Registration is quick and easy 

Speed Cameras

Ash

Bollocks, ah well genuine mistake, not used to my courtesy bike yet, saw a big flash, looked down and the speedo was on 35, so reckon I was doing about 32, didn't relise it was a 30 either, pretty sure last time I used the road it was a 40. Just not something I wanted to have to put on my police application + my night shift is now going to be done just too pay off the fine :evil: but at the and of the day I was speeding I guess :x

Make a note of when and where.

Consider there is a certain amount of leeway. ie 10% + 2.

So if you were doing an indicated 35, which is likely to be less, you may find you won't see an NIP.

Check out pepipoo.co.uk as well.

Cheers Dan, I could never be a criminal, I feel bad enough about this :shock:

I can't really understand why it's a 30, it's a straight, wide road in a area that's not built up

Ash - Why? Because that's prime territory for a camera. On roads that have slower limits than they should loads of people creep over so it's a gold mine.

I was driving down south a few years ago (near Battle, I think) and coming from a 50mph straight I slowed to a scratch over 40 for a bend and then at a blind spot on the inside saw a 30mph sign too late to do anything about it and got flashed by the camera about 3 feet behind it. It was a speed "trap" in the truest sense.

If they'd put the sign about 50 yards back along the road I'd have seen it in good time to slow down.

Despite getting the flash and doing about 12mph over the limit I never heard anything about it. So no, a flash doesn't necessarily mean a fine or points. Thinking about that camera still makes me mad though.

I detest speed cameras. Focus on totally the wrong thing, but as this is a bike forum, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on that point.

Cheers Fazer, I will probaly do the speeding awareness course if they offer it, although I don't think I have a poor attitude or poor awareness towards speeding, it was just a genuine mistake, but it's better than having the points on a police application

I can't really understand why it's a 30, it's a straight, wide road in a area that's not built up

If speeding was as deadly / dangerous as they make out, do you really think that "criminals" would have to wait two weeks to see if they will be punished? It's all about the money, hence the reason they drop speed limits on safe roads and slap a speed camera there, usually with poor signage I've noticed :evil: They're another example of something with a good intention (ie to slow drivers outside schools/residential areas) becoming misused to raise money and create non-jobs ..... bitter?Moi? :lol:

If speeding was as deadly / dangerous as they make out, do you really think that "criminals" would have to wait two weeks to see if they will be punished? It's all about the money, hence the reason they drop speed limits on safe roads and slap a speed camera there, usually with poor signage I've noticed :evil: They're another example of something with a good intention (ie to slow drivers outside schools/residential areas) becoming misused to raise money and create non-jobs ..... bitter?Moi? :lol:

Complete tosh

I firmly believe that there is no justification for ANY speed limits in most places, they are simply a means of control on population imposed without consultation by the powers that be. Beats me why we have all put with them for so long. I'd love to see a political party willing to do away with such petty restrictions on life.

Haha I'm disappointed in myself mate as I hate the idea of anyone speeding in a 30, but as I said before, was just an hounest mistake. I've never even had a parking ticket!

A lot of the time the camera flashes but you will hear nothing of it so don't panic until you get a nasty piece of post through the door :thumb:

Is it possible to prove that there was a big lack of signage, perhaps your route doesnt give any proper signage or the signs were obscured? You may as well squirm, if you think it was an unfair cop because you believed it to be a 40mph. You seem an all together bloke who's road aware so I wouldnt say you deserve the ticket.

Ash - as others have said, you sound like a together and reasonable rider/driver so don't get down on yourself. You may have been caught accidentally breaking a completely arbitrary rule but (and this is important) you did not put anyone in danger in doing so. It's a complete non-crime. Don't beat yourself up.

The fact you're worrying about points and considering speed awareness when you're a careful rider is just nonsesne and the reason speed cameras get my back up. Speed cameras focus on behaviour that is only of any consequence when an accident happens rather than on behaviour that CAUSES accidents in the first place.

I firmly believe that there is no justification for ANY speed limits in most places, they are simply a means of control on population imposed without consultation by the powers that be. Beats me why we have all put with them for so long. I'd love to see a political party willing to do away with such petty restrictions on life.

Why?

Pubs, satire and (latterly) reality TV.

I can't remember who it was, but someone somewhen said pubs were a big reason there was no revolution in the UK. I'm inclined to agree. We drink, moan and take the mickey. Others revolt.

Party?

Look up the UK Libertarian Party.

Cheers Fozzie and bigshot :cheers: will just have too wait and see now I guess. Also I was on a courtesy bike which obv isn't registered to me, so I'm guessing it will be the hire company that will get the letter and then they will call me?

Why?

Pubs, satire and (latterly) reality TV.

I can't remember who it was, but someone somewhen said pubs were a big reason there was no revolution in the UK. I'm inclined to agree. We drink, moan and take the mickey. Others revolt.

Party?

Look up the UK Libertarian Party.

Thanks, they seem to have an interesting approach, if I could ever be tempted to move back to the UK, I'd probably support them on the basis of their stated policies.

As for the anaesthetic of so-called 'reality TV', I would happily line everyone responsible for it up against the wall. What a cheap way to dumb down and control a nation.

Tell that to the familes of people killed by other road users driving at excess speed in the wrong place! you think its ok to do 60mph passed a school at home time?

No, didnt think so

To be fair, he did say "I firmly believe that there is no justification for ANY speed limits in most places".

Knee feeling a bit jerky? ;)

Question though, were those people killed by people driving above an arbitrary number or people driving badly?

Yes, the speed is a factor when an accident occurs, but it's bad driving that causes the accident, not the speed. Sometimes driving fast is driving badly, but that has nothing to do with speed limits and everything to do with conditions (traffic, weather, road, pedestrians etc.).

Tell me, would you rather people passing a school at kicking out time were watching their speedo so they didn't get a fine and points or watching the road and pavements in case a stray kid ran out in front of them?

Speed cameras focus on the wrong behaviour, I tell the'.

Tell that to the familes of people killed by other road users driving at excess speed in the wrong place! you think its ok to do 60mph passed a school at home time?

No, didnt think so

The signs are there for everyone. The punishment is there for everyone. You can't rule out the good ones from the bad ones so you have to stick them all in the same pen. Some limits are seemingly unfair but theres a lot in life that seems the same as this incident Ash has experienced is.

Regardless of the limit people do and have sped and caused death as a result. I know people injured through careless speeding. Some good people. We are not innocent by any means and I dont know what it would be like without a speed limit. Perhaps I would be dead. So leave it there ey folks? Its a discussion about Ash being potentially caught speeding not bitching about whether they are right because it goes down to squabbling like children at the end of the day. :thumb: Mmmkay chaps? :thumb:

I am in favour of allowing people to use their common sense rather than imposing draconian legislation. Would I drive past a school at chucking out time at 60 mph? Of course not, because it would be placing both myself and others in danger.

However, I just rode home from work at speeds of up 200 kph, and it placed no one in danger whatsoever. Still double the limit, though. Individuals should be allowed to think for themselves.