spluttering last night and again this morning

keith565

ok, so now i'm getting pissed off.

damn bike, been garaged for 2 weeks while away on hols. did a couple of short runs wed/thursday. running great after all the recent problems with back tyrewheel etc.

half way to work last night (about 10 miles) bike started to splutter as though it was running out of fuel, the more revs it got the worse the splutter, the higher gear the better. i know i had plenty in, but still put it onto reserve. made no difference at all. i continued to splutter along the A1 until i got to work.

bike was left outside overnight and again this morning i had same problem.

though it might be bad fuel, so put a tenners worth in, still same problem.

took it to bike shop who said it was cold carburettor causing this that and other (to much physics for me), told me to get something called pro fst, but no one and i mean no one inc halfords and motor discount centre has heard of it. but one bike shop told me to try nitrox hot shot. so i have put that in. only done 2 miles since, so will have to wait a bit to see if it makes any difference.

the float chamber has been drained, plenty of fuel coming out, changed plug.

any ideas guys. tbh i'm getting sick of the continuous problems with this bike. not so much a joy at the mo.

i gave everything a good spray this morning but it made no difference at all.

when i rev it in neutral it gets so far then just struggles to maintain them. i have to change gear much sooner than i would normally or it feels as though it wants to die on me.

top speed is about 40 in 5th gear before it starts to 'kangaroo' :cry:

have you run it low on petrol as if you have it might of pulled some debris up from bottom of tank another thing to try is see if it runs any better with choke slightly on if it does then the main jet in the carb needs cleaning out

i normally go straight to the petrol station as soon as i have to put the reserve on.

going to see if it is any different as used the car for work last night.

Sounds very much like air/fuel mix, especially if some choke helps it.

Have you checked the airbox? If you have stashed something under the seat (waterproofs?) over the intake this could cause it. The other thing is if an animal has got in there and died - if it's been garaged and a hybernating animal has decided to make a winter condo for itself......!

:lol: yes! if choke makes a difference ignore everything i said earlier :lol:

I agree with hoody, check air filter, has it got a fuel filter?

if so check that, check inlet rubbers, breather tubes etc.

is mixture screw/ idle screw in right place?

ok.

i have to get to bed as work tonight again.

i'll do the checks tomorrow.

i think the fuel filter is part of the tap system that goes into the tank so i'll have to remove the tank so i can angle it to prevent petrol spill. (will check manual).

air filter is fairly new, but again i will check it all out.

i really appreciate the help guys.

ok, checked everything i could see. pipes, rubbers and so on. all seem to be intact. air filter is a bit dirty so i will replace that asap.

bike idles nicely, and runs very smooth in top gear at low speed, but as soon as i throttle it the spluttering starts again.

i think it's time to put it back in the workshop. if it's the carb i don't have the know how or confidence to start mucking about with it.

to check the inlet rubbers, run the bike and spray WD40 around the inlet rubber, if the idle speed changes then your inlet rubbers have a crack or holes in and need replacing - just another cheap check before you submit your wallet to the garage.

to check the inlet rubbers, run the bike and spray WD40 around the inlet rubber, if the idle speed changes then your inlet rubbers have a crack or holes in and need replacing - just another cheap check before you submit your wallet to the garage.

thanks for that. i will do that.

You dont have a sidestand switch do you ?

I had a bizzare problem like that where it would splutter like mad sometimes, i used to think it was running out of fuel etc etc.

On the way to the TMBF rally on the M6 just after i filled the tank we set off and it started spluttering like mad .. i pulled over and (mike) discovered that there was oil leaking onto the sidestand switch causing it to short when revving the engine, this cut the engine for a slit second rapidly making it splutter !!

We simply disconnected the sidestand switch and the problems dissapeared ! ... worth checking something like that.

Infact, any safety cut off switch potentially could be causing the problem.

P.S. the oil was leaking from my gear shaft seal ... which i only replaced the other week :P

You dont have a sidestand switch do you ?

I had a bizzare problem like that where it would splutter like mad sometimes, i used to think it was running out of fuel etc etc.

On the way to the TMBF rally on the M6 just after i filled the tank we set off and it started spluttering like mad .. i pulled over and (mike) discovered that there was oil leaking onto the sidestand switch causing it to short when revving the engine, this cut the engine for a slit second rapidly making it splutter !!

We simply disconnected the sidestand switch and the problems dissapeared ! ... worth checking something like that.

Infact, any safety cut off switch potentially could be causing the problem.

P.S. the oil was leaking from my gear shaft seal ... which i only replaced the other week :P

it does indeed have a side stand cut out switch.

i will mention it to the guys in the morning.

(my wife broke her hand this morning, waiting for surgery, so bike is at the back of my mind at the mo)

I cannot see how it can be an electrical fault if putting the choke on makes it run better.

My instincts would tell me it is a fuel system problem, but instincts can be wrong, I had a similar problem on my XJ 750,

It went onto three cylinders,

So my first port of call was change the plug,

Problem was still there,

Next I stripped and cleaned the carb's,

Still on three,

Then I checked coils, ht leads and plug caps with a multi meter,

all ok,

Then following a mates suggestion, I swapped the new spark plug with a old one I had laying around,

Bike started running on four,

The new plug must have been a duff one

DOH

found the problem.

a small tear in the carb diaphragm. now repaired and all tickety boo.

i want to thank you guys for all the help. i have learned a bit more about the bike than i did last week, so worth it.

still, can't pick bike up till tomorrow now as off to see wife in hospital. :crybaby: