Oil your chain when it's raining?

Coume

Morning,

I cleaned my chain yesterday but it was pissing down so I did not oil it straight after. Today is still pissing down but I really want to get the bike out.

Is it still effective to oil the chain when it is raining? or do you really need to wait for a perfect dry day?

If it is the case and knowing that I do not have a garage, I'm not sure how I will manage to regularly clean/lubricate my chain :(

Thanks

Ludo

Oil/lube will displace water, so you should be able to lube your chain fine. Obviously you will see water 'beading' all over the place, but as long as you are getting lube onto the chain, it should stay there.

Paraffin / de-greaser and a bit of a scrub to clean it up, give it a hose down to get rid of all the loose crap then dry the chain with a rag before putting lube on. Most chain lubes have a slightly 'sticky' quality so wintery weather and water splashing about wont remove it straight away.

It's a good idea to apply lube to a clean, dry chain though.