Wide calf motorcycle boots?

Hi there,

I am having trouble finding some decent bike boots that fit me – I have quite wide calves (calfs?) & find that the standard boots only barely zip up & the velcro doesn’t hold – at the moment I wear some generic lace up boots but they are such a faff to get on & off. Has anybody got any idea where I can get hold of some (non-expensive) boots with either wide calf fit or that have lacing & a zip please?

Cheers :)

Jen

Hi Jen, I'm having the same problem. I can't fully zip up my old Oxtar boots any more and the velcro doesn't quite meet. Which isn't very reassuring. This is because I have mild lymphoedema in my legs following cancer treatment. So far I haven't found any bike boots that fit over my leathers and fasten fully. However, in normal boots I have no problems at all, I don't even need the wide fitting variety and again I don't have any problems with ski boots. For some bizarre reason bike boots seem to be designed for people with chicken legs.

My other option is to buy 'bootcut' leather trousers for the bike so that the boots fit underneath, but I often struggle to find trousers that are long enough.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

Frankthomas do Ladies boots with a wider calf fitting...

Frank Thomas Grace Boot Ladies Black

The 2010 Frank Thomas, available in UK sizes 4 to 7

£99.98 (£85.09 ex VAT)

Size37(UK4) Size38(UK5) Size39(UK6) Size40(UK6.5) Size 41(UK 7)Add to cart...

* Specifically designed for women with a unique new contoured sole.

* Full Grain Leather construction.

* Aquapour Advanced waterproof / breathable membrane lining.

* Elasticated insert at the sides and calf improve comfort and allow a wide ranging fit.

* Leather gear change pad with stitching detail.

* Inner and outer ankle discs.

* Reflective insert at heel for improved visibility in low light.

* Oil resistant anti-slip sole with honeycomb design.

* Colour: black

* Available s/s2010

Frank-Thomas-Grace-Boot-Ladies-Black_390_1J5I9.jpg.3e64d8f938a1b81ce188dfdf4e65d088.jpg

Ooh fab - thank you all for your replies!! :) Boots of all types are a problem unfortunately...

Mojobanana - yikes!! :o The Sidi Vertigo look fab but just seen the price tag!! I'll have a look on ebay though :)

WalneyFrankie - that looks like a good option - Frank Thomas are meant to be quite good yeah?

I'll try and find somewhere near me that stocks them and have a trying on session if possible :)

Queen Bodecia - I tend to put my trousers over my boots anyway to be honest, purely out of laziness though! I need to get some new trousers anyway so will have a think about fitting the boots and trousers together... I have the opposite problem with trousers - being munchkin sized, unless I can get short leg, they all have to be turned up.

Ruthie - I tried ankle boots one time (also wore my work slipper shoes another time - a whole other story!) - the bike I was on was particularly clunky but every time we went over a bump another layer of skin came off my ankles - not exactly a big injury but it stung like buggary!

Guest philgale

iv got massive legs, only boots iv got to fit properly are the alpinstars supertech r, depending if budget can stretch to them...i paid 300 notes and its the best 300 quid iv ever spent....because they are a ratchet style rather than velcro if you get the first click they are secure

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/2008_Alpinestars_Supertech_R_Boots.jpg

other than that oxtar are about the best...

Guest philgale

i thought about the ankle boots as i got fed up of trying boot after boot just to stick them back on shelf, but im not convinced the protection they offer so would always get full boots...

the ones i have you can see the elasticated zip on the right boot and towards the top of the zip inside its elasticated both sides so even i can get them all the way up, and as i said about the ratchet system works really well for bigger legs as 1 click is as strong as 20 clicks...

was going to suggest the supertechs too :)

i have the same problem and tried on loads of boots before deciding to have some custom fitted. not cheap but not as expensive as i'd feared. and well worth it.

women's calves start lower down the leg than a man's and this difference in shape is why men's boots often don't fit us girls.

my last boots where oxtar - not expensive, comfy and hard wearing. would recommend :thumb:

Again similar problem and I don't think I have very chunky legs either :shock:

Just got a pair of Sidi Vertigos off flea bay and can Highly reccomend them.

They start at £189 but if there is a buy it now offer just ask for about £150 which is what I got mine for.

Ooh this is brilliant - thanks for all your suggestions :)

Philgale – I’m not sure I can stretch to 300 but the ratchet idea sounds like a good one – is there material between the ratchet & your leg to stop it from pinching?

Philgale & bigsisterbiker - Just been having a look at the Oxtar site – is there any particular one you’d recommend or is it all just down to personal preference?

Fazerboy – not fussed about them being waterproof but comfort is a big factor – those on ebay may well be ideal – was more than I was planning to pay but if I get this pension refund I may well go for them - thanks for finding them!!

Rosie – good point – I didn’t even think to haggle!

I wish there was a way I could try on all these different types to see which fit – I may have to take a long lunch break and go find the couple of bike shops in Leeds – I know theres J&S on Regent street and Colin Appleyard on Roseville street, and a couple in Bradford – can anyone recommend any others in West Yorkshire (preferably Leeds)?

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

The shop I work in on Saturdays stocks Alpinestars and a Swedish brand called Halvorssens/Lindstrand/Jofama (three brands, one company), plus a bit of leftover Frank Thomas stock. Absolute nothing in the FT or Alpinestars range would fasten properly on my legs, but the Lindstrand range has several boots with no zips at all, an internal quick pull lace and very wide strong velcro tab. Hey presto I can get these on over my leathers, so I'm getting a pair at work next week. They're pretty good value for money too. In fact, overall I'm really impressed with the Halvorssens/Lindstrand/Jofama ranges.

• 2 weeks later...

your all lucky... im in a size 8 n have size 10 ankle boots... sidi vertigo cant even get on last of rear straps..

just tried the alpine stars n same ..... looks like crosser boots for me.... unless some 1 got any other ideas

cheeeeeers :crybaby:

Silver b, like I said above try the Halvarssons/Lindstrands ranges. Many of their boots have no zip fastening which gives a much greater range of adjustment. I tried pretty much everything on and NOTHING with a zip could be fully fastened over my legs, Alpinestars were quite possibly the worst.