Jump to content

Eifel, Germany. 2021


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It’s all moving forward 👏 

Plan B sounds intriguing. 

 

One big lesson from my trip down to Italy last September: as long as Covid remains a thing there is no absolute certainty about anything.

Also, I've never been a fan of last minute surprises. Brexit has put a spanner in the works too. as outsiders there is no absolute right to visit the EU. If a new variant appeared here, its very possible Germany might slam the door shut. so could the EU as a whole.. but thats absolute worst case. But if anyone were to say NO, its always likely to be the Germans, their politicos just don't like taking risks.

 

so yes, it makes sense to have a plan B. which I'll keep under wraps until we know what's what.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

 

One big lesson from my trip down to Italy last September: as long as Covid remains a thing there is no absolute certainty about anything.

Also, I've never been a fan of last minute surprises. Brexit has put a spanner in the works too. as outsiders there is no absolute right to visit the EU. If a new variant appeared here, its very possible Germany might slam the door shut. so could the EU as a whole.. but thats absolute worst case. But if anyone were to say NO, its always likely to be the Germans, their politicos just don't like taking risks.

 

so yes, it makes sense to have a plan B. which I'll keep under wraps until we know what's what.


I have a cynical suspicion the billions of pounds borrowed will mean politicians of all countries won’t care about new coronavirus’ unless they see rising hospital admissions or an increasing death toll that makes them unpopular and unless that happens in the main foreign money in the tourist industry coffers would be more than welcome. But yes I could envisage exactly the scenario you outline with Germany, a plan b is wise thing to have under your hat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Vis-a-vee getting proof of being jabbed - are people generally getting anything back post inoc. to wave about at the border guards/gendarm/patisserie workers? I'm not one to make a fuss like, in->jabbed->out is the plan - I can't be stood there asking for a note and explaining how I've got an important date with a schnitzel (or 3) in September, or maybe I can, especially if I've got another note explaining why from Big Geronotious as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, smallfrowne said:

Vis-a-vee getting proof of being jabbed - are people generally getting anything back post inoc. to wave about at the border guards/gendarm/patisserie workers? I'm not one to make a fuss like, in->jabbed->out is the plan - I can't be stood there asking for a note and explaining how I've got an important date with a schnitzel (or 3) in September, or maybe I can, especially if I've got another note explaining why from Big Geronotious as well.

When you have the vaccine you get proof handed to you. Keep that safe because I have a feeling it will become very important further down the line

 

i have a feeling it will be something the hotel will need to see and perhaps the border guard at the french gate.


we should know more by the start of summer.

 

looks like this

0B27F279-841F-4CCE-821E-EB59C25C1CA6.jpeg

Edited by Gerontious
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've messed up on this already. I'm on a vaccine trial. I was injected with something last year; perhaps it was a vaccine, perhaps it was sludge. 50:50 either way. No certificate of course, cos then I'd know whether I'd had the vaccine or not,  and they'd have to kick me off the trial.

Meanwhile, I'm now officially old enough to expect a call to be vaccinated in the next few weeks. If I do, I'd have to quit the trial. But if I don't, that's my chance of getting a certificate gone. Pppsssssht. No patisserie worker worth their salt is going to want to listen to let me anywhere near their tartes tatins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bonio said:

I've messed up on this already. I'm on a vaccine trial. I was injected with something last year; perhaps it was a vaccine, perhaps it was sludge. 50:50 either way. No certificate of course, cos then I'd know whether I'd had the vaccine or not,  and they'd have to kick me off the trial.

Meanwhile, I'm now officially old enough to expect a call to be vaccinated in the next few weeks. If I do, I'd have to quit the trial. But if I don't, that's my chance of getting a certificate gone. Pppsssssht. No patisserie worker worth their salt is going to want to listen to let me anywhere near their tartes tatins.


Dont suppose you know when the trial ends?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bonio said:

I've messed up on this already. I'm on a vaccine trial. I was injected with something last year; perhaps it was a vaccine, perhaps it was sludge. 50:50 either way. No certificate of course, cos then I'd know whether I'd had the vaccine or not,  and they'd have to kick me off the trial.

Meanwhile, I'm now officially old enough to expect a call to be vaccinated in the next few weeks. If I do, I'd have to quit the trial. But if I don't, that's my chance of getting a certificate gone. Pppsssssht. No patisserie worker worth their salt is going to want to listen to let me anywhere near their tartes tatins.


Dont panic. to get both shots before the off you have until around the 13th of June. so can delay until that date at least.

 

the first shot is followed by the second in 12 weeks or less. my own is 11 weeks to the day from the first.

 

so mark it on your calendar. talk to your specialist and tell them the score.

Edited by Gerontious
Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't booked anything but I still have my eurotunnel crossings from last year that I've pushed back once already and I'm hoping to be able to push back again. After 2 years of booking rooms at the travel lodge and not being able to turn up for either I'm tempted to hold off until I know its absolutely on!

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bungleaio said:

I haven't booked anything but I still have my eurotunnel crossings from last year that I've pushed back once already and I'm hoping to be able to push back again. After 2 years of booking rooms at the travel lodge and not being able to turn up for either I'm tempted to hold off until I know its absolutely on!


I’m sure someone will let you sleep on the floor when everything’s booked 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:


I’m sure someone will let you sleep on the floor when everything’s booked 😂

or you could end up pitching your tent 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bungleaio said:

I haven't booked anything but I still have my eurotunnel crossings from last year that I've pushed back once already and I'm hoping to be able to push back again. After 2 years of booking rooms at the travel lodge and not being able to turn up for either I'm tempted to hold off until I know its absolutely on!

 

Don’t worry about it, there are 3 hotels at or next door to, Eureka. There’s also a premier inn at the tunnel plus several others within 10 or so miles. It’s never been a problem in the past and I don’t see why it will be a problem this year. Leave it to the start of the summer when we have a clearer idea of how things are going to turn out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, smallfrowne said:

Ahh20130912_113257.jpg.356979e3455e723b04c3ed0fb7f57af8.jpg


I wonder if sideways said that when he went dramatically sideways into the ravine on that vary same road.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to believe its been more than 6 months since last years fiasco... where everyone dropped out due to Covid and I ended up going it alone down to the Dolomites. Anyway, tomorrow and it will be 25 weeks till we cross to France and head via Belgium into Luxembourg and then on to our base at Neuerburg.

 

Ive just done a loop route following the L10 for almost its entire length to its end at Burresheim Castle. and continued on to the Caldera lake, the remains of a Volcanic explosion that was 250X Mt St Helens and is considered to be active and the most dangerous volcano in europe - no less. Just for a bit of fun. (obviously).

 

Should be a fun day out as it includes the fantastic road to Bruttig-Fankel. as well as the A61 bridge over the Mosel. we'll go over it and then under it.

 

This year i want there to be a maximum of 8 going... and its possible that there may be a spare place, if anyone is interested. Cant make any promises just yet.. but it does seem likely So, if you fancy a riding holiday of 5 days... around 200 miles per  day and have some annual leave going spare plus a bike thats capable of motorway speeds. Then watch this space. I should have a clearer idea of whats happening by June. Which will leave plenty of time to get sorted.

 

Anyway.. some photos. first Bruttig-Fankel and that road.. which you can see above the town. The bridge over the Mosel. Burresheim Castle and the Caldera lake.

 

 

1024px-Bruttig01.jpg

Moseltalbrücke1.jpg

Buerresheim1.jpg

view-from-lydiaturm-near-maria-laach-germany_l.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.