Anybody with a Speed triple ??

quark

A couple of quick questions,

First any idea what these pipes are?? I think they are the overflow pipes, but when cleaning it tonight I saw they were just haning loose under the centre area, should htese be secured anywhere?

Second, my 09 6k Speed triple seems to have a small problem, nothing serious I think, but the rpm's are a bit erratic. It seems to jump about 200-300rpm constantly. I don't remember it doing this on the test ride or the ride home, but i have noticed it alot over the last couple of days and it makes slow controll a little lumpy, at higher speed its not noticable, but when I open the trottle a bit when out of gear I can see it is still doing it then. Is this normal? The only thing thats happend to it this week is that I put 60miles on the clock and a tank of fuel in it (could be a duff batch I guess).

Thanks for any help.

pipes.thumb.jpg.ab22d4b4d515185736c363a4fa61020d.jpg

OverFlow Pipes??

they could be breather pipes...

Thanks argentum40.

I was taking another look, and I found the real overflow pipes. So, as they were def not them, and because I also noticed that the ends were slightly deformed (as if they had been fitted to another pipe), I started to look where they could possibly reach. And after taking of a bit of the side fairing I can see that there are two down pipes from the bottom of the fuel tank that I suspect are where these should fit, the problem is I dont know which goes to which at the moment. So I need a diagram or a friendly S3 owner to check for me. I may try to get to the local triumph place and take a look at one of theirs tomorrow :-)

I think they may have been disturbed, when the guys at GW fitted the alarm and heated grips :-( So, its probably been like this all week, hope it hasn't caused any problems now.

Cheers

they could be breather pipes...

Yep, you where spot on :cheers: And since my last post I found this helful post on triumphrat.net . . .

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple- ... pipes.html

"Fuel tank - If your fuel tank sucks air when you open it, the air and fuel drain lines have been put on incorrectly. This can cause starting problems and can damage the tank and fuel pump. Remove the tank and make sure the line with the disc valve is on the outside (left side). And make sure the lines are not kinked.

When you put the tank back on, move it as far forward as possible, and make sure the seat has the little pads on it to prevent scratching the tank."

So back on correctly now, and I hope no damage has been done. Not sure how both were knocked off, as when I tried to remove one to re-route it after fitting it was quite difficult to get off again. I wonder if they removed the tank to do the wiring and then forgot to put them back?? :|

well i am no expert but i wouldnt have thought it would cause any damage unless it was used for long periods that way.. i wouldnt worry too much about it mate as if all seems fine when you ride etc then forget about it...

Rode it this morning and still lumpy, so need to look a bit more now :-(

well i am no expert but i wouldnt have thought it would cause any damage unless it was used for long periods that way.. i wouldnt worry too much about it mate as if all seems fine when you ride etc then forget about it...

Rode it this morning and still lumpy, so need to look a bit more now :-(

I went past the triumph garage, earlier and tried to feel for the correct position of the pipes. It seemed to me that the above quote from triumphrat.net might not be correct as the bike I checked seemed to have them the other way around.

So if anyone has a speed triple and has 5min to double check for me that would be great or if anyone has a link to a service manual so I could try to look it up, that would also be good :-) .

I have booked it in to get looked at on Monday anyway, so hopefully it can be sorted then.