Passed my CBT!!! Now what?

Hey all, passed my CBT yesterday first time :D now, due to work commitments i'm not going to be able to do the rest of my full licence until next year. So was wondering whether it'd be worth getting myself a 125cc bike to built confidence and skill in the mean time?

Any advice will be great!

Hi rae87

Grats on getting through your cbt! hope you enjoyed it! :)

Im in a similar situation to you i think, did my cbt this summer but cant do Direct Access yet, so meantime ive bought a ybr 125 and riding and owning it has improved my confidence and skill a lot. Personally i think the more time u spend out gettin the rubber down the better prepared you will be when it comes to taking your full test and what better way to do this than having your own bike?!

Just my two pennies worth :wink:

Edit: Go introduce yourself in the noobie section!

only other thing i would add is when ur riding make sure you remmeber to do what you were taught always as if you get out of the habit of doing lifesavers etc it will be hard to get back into it when you eventually do come to do your DAS... oh and well done on passing your CBT :cheers:

I bought a 125 straight after passing my CBT - but then I use it nearly every day to get to work.

I spent about 2 months riding it before i got to start my direct access - and yes, I had to un-learn some bad habits and start putting more observations and life-savers in when i was doing my lessons.

Still, working my way to MOD2, but I ride like I'm in a lesson nearly all the time - sometimes I sing :)

Well done on passing the CBT - get a 125 and enjoy... Mind you, it's a bit chilly now.

Cheers guys! Will look at 125's for sure, any opinions on 'mini' sports bikes? like the CBR, YZF or the Aprilia RS125? If it helps, i'm 6'1" and 13.5 stone?

I'm not in a huge rush as i drive, but, sad to say, as with most things, i still want it now!!! it's just not a necessity...... yet.

Well, i'm off to introduce myself in the.... well, introduction area.

Thanks again, and looking forward to some first hand opinions on the 125 sports bikes!

Best one is Yamaha YZF-R125. CBR125 may be a bit too small for you. I ride a copy of it and it is very uncomfortable (I'm 6'1). RS125 is great bike but it need to be treated in very special way lol. Need to be properly warmed up / cooled down, needs expensive 2-stroke oil and needs engine rebuilds every 10k miles or so. If you can afford it go for R125 :wink: Another option is Derbi GPR125. Its as good as R125 but about £1000 cheaper new. Its just a wee bit smaller and in time will loose slightly more value than Yammy :thumb:

Hey all, passed my CBT yesterday first time :D now, due to work commitments i'm not going to be able to do the rest of my full licence until next year. So was wondering whether it'd be worth getting myself a 125cc bike to built confidence and skill in the mean time?

Yes I'd definitely get a bike to build up your skills and handling, as you may have to start from scratch again if you left it till next year. I passed my CBT mid-July and got myself a YBR125, I love it and it's perfect for me (I'm female and quite small at 5'3"). However have seen some quite tall guys on them and they don't look out of place. I've done nearly 1400 miles on it but I still have to perfect some things! There's nothing like getting out there and riding though, I have to ride on my own so forced myself to get out and tackle all the things I was nervous about (roundabouts, hill starts, busy towns, dual carriageways etc) - practise makes perfect is true (although my riding is still far from perfect :roll: :lol: ). However I am now confident enough to ride in most situations :)

Well, Went down to a local bike showroom, and tried on a CBR125r for size.... I'm now considering selling my landy to get one... On that note, anyone want to buy a Pristine 1993 Land Rover Discovery, Mint condi.... Sorry, wrong advert! Anyone fancy buying a 1993 Land Rover Discovery, 200Tdi 2.5 litre diesel, Good chassis, body work.... could be better, Used off road (no sense in having a 4x4 just incase it rains, get it muddy!!!)

my advice and i may be in the minority :lol:

if you plan on taking the test for a bigger bike next year, dont spend loads on a 125 you dont plan on keeping. i bought a cheap and cheerful chinese 125 on a 56 plate for £300 with a near full mot and all ive had to do was replace the relay flasher unit for £5. it does 50mph and its cheap to run etc. i'll gain as much confidence etc (and bad habbits) on that as i would an expensive 125 :lol:

way i see it, if your gonna spend at least 1k on a 125 then you mightve well have paid for a 5 day direct access course and bought an oldish 400cc jobbie off ebay for a few hundred quid.

my 5p worth :3some:

Susieque and mic, sound advice, and yes, i fully intend on getting a bigger bike, was thinking a 400 if i find one i fit comfortably (asking around my friends at the moment to see if i can find one to try-on for size) failing that, a 600cc :D but we'll see on either! Thanks again for the input everyone!

Rae