Road by road route planning

V1ncevrs

My zumo will do that.. I would guess the Tom Tom units will too.. this is essentially what they are for. Creating routes at home for trips out and about. Obviously you will need European mapping, but I would guess most modern units come with that straight out of the box.

This took 2 minutes,, a nice little route from Nauders.. taking in the Umbrail, Stelvio and Timmelsjoch passes.. with a little diversion to Solda. ending at Oetz - 160 miles.

Done using Garmin Basecamp and ready to be uploaded to my unit.

1899571727_ScreenShot2016-09-24at15_23_06.thumb.png.055032f61790f7b37bb96cf432166719.png

and zoomed..

1612630929_ScreenShot2016-09-24at15_43_24.thumb.png.4335c0afa84e3ff3f347abcec51c40f0.png

:stupid:

Garmin zumo and tomtom rider will allow you to do this either on the screen which can be a pain or on a PC and transfer the routes

tomtom uses a program called TYRE (trace your route everywhere) and is very easy to use but it is a bit buggy and can crash occasionally while planning a route, the only downside with TYRE is that it uses google maps and routing so the route can be different when transferred depending on the settings

Garmin have basecamp which a lot of people love although I can't get to grips with it to be honest

the bonus with the basecamp is that when you plan a route and transfer it to the unit it they will both be the same providing all the settings and maps are the same

I prefer using ITN converter, you can choose what mapping to use and will convert any route to the format you require although the routing isn't always the same but nothing a few extra waypoints cant fix

ITN converter isn't available to me to test.

but.. a quick read of the description rules it out anyway. its inadequate for my needs.

I use it to plan very complex routes all over Europe. It's free and works well for me.

Tyre to Travel might be another option for you.

ITN converter isn't available to me to test.

Tyre to Travel might be another option for you.

no it isn't.. i don't need another option. I especially dont need a windows beta version that will not work on my Mac without much faffing about.

I already have all the routing software I need thanks.. I have a Garmin Zumo 660.. loaded with 2016 maps and installed on this Mac, Basecamp 4.6.3

I demonstrated that in the second post with an example route created by me (using basecamp) that passes over the Stelvio. Thus:

1852198103_ScreenShot2016-09-24at15_23_06.thumb.png.be5c1823bbffdadff9157462c19fd9fa.png

These suggestions for 3rd part routing software appear to be all about using a smart phone. I dont own a smart phone. I would suggest the OP look seriously at a dedicated sat nav for his trip to Italy and have its mount hard wired to the bikes power supply. Does the S1000R have a dedicated sat nav power socket? most modern BMWS do. I know mostly about GARMINs and recommend them whole heartedly. Just take your time to learn how to use Basecamp.

These suggestions for 3rd part routing software appear to be all about using a smart phone.

They aren't made for smart phones

TYRE was made for TomTom and Garmin and they allow you to transfer directly on to both straight from the program but its crap!

ITN convert will just save to any format you require

[ I would suggest the OP look seriously at a dedicated sat nav

Totally agree there

I have had a bike dedicated sat nav for around ten years now! I had the rider V1 till the charging mount packed up I did look at phone navigation but it didn't suit my requirements so ended up buying the Zumo 590

I have tried basecamp and can't get to grips with it!

ah.. well, I dont know. I found Basecamp an absolute doddle for route creation. though I use very little of its overall functionality. Just creating a route between two points and then editing it (guidebook in hand) so it goes the way I want it.. I also add 'reminders' that pop up and tell me what is coming up... or what Im passing. in case I wasnt to take a diversion or stop off.

like this. there is a nice cafe in Prato

1490661196_ScreenShot2016-09-24at19_26_08.thumb.png.9025538fc958f0c80851f27fa7ff1874.png.

as I approach it will pop up and I can then decide wether or not to go to it.. as you can see its not actually on the route. in this case its a cafe.. but it could be just about anything.

This is a really great little feature that I use a lot. just to add 'options' on the route and make it more interesting. stop off.. or pass by.

I've tried using Basecamp and didn't much like the look of the maps. But I didn't realise that it promised to transfer the exact route to your Garmin - that's such a useful feature I think I'll download it again and give it another go.

I've tried using Basecamp and didn't much like the look of the maps. But I didn't realise that it promised to transfer the exact route to your Garmin - that's such a useful feature I think I'll download it again and give it another go.

Just make sure all settings are the same in basecamp and the zumo and the same maps too :thumb:

Thanks guys, some useful info there, I'm using an iPhone so it would be handy if I could get something that's compatible with it. If I'm out on the road and need to tweak a route that would be great but not essential as I will have planned an exact route before I leave.

I'll be preparing around Christmas time for a sat nav so I'll make sure I get something that suits my needs. Sounds like either the farming or tomtom should suffice.

Shorty: I don't believe there is a specific socket on my bmw although I could be wrong, all I have linked to it is a 12v fitting at present.

Shorty: I don't believe there is a specific socket on my bmw although I could be wrong, all I have linked to it is a 12v fitting at present.

It should be fairly obvious: mine looks like this:

http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/resources/6795/assets/images/FAQs/GPS/mount/zumo_660_r1200gs_mount_skyenet4.jpg

That isn't what I meant. That is the holder for the sat nav unit... In that case a garmin zumo. What I meant is a socket, usually it's hidden out of sight near the instruments. In the case of the S1000R there is a power feed available hidden behind the side panel. Shown in this post http://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,457.msg3858.html#msg3858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need some sort of adapter though, so it might be simpler to simply connect the mount directly to the battery. Fortunately the question has been answered on where and how to connect the mount to the handlebars.

http://www.telferizer.com/products/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aren't they a din socket?

No... Unfortunately it's not that simple. I don't know what the correct name for the socket and its plug is, but it looks nothing like a DIN/HELLA.

My F800 has the same thing... So I wired the Zumo direct to the battery. Dead easy on an F bike.

http://www.nippynormans.com/s1000r-and-s1000rr/lead-for-connecting-any-garmin-or-tomtom-gps-into-the-bmw-harness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use Zumo and can get very detailed path into it.

Have not seen mentioning (but maybe It is obvious): I use a SENA Bluetooth system to listen to the GPS indications on the headset speakers while keeping my eyes on the road. I really felt it makes a difference.

However passed a certain speed, becomes hard to hear.

pit

However passed a certain speed, becomes hard to hear.

Hope I am not teaching grandmar to suck eggs here, have you adjusted the position of the speakers.

I had same issue and tweaked the position of my speakers even 1/4" (6 mm) can make a big difference.

My misses thought I was nuts when I stuck her in front of telly with a bit of volume on and adjusted her speaker positions... We went to the shop to fit her for new helmet and they moved the speaker positions for some reason she was not and spent a whilst getting them just right again....

When she got her new helmet I fitted it all then she did the same to get it just right....

Had a go at Basecamp this afternoon. Took some time to get the basics. In fact it was very easy. I've made a loop of my favourite ride, uploaded it to my Zumo 340LM. Going to try it in the week :D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/cruxiform/Screen%20Shot%202016-10-01%20at%2017.15.02.png