Registration is quick and easy 

Help! Anyone know anything about my rights as a landlady?

mojobanana

Hi,

I need help. I've had a lodger for a short while and recently he gave notice, but he still has my front door key. I emailed him shortly after he said he wouldn't be back asking for him to return it and giving him the full postal address in case he was no longer in the area. That was on the 9th Sept and I still haven't got the key.

Anyone know what my rights are with regards to this? Obviously I'm uncomfortable with someone having my front door key when they've no right to, and possibly accessing my home when I'm not there. I also do not want the hassle and expense of having my locks changed. It's really starting to bug me now. I've emailed him again today asking for the return of my key but I need to know what action I can take if he still doesn't return it.

Help!

Did you have a contract with him? There is not really alot you can do about it, even if he sent the key back to you there is nothing to say that he never got another one cut therfore he could get in when ever he wanted if he was so inclined.......

When ever I or any of my mates have moved into rented houses we have always insisted that the land lord/lady change the locks prior to moving in. As far as I am conserned its the only safe way!!

i'm not sure how correct i am here but might help,

i rent out a flat and before i let any tenant in, i take two months rent deposit and then a contract is drawen up.

now the deposit goes to a third party (agency) for such things like what you are in now. ie the deposit wouldnt be returned but your locks would be changed if the third party finds it just to do so. although the tenant can challenge this (a problem i'm havin at the moment).

but if no deposit or contract and if you didnt inform your insurance company, its for you to head the bill i think.

you could claim on the insurance if you had lodger cover, but insurance companies tend to exclude theft cover when a lodger is present (check your docs.)

hope this helps....

Wait until you have Kids Jo. There must be about 50 keys for our house lost at local parks

I've never lost my house key! :lol:

*Touches wood* place your bets for when i come back saying ive lost them now :lol:

To take him to court will cost u more than having a new lock fitted.I would fit a combination lock so u could change the number as u need.

combination locks are suprisingly easy to crack..[/quote The simplex surface lock has 200000 combination and cost about £60.It has letters and numbers.

Panic over, but thanks for your comments.

He replied to the email I sent today and admitted not returning the key had been an oversight and will post it back to me forthwith.

Me bad, I'm a trusting type so no contract and no deposit. Needless to say, new lodger will be required to pay and sign!!!

problem still stands though with them having a spare key cut that they don't return. The only way around it is to swap the locks which is expensive. But if you swap locks with another house maybe your own back door. Even if they do have a key they won't know where the lock is that it fits.

I honestly doubt that it would even enter his head to do any harm to me. He's a well-off, 65 year old chartered surveyor who lives in Harrogate. The contents of my little house are of no consequence to him.

I also have his home address, work address and phone number should the fellas in blue need them ;)

But if he wasnt a threat, you would not of been too fussed if he had a key still? Think is a fair point about getting locks changed, cant be too careful. Someone I know rented their flat out to 2 people, they are now squating there, and she cant do anything, it is going to take 2-3 months to go through court, she cant access property, or "harrass" her squaters. This country is ridiculous!

But if he wasnt a threat, you would not of been too fussed if he had a key still?

It was more a matter of principle...It's my key, I want it back.

That is a good idea about swapping front and back locks though, they are identical types so might be an option should I feel the need. Of course my super-aggressive guard dog is a deterrent too. Yes, I do mean that 4 year old puppy snoring gently in her bed who wags her tail at everyone who comes through the door.

But if he wasnt a threat, you would not of been too fussed if he had a key still? Think is a fair point about getting locks changed, cant be too careful. Someone I know rented their flat out to 2 people, they are now squating there, and she cant do anything, it is going to take 2-3 months to go through court, she cant access property, or "harrass" her squaters. This country is ridiculous!

Jeez.. That sounds like a complete Nightmare! Really hope they get it all sorted ASAP..

Mojo, good to see it's all sorted.. I would look into prices for locks anyway, just in case.. :)

about the squatters, i no9 what i would do if they were in my flat the ****************

but truthfully i wouldnt worry bout the key situation if you really dont think he is a problem dont bother bout it, that type of thinkin can get you sent away, if everyone was a criminal no one would have any mates, dont worry bout it but nexdt time think money and signin lol

Of course my super-aggressive guard dog is a deterrent too. Yes, I do mean that 4 year old puppy snoring gently in her bed who wags her tail at everyone who comes through the door.

I have two of those although a little older..........well knocking on for 10

Tails wagging and all excited at the thought that you might have actually come to visit them :lol: :lol:

But just try getting in without us being here to let you in :twisted:

The labby barked (only once mind) when we had a chinese delivered the other night.

When I opened the door the delivery guy was down by the front gate babbling on about a big scarey dog LMAO

Regarding the post with the squatters, there used to be a nice big empty house in Liverpool that was empty and boarded up. Big sign nailed to the front door simply said "Any squatters will have their legs broken" Didn't see a soul in there! If I ever rented out either of my properties and had a squatter problem I would simply tell them that if they are still there after a week they will get their legs broken. You gotta be mighty brave to take that risk I think if they stayed!

As for you Jo, I am glad it's sorted out. For what it is worth you can get a decent barrel lock from B&Q for £15, 5 min job to replace it, simple really if you want to change the lock.