aprilia rs 50 wont rev above 8k

Guest trogs109

hi everyone

new on here but thought someone may be able to help, problem is my sons 2003 aprilia rs50 wont seem to rev above 8-9 k, can force it to by going up a gear then to 8k an down again but wont seem to go past it normally.

This was with a normal exhaust and arrow end can, changed back to original can an its doing it again. The needle just seems to jump around between 8-9k revs and I have no ideas.

thanks for any advice as its really appreciated and thanks for looking

trogs

• 2 months later...

If the bike will pull about 45mph or more, then it's derestricted (by the sounds of it) fully. Some bikes (including one I know if (Gilera DNA 50)) will only rev to about 8.5k on the flat, but you may be able to make them run higher when giving it the beans down a hill. If it's doing this then it's just simply running out of power, and cant rev higher. Hope this helps.

Due to it being an rs, and geared, i believe the restriction is in the cdi, which stops it going over 8k. You have to check if the bridge in the cdi is intact or not. You get to it through the back of the cdi, where its filled in with what appears to be black silicone sealant. Thats what my rs125 is like anyway, and I believe the 50 is pretty much the same.