Jump to content

How do you actually pick a bike?


Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

 

Right......I didn't think you were posh! You must be the posh one if you didn't know about "binning it" @Gerontious?


I suppose as posh as it’s possible for an ex kinda gog to be... though I managed to avoid going native. 
 

Off. Over. Prang. Are my lexicon. Binning just adds drama I guess. And who doesn’t like a bit of drama? I’m not sure it’s the word I would use though for an off that might be no more dramatic than a slightly scraped mirror 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always known binning/binned it as just an off :? 

 

Its the saying when selling a bike or allowing a mate to ride your bike "you bin it you win it" 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked my first bike because I wanted something relatively cheap, with a reliable engine that could be used all year round and off road. So it was the Kawasaki KLE500. I had also realised that if MCN loved a bike, it was unlikely I could fit on it and if they hated it, I would probably like it. They had the KLE500 as one of their lowest rated bikes reviewed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Throttled said:

I picked my first bike because I wanted something relatively cheap, with a reliable engine that could be used all year round and off road. So it was the Kawasaki KLE500. I had also realised that if MCN loved a bike, it was unlikely I could fit on it and if they hat ed it, I would probably like it. They had the KLE500 as one of their lowest rated bikes reviewed.

MCN( more crap news) are odd and have been for a long time 😒

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Six30 said:

My advice has no basis  than my own meandering experience , i will dispense this advice now ...

it depends how anal you are , ooh i need a fairing cause of the wind, i need luggage cause im to weak for a rucksack blah blah blah..

what i can tell you when you do get a bike is when you park it up and walk away from it and you turn round to look at it and it makes you smile you have chosen the right bike.

Saved me the bother Six . That's exactly how I feel about bikes . 👍👍👍😉

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only two bikes that I have made a decision to get and actually waited until the right one came along were my GSX 1100 ET and my current Harley . All the rest have just sort of happened . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I traded my ZZR1100 for a CBR600  I then traded my CBR600 for a fazer1000 which I have had since 2005, the thing is the only bike of the three that I really wanted was the ZZR, the other two I just saw in the dealers and liked so bought, both great bikes so it took me a while to find the bike I liked the best and kept, so you may not get it right first time but it is a lot of fun doing the looking.😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Silentbob83 said:

 That’s what I was trying to get at albeit in a very long winded way...to understand how everyone decides on the bike to buy.

Have people bought ‘dream’ bikes, however you define dream, liked it, loved it or hated it. I guess because the dealers locally at least have said effectively no test rides, I’m not sure just sitting on it will be enough.

 

someone mentioned the XJ6, which is in my shortlist. 
 

To answer  Six...I’m not sure if I NEED a fairing, only ever ridden naked bikes wind hasn’t been an issue- so nothing to compare if it is better with to be honest. Although the XJ6 mentioned above is fully faired, but not a deal breaker.

 

And I also wear a backpack on the bike now, only when I go to my transplant clinic once a month as I need to carry my meds and paperwork etc.

 

appreciate all the answers/feedback.

Personally, I think you only need to know how much power you want which you can only know compared to previous bikes I.e you rode a bike with 70bhp was it enough, do you want more/less etc. Then sit in it and see if you like the riding position. 

 

Maybe no test rides but ask about a 1 day return policy from the dealer. Buy it and only return and refund if you don't like it? A faff for sure, but better than nowt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Silentbob83 said:

 That’s what I was trying to get at albeit in a very long winded way...to understand how everyone decides on the bike to buy.

Have people bought ‘dream’ bikes, however you define dream, liked it, loved it or hated it. I guess because the dealers locally at least have said effectively no test rides, I’m not sure just sitting on it will be enough.

 

someone mentioned the XJ6, which is in my shortlist. 
 

To answer  Six...I’m not sure if I NEED a fairing, only ever ridden naked bikes wind hasn’t been an issue- so nothing to compare if it is better with to be honest. Although the XJ6 mentioned above is fully faired, but not a deal breaker.

 

And I also wear a backpack on the bike now, only when I go to my transplant clinic once a month as I need to carry my meds and paperwork etc.

 

appreciate all the answers/feedback.

Personally, I think you only need to know how much power you want which you can only know compared to previous bikes I.e you rode a bike with 70bhp was it enough, do you want more/less etc. Then sit in it and see if you like the riding position. 

 

Maybe no test rides but ask about a 1 day return policy from the dealer. Buy it and only return and refund if you don't like it? A faff for sure, but better than nowt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes just browsing images online can be a source of inspiration . When you see something you like , go to YouTube where you will find loads of walkaround and test ride videos . When I was looking for a Harley I initially wanted a Dyna Glide but after a lot of research I arrived at this particular model of Sportster . Twin discs and a simple carburettor plus the new to 2004 rubber mounted engine were all deciding factors . Then I watched this video and a few others  and I was sold . Two years of searching and trying to sell my GSXR later and I got exactly what I set out to get . One significant thing though was that I had another bike on the road as a runabout . I doubt I would have been as patient if I was off the road altogether . 

 

Polish_20201231_105758055.png

Polish_20200530_230245868.jpg

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, fastbob said:

I doubt I would have been as patient if I was off the road altogether . 

 

Very true. Both My Wife & I have bought cars in the past that we weren't entirely enamoured with but needed something fast as we had no other transport 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

 

Very true. Both My Wife & I have bought cars in the past that we weren't entirely enamoured with but needed something fast as we had no other transport 

off topic .... bikes not cars , thankyou.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geofferz said:

Personally, I think you only need to know how much power you want which you can only know compared to previous bikes I.e you rode a bike with 70bhp was it enough, do you want more/less etc. Then sit in it and see if you like the riding position. 

 

Maybe no test rides but ask about a 1 day return policy from the dealer. Buy it and only return and refund if you don't like it? A faff for sure, but better than nowt. 


That’s a very valid point. And the SV650 felt more than enough.

 

I like the idea of the one day return idea- won’t know unless I ask.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have returned to biking after a break of about 20 years. I haven’t actually ridden many bikes. … I wasn’t sure what bike would suit me. I was tempted by the Royal Enfield Interceptor.… I’m afraid I was a bit put off them by memories of RE as old fashioned technology. I think I may have been wrong. I was looking at the Honda CB500 and I think that would have suited me. But I tried a Kawasaki Z650 and it seemed to fit and just feel right. … I’m quite sure I would have felt the same if I had ridden an MT07 or maybe the SV650 … I’ve never ridden a bike with a fairing so I don’t know if I would like that or not. … my riding is such that I can’t imagine wanting more than 70hp. It’s quite sufficient for me … yeah so my rambling is really saying just get the bike that feels right at the time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just like to add a note of caution. Do not buy a bike off eBay after midnight after a night at a beer festival. *cough*

C6F3701A-4B6F-48DE-8688-305074835620.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M
Image added
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davidtav said:

Well I have returned to biking after a break of about 20 years. I haven’t actually ridden many bikes. … I wasn’t sure what bike would suit me. I was tempted by the Royal Enfield Interceptor.… I’m afraid I was a bit put off them by memories of RE as old fashioned technology. I think I may have been wrong. I was looking at the Honda CB500 and I think that would have suited me. But I tried a Kawasaki Z650 and it seemed to fit and just feel right. … I’m quite sure I would have felt the same if I had ridden an MT07 or maybe the SV650 … I’ve never ridden a bike with a fairing so I don’t know if I would like that or not. … my riding is such that I can’t imagine wanting more than 70hp. It’s quite sufficient for me … yeah so my rambling is really saying just get the bike that feels right at the time. 

have you thought about a kawasaki w650 ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, skyrider said:

why did you win that one :classic_smile:

Yes. 
 

I kept it for a year then flogged it for the same as I paid for it. It was a fine bike, one I loved the look of from the first time I saw one. Common sense told me it wasn’t the right bike for me, though. Norwich Beer Festival has a lot to answer for. 😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.