Registration is quick and easy 

Lookup the owner of a vehicle?

Guest Suedish

Hey,

Is it possible to lookup the name of the owner of a vehicle with just the reg number? If not, just the when the car (in this case) last changed owner?

Where and how in that case? =)

Thanks

You used to be able to request the info from the DVLA provided that you can show a legitimate requirement for it. e.g. vehicle parked illegally on private ground. Dunno if you still can and if so what fee is invovled.

Hmm no I can't do that, what's happened is I had to move abroad for a few months and in the meantime I broke up with my girlfriend. Now she claims to have sold my car (forged my signature) but I'm not sure if it's true or if she's just taking the piss to see what I say about it. I just want to know if it's changed owners (or not in my name anymore) lately.

edit: And oh, I'm still away, otherwise I'd just see if it's parked at her place or not.

Ah good idea, if anyone lives around Reading (Wokingham more exactly) and wouldn't mind taking at look at the address that would be great. It's a BMW 325ci but I can give the reg number and address in a pm if anyone would like to have a look. Someone, please? :D

the a good chance you can get the car back, what you need to do is report it as missing to the cops tell them what the ex as said to you, as the car is yours, and she forged your signature to sell the car i think they would class it as theft

Gotta feel sorry for the poor sap that bought it. Would they have grounds to claim "good faith" with that and get to keep the car or are they going to be out of pocket unless the ex refunds the money?

In response to the OP though, surely if you're the registered keeper of a car you can just contact the DVLA yourself?

(EDIT: I know you've figured it out... thought it worth a mention anyway though).

Pretty sure they loose the car and the money, on the likes of traffic cops when they pull over genuinely bought vehicles but where actually stolen they say the owners were left out of pocket! :(

Aye, and yet when businesses buy a wagon load of stolen goods "in good faith" they often get to keep and sell them with no penalty.

I always thought if you bought stolen stuff you lost, but maybe since he's had the V5 and a forged signature it'd be seen as "good faith". I'm no expert, just a sucker for thinking about other people so wonder about the poor bugger that's about to get a knock at the door.

Definitely report it as stolen and explain to the police the cicumstances.

As the car is stolen, you can claim it back. The purchaser can then go after your ex to try to recover the money. If she has spent it the court may only force her to repay it in amounts that she can afford over a very long period.