Leathers for a 125 rider

Hi All,

I've been riding my 125 now for nearly 2 months, all the time my clothing as been textiles, my birthday is coming up on Friday and I was thinking of getting some 'draggin jeans' but after reading some other forums everyone seems to suggest leathers as the best option....Now my question is this, when I first bought my textiles the guy in the shop told me that no guys who ride 125's wear leathers, is this the case or should I just go ahead anyway for safetys sake???? Please don't flame me for asking this, serious answers plz....

Cheers guys

Danny

Mate, I'm on a 125 and go out in leathers every time, pants+jacket, not a one-piece, safety all the time. Thinking of getting some draggin jeans though for the summer, gets a bit hot under this cowskin in the sun.

I`m of the opinion that if someone has invented something to save your skin, USE IT.

Coming off at 50 on a 125 is the same as coming off on a Gixxer 1000. The tarmac don`t know the difference. In other words your dealer was a bit of a twat in saying that, get protected, get the leathers.

• Like 2

Hi Guys

Tx again for all the advice, don't hang about me, just been to Hein Gericke and bought myself a pair of there own leather trousers 'Router II' priced at £99.99 which I only paid £72 for plus a Arlen Ness leather jacket priced at £349.99 which I paid £213.49 for so I think I did ok there....

Tx again for all the advice.....

Danny

Two good safe brands there, you know they're going to protect you, I came off my 125 not too long ago, without leathers it would have caused a fair graze and skin would have come off with some pain. As I was wearing my leathers I didn't feel a thing. Plus you've made the initial investment, you can keep them when you get a bigger bike.

Always put them on though, it's that time you think "I'm only nipping out" that you will probably fall off, sods law.

I thought people at my work would take the piss with only being on a 125 and having full leathers, boots, gloves, the lot. It was quite the opposite, people know it's for safety and if they don't and try to take the piss, offer them a ride, they will quickly decline.

Definitley a good thing getting leathers.I wouldnt want to come off at 20 nevermind 60-70's.

I use HG's own brand leather pants with textile jacket,appear to be well made nice thick leather.On power ranger days i use a 1 piece Arlen Ness suit and thats well made too.Also look to get a decent lid,gloves and boots unless you already have them.

On the plus side if you upgrade your bike youve got the gear aswell.

• 1 month later...

hi im new to this site.. i think it would be scilly to think you shouldnt be wearing leathers in a 125cc motorcycle, i wear leathers on my 125, and i dont wear it to look cool or anything. i have a sachs 125 v-twin, i ride from torbay to tiverton and back twice a week, about 100miles. i feel alot safer wearing them with all the cars or when im boxed in via huge trucks, and all i can see are these huge wheels spinning around at a hundered knots going passed me lol. also i feel alot less stupid than the guys who ride on thier powerbikes wearing t-shirts and flip-flops.. end the end of the day, coming off at 70 or even 30, it ant no fun and leathers could save your life one day.

• 11 years later...
1 hour ago, D jj said:

What about on 125cc moped 

would one wear a leather jacket 

Why not????

When things go wrong it still hurts as much falling of a 125cc moped as falling of a 1000cc superbike.

Edited by Yorky
Typo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, D jj said:

What about on 125cc moped 

would one wear a leather jacket 

Probably not. I would suggest you opt for a good set of textiles instead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic on style of bike - matching level of gear. 

My first jacket was an Alpinestars Atem V on a CB125F. You could say that was overkill as I wasn't hitting any race tracks, but I didn't look out of place as the bike is sports style and I wanted the safest protection I could afford.

I wonder if people wear full leathers on a Vespa 125cc. To me, they're synonymous with business suits or similar smart casual attire (especially in Europe) that look cool but offer 0 protection. 

Get the leathers & more importantly, get the boots. You'll see more people on crutches from bike accidents than road rash bandages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, techniques said:

Interesting topic on style of bike - matching level of gear. 

My first jacket was an Alpinestars Atem V on a CB125F. You could say that was overkill as I wasn't hitting any race tracks, but I didn't look out of place as the bike is sports style and I wanted the safest protection I could afford.

I wonder if people wear full leathers on a Vespa 125cc. To me, they're synonymous with business suits or similar smart casual attire (especially in Europe) that look cool but offer 0 protection. 

Get the leathers & more importantly, get the boots. You'll see more people on crutches from bike accidents than road rash bandages.

one of my first jackets was a sportex and i had it for years i think it new it's own way over to the iom

I used to wear leathers while riding my wife's scooter sometimes. Especially if it was a ten mile ride from a service.

On my commuter scooter I wear textile gear. Only for the waterproof membrane though.

Wear what you like. Nobody ever came off a bike and said, I had too much protection on.

On 20/04/2010 at 21:52, dannyringking said:

Hi All,

I've been riding my 125 now for nearly 2 months, all the time my clothing as been textiles, my birthday is coming up on Friday and I was thinking of getting some 'draggin jeans' but after reading some other forums everyone seems to suggest leathers as the best option....Now my question is this, when I first bought my textiles the guy in the shop told me that no guys who ride 125's wear leathers, is this the case or should I just go ahead anyway for safetys sake???? Please don't flame me for asking this, serious answers plz....

Cheers guys

Danny

The guy in the shop is a bell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1