversation, this can be only be done at this time by having your devices in DMC intercom mode and creating a PACK between your devices – but since DMC intercom mode is intended for a large group of riders, music sharing is not possible in DMC mode.

My partner as Pillion will rather ride in silence than try and retune the radio on the road (as discussed the RDS is pretty much useless).

- have since learned of easy to access auto tune function...

- You can use the Cardo SmartSet application on your phone which can be used to control the PACKTALK device which is easier for some customers.

No good once on road....

- Your right speaker wire contains the FM antenna if you are using the factory provided speakers. To achieve the best FM reception, make sure the wire is routed directly over your head within the lining of the helmet as opposed to being around the back portion of the helmet. Also, please route the wire in an “S” shape if any excess wire exists after routing the speaker wire properly.

- You can view our mini guide for the scala rider PACKTALK, which is an interactive guide that provides details on almost every function of the device. This can be found here: http://cardosystems.com/external/miniguides/Miniguide_En/index.html.

• 1 year later...

People.

I am new to Cardo systems and understood it to be the best on the market. I really need your help.

I have a Cardo packtalk bold and bought the wife a Cardo freecom 4 with the intention of her being able to talk to me on the back of my bike.

I’m off on a long ride (10 days) with her next week and have paired the devices etc. I will be using my trusty Garmin sumo 550 for directions

HER unit is Bluetooth and not DMC. I can initiate a chat with her while listening to the radio etc but I cannot seem to be able to chat to her and also listen to the gps directions or music.

Any ideas. ??? Can this unit handle listening to gps instructions while chatting on intercom. ???

Thanks. That’s what I thought. Is there a setting on the Cardo community I need to select as this doesn’t happen.

I literally have to stop the intercom connection in order to hear the instructions at present.

Thanks again for your help.