security devise suggestions for a new yamaha ybr 2010

My bike is going to be stored in a garage at night, and in a locked compound at work.

I am looking for some extra security features for when I park it outside shops, boxing gym etc... Especially the gym, its not in the best part of the city.

Of course I am going to buy a chain asap, but of course sometimes there will be nothing around to chain the bike to.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

any lock is better than none, but must be used. if you dont have anything to chain to, then suggest 2 locks, one for the front wheel the other for the rear.

this is becuase whilst grown men can lift and drag a bike, its harder if both wheels are secured, (the rear one won't roll aiding their attempt..)

a cover also helps to stop prying eyes, and keeps it dry.

Priority order (best to worst):

1. Chain through the frame to an immovable object (as you're aware) - the bigger and better this chain is, the more effective it is. Additionally security in the form of an alarm recommended. Covered would be even better.

Note: Disc locks can be used as a 2nd best to chains. An alarmed disc lock counts as both chain equivalent, and alarmed (as although physically easier to break off than a chain, i believe the alarmed element would take a little longer to disable than a bike alarm, to make up for that).

So in absence of scenario 1...:

2. Chain through both wheels (maybe 2 separate ones to allow this), or equivalent. Alarm of some sort enabled . Bike covered.

3. Chain through rear wheel and shocks, or equivalent. Alarm of some sort enabled. Bike covered.

4. Chain through both wheels (maybe 2 separate ones to allow this), or equivalent. Alarm of some sort enabled . Bike not covered.

5. Chain through rear wheel and shocks, or equivalent. Alarm of some sort enabled. Bike not covered.

6. Chain through front wheel and shocks, or equivalent. Alarm of some sort enabled. Bike covered.

7. Chain through front wheel and shocks, or equivalent. Alarm of some sort enabled. Bike not covered. (e.g. of this is alarmed disc lock only).

Note: I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a bike without an alarm to alert me to it moving, i suppose that would be option 8 and beyond... It should be apparent i see physical security as most important, followed by alarms (as you won't hear an attempted lift-into-the-van theft without one unless you happen to be very close), followed by covering/hiding the bike, and finally things like tagging which should not be relied on alone.

Note: Front wheels are far quicker to remove (don't get me wrong, rear wheels alone can be removed FAST - it's just that by putting it through the shocks too it becomes slower).

Note: Be very careful about relying on only one layer of security, as once it's bypassed, your bike is gone.

Also note: The list above is purely as i believe and as level of security goes. Some of it is clearly more faff and effort and irritation, irrespective of how high or low on the priority list it is. For example, there are many times i'd happily use an alarmed disc lock only (if i owned one), despite it being at the bottom. Conversely, you won't find me doing option 2 (chain through both wheels, alarm and cover) often if ever! (although i happily use option 1, chain and alarm only, plenty).

I'm likely to have made a mistake with the over-complex list above (sorry about that, i wanted to be reasonably thorough, although i decided against doing a comprehensive list lest i be here all night!), so expect edits and feel free to point out possible errors.

Consider a stickered tagging system as it will complement any combination of security, i think AlphaDot is cheapest and therefore best.

Just remember, if you use a disc lock, to take it off before you move the bike! Some people have forgotten & damaged the disc!!

You can get some sort of fluorescent-coloured plastic flexi cord that can be attached to the disc lock & hooked around bars/brake lever/clutch lever to remind you that the lock is there!

I'm going to be getting a new bike in a few weeks and I'm buying another chain so I will have two, and having an alarm fitted. Just make sure it's an alarm that is accepted by your insurance and make sure the chains are big, thick and are armoured chains so that they meet your insurance standards and keep your bike secured.

Heff