Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Good evening all,

 

First of all thanks for the welcome into my first steps of biking and hopefully not being too rude in asking an immediate question! (ADMIN, should I add this to training section?)

Looking for a DAS course over either 5 or 7 days to obtain my full motorcycle licence, finding it difficult at the moment.  My background is as follows;

 

50yo (ok, been told midlife crisis already).

NO motorbike experience.

33yrs full car licence holder.

Institute of Advanced Motorists member.  Already purchased Motorcycle Roadcraft book to go alongside my well worn Roadcraft car copy.

Sat and passed DVSA motorcycle theory test this week.

Live in Glasgow area but willing to travel for the training and take time off work.

Plan to purchase a bike around 850cc once qualified. 

 

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll be fine, although if you try and execute some principles of Roadcraft on your test the examiner may actually give you some faults! The DVSA like a simple middle of the road position for your test.

 

I'm guessing you don't have a training school booked yet? They're likely to be busy at the mo so get enquiring. But the type of course you're looking for is more than suitable.

 

I'm not sure if any active members here are out your way for recommendations, if not the dreaded Facebook usually has some local groups

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I will say is that as you are an experienced driver you’ll notice that until you get the muscle memory and coordination on the bike your hazard perception may decrease a bit as your concentration will be back to yourself and the bike. 
 

I did my DAS back in 2006 at the age of 36. I was a driving instructor at the time and for a short time I noticed I was missing things while riding around town and not reading the road as well as in a car. 
I eventually worked out what was going on. All my attention was directed towards controlling the bike. 
As I settled into it I could feel my concentration and awareness get further out and eventually be the same as being in the car. 
 

I don’t know if that makes sense at the minute but maybe something to be aware of. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

NO motorcycle experience, and looking to buy a bike "around 850cc".

 

There's no reason why you can't do that of course, it just sounds very specific.  I suggest you keep a much more open mind until you get what different bikes feel like - there are many more things than the capacity of the engine that can make you love (or hate) a bike.

 

Anyway, good luck with the training.  I hope you enjoy it and get a bike you love.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome @SC7OTT.


I live in the Glasgow area so know the main test centre is in Shieldhall. Have you contacted any Bike schools in the area to see if they have any availability? My mate is in the same boat as you where he has decided to pick up motorcycling but is on the waiting list as everyone is trying to get their license just now so the backlog is quite long.

 

Like others have said, getting a 850cc for your first big is not advisable especially if you've never ridden a motorcycle before but it's your choice. 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you're not in a rush! .. Bike schools near me a fully booked up because of lockdown and so is the test centre. 

 

Lockdown has caused a huge logjam of people trying to get their bike licence.

 

You could make a start by getting your CBT done.

Edited by KiwiBob
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JackieOWheels said:

Like others have said, getting a 850cc for your first big is not advisable especially if you've never ridden a motorcycle before but it's your choice. 🤣


This is a difficult one my first bike Yamaha FZ6 was a hooligan machine compared with my present TDM900 which is a bit more sedate.  

Another route to getting on road could be do your CBT (which is a requirement anyway) get 125cc cover afew miles whilst doing lesson. Someone will jump in giving negatives of this route shortly, I am glad I did it this way.  A well chosen second hand 125cc bike will not loose significant value, in this time some even make money on them.

Your DAS still consists of Mod1 and Mod 2 you cannot sit Mod2 until you have passed your Mod 1, this can be the downfall of doing intensive course.

As others have said at the moment schools and exams are all stuffed up post covid.  
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, onesea said:


This is a difficult one my first bike Yamaha FZ6 was a hooligan machine compared with my present TDM900 which is a bit more sedate.  

Another route to getting on road could be do your CBT (which is a requirement anyway) get 125cc cover afew miles whilst doing lesson. Someone will jump in giving negatives of this route shortly, I am glad I did it this way.  A well chosen second hand 125cc bike will not loose significant value, in this time some even make money on them.

Your DAS still consists of Mod1 and Mod 2 you cannot sit Mod2 until you have passed your Mod 1, this can be the downfall of doing intensive course.

As others have said at the moment schools and exams are all stuffed up post covid.  
 

I’m glad I did it this way too. I understand that others think it’s better like this and other others think straight to DAS is best. 
mum 18months on a 125 helped with insurance on my 600 and my experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

I’m glad I did it this way too. I understand that others think it’s better like this and other others think straight to DAS is best. 
mum 18months on a 125 helped with insurance on my 600 and my experience.

 

Ditto! I did the exact same. Built up NCD helped with insurance on my current bike.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 50 when I booked my das last year. If you do the intensive course it puts a huge amount of pressure on you to learn quick and pass tests first time as if you fail mod 1 you cannot take mod 2. On the first day of my das I realized just how stressed I was thinking about how quick the tests were coming up and worrying if I was going to be good enough in time. As luck would have due to covid and a couple of other issues I ended up getting lessons when I could and when I felt ready I did mod 1 ( passed a couple of weeks ago)I've got my mod 2 in June. For me personally this was a much better way to do it I enjoyed my lessons rather than feeling stressed every time I made a mistake and I felt so much more confident doing my mod 1.

 

Whatever you choose I hope you manage to get it sorted soon 👊

Edited by Spongefinger
Spellings
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a 125 Yamaha just after doing my CBT I got some miles under my belt for a few months then went DAS.

It was the best thing for me as I dont think I could have passed my DAS without the experience on the little bike.

I sold it and got all my money back so well pleased. John.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, fifthwheel said:

I bought a 125 Yamaha just after doing my CBT I got some miles under my belt for a few months then went DAS.

It was the best thing for me as I dont think I could have passed my DAS without the experience on the little bike.

I sold it and got all my money back so well pleased. John.

Snap 😁 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the DAS intensive thing: one week from CBT to passing Mod2 - or my case, to failing Mod1 and game over. Eventually got through Mod 1 and Mod 2 a month later on.

If I were doing it again, I'd do DAS but on a more relaxed schedule, over a month or so.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.