Hole in my exhaust

Aaron

Hey. Would a little hole in the back box cause a loss of power? The bike started feeling weird half way home this afternoon and i thought i had a flat tyre or something. I dodn't, so i went for a blast to test it and it's definately down on the power by a good amount. WHen i got home i got on my hands and knees and could feel a little puff of gas on my hand when i waved it underneath which alerted me to a small little hole.

Also, the box boxy bit at the back - that's called a back box right? I don't wanna sound like a tool when i see the dealer :D

Bikes only been on the road 7 months and i've had my pipes snap off and now a hole! The bike is kept very clean too.

Should a hole in the back box, after just 7 months, be a warrenty job?

Thanks.

** ER-6, btw, not the 675.

Is it a rusted hole or a hole to allow the water to drain off?

And black boxy thing... is that like the Cat box?

I'd have thought its a warranty job, i mean 7 months is nothing and you shouldnt be getting rust problems (if it is?) :shock:

hope its sorted anyway :thumb:

Is it a rusted hole or a hole to allow the water to drain off?

And black boxy thing... is that like the Cat box?

I'd have thought its a warranty job, i mean 7 months is nothing and you shouldnt be getting rust problems (if it is?) :shock:

hope its sorted anyway :thumb:

Thanks for the replies. I only got a quick look, but there's no visible rust anywhere on the exhaust. It looked just like it had burned a little hole through.

If it's to drain water out I shouldn't feel any gas puffing out, right? I did see other holes that were obviously supposed to be there. They were perfectly round and clean. This one is teeny and all black round the edges.

Everything is always such an effort! Stuff never just works!

Nothing i can think of. It seemed to start randomly half way through my journey home from work. I pulled away from the lights and nearly red-lined it while the speedo slowly crept up from 30 to 40 mph.

Ok, i better take a closer look at the hole before i call up the garage. Thanks.

If you can't see anything obviously wrong with it- take it in and let them figure it out! :P.

I was just paranoid that it was because i got used to the daytona. But, tbh, at legal speeds there's not much difference except the power is more "effortless".

Cheers fellas. I'll have to have a crawl on the floor to check it out.

Yeah, definitely a man-made hole. I suppose i'll have to go for another spin to try and figure it out (it seems to me most noticable in lower gears and lower speeds where i usually get lots of torque).

Thanks again for the replies. By making me hold off and take a closer look saved me from looking like a right plonker in front of the mechanic! Last time when i called up about the pipes, as if i knew what i was talking about, he ordered the new parts there and then. That would be embarrassing :P

Just an update:

Since i put new petrol in this afternoon things seem alot better. Could be coincidence but i reckon the petrol might have done the trick. Someone asked whether i filled up from somewhere different before and I said no, but i think i remember the scenario now. I'd just got the bike serviced and went out for a blast the next day. Just at the turn-around point, after filling up, it started hammering it down so hard that i did the next 60 or 70 miles REALLY slowly, so if it was playing up then i wouldn't have noticed maybe.

Still seems odd that i noticed something halfway home from work that first time. As if i was on slippery leaves and wasnt getting all the power turned into forward motion. But it seems ok now. Fingers crossed 8-)