Registration is quick and easy 

PAYG mobile tinternet Dongles????

Guest WalneyFrankie

as it dont involve spanners, I'm after some info on PAYG broadband dongles, so I can take my laptop to Wales and use it for the web,. (google maps/b&b's, etc)

anyone have one,

or anyone know of good deals on at the moment..

have done, and come up with T-Mobile £8.99 and £10 top up for a months use, then £2/day thereafter (or swap to another package), but never had one so wanted peoples opinions..

or if anyone knows of better deals going on..

I got a "free" dongle with my phone contract so can't offer a particularly helpful bit of advice but if you're heading somewhere rural or particularly hilly you might want to find out who has good coverage around there. All the companies will probably *claim* coverage but they can be pretty spotty in t'hills.

Also, look for the usage limits (they will have some - even if it's "unlimited") as they will either charge a fortune for going over or (if "unlimited") throttle or otherwise restrict your connection.

Google maps and B&B type stuff shouldn't be too bad, but be careful if you're getting loads of maps or big files from the web - that can approach your limit quite quickly.

Sorry if this is into sucking-eggs territory - but do you have mobile internet on your phone? If so there's a chance you'll be able to use the phone's internet connection on your laptop using "tethering". Some (all?) networks try to charge extra for tethering and some (all?) will say you shouldn't do it in the terms and conditions, but with a lot of phones it can be done without their knowing about it.

EDIT:

Of course, if you're on the right kind of trip to the right kind of places - wifi in cafes, pubs (or even McDonalds if you can stomach it) could be another way.

Do they even have electricity or hot running water for that matter?

:P

(I think it depends where you go. The more rural, the less likely, I imagine. As for mobile internet, you'll probably find broadband near bigger towns, otherwise it can be a bit on the slow side. In Fife recently I couldn't even get a PHONE signal in a town of 3,500 people let alone a data connection.)

I would be carful on this Si, Chances are you won't even be able to get a mobile phone signal in Wales which is what these dongles rely on! I know when I go up to the Ponderosa I get no signal at all!!

Do you have a 3G enabled phone? If you do then try going online on that before you go and waste money on a dongle. If one don't work, neither will the other........

Yes signals in Wales can be very patchy - I get a good signal at the Ponderosa (I'm on Orange) and also from the mountains nearby when I go walking. However when I went to mid Wales (near Black Mountains) none of us had any signal at all!

I bought a 3g dongle when i was in the flat, it worked quite well!

I wouldn't bother for wales!, the signal is patchy at best!

just do without internet for a few days, it won't kill you! :lol:

if you have a mobile contract and they do dongles, phone them and see if you get a discount as they usually knock a few quid off for existing customers.... i looked into it quite recently, vodafone were offering £12 instead of £15 and three network get quite a good discount too.

or just get a smartphone (BlackBerry for example) and use that via USB for free (uses mobile internet allowance so maybe not great for youtube vids but fine for forums etc)

my mate lives in wales at the bikers retreat and everyone there is on 3 as its the best signal...

deal wise mate 3 have the best....sack pay as you go there doing a 30 day rolling deal that can be stopped any time

4.99 for modem 15 a month for 5gb, if you want it for 1 month just ring and give 30 days notice the day after getting it....

If anyone is thinking about getting a smartphone, I'd *strongly* recommend an Android phone over both iPhone or BlackBerry which come in a distant second and third. My girlfriend has a BlackBerry and since I got my Android phone (HTC Desire) she's said it's far better. iPhone is OK but I've used both and despite a couple of gimmicks on the new iPhone, the Desire is streets ahead and not even the most recent Android handset either.

I'd take tethering over a dangle for mobile use any day. No mucking about taking out sim cards, one bill, easy... and on T-Mobile you get 3GB of "fair use" for mobile internet and to be brutal, even a very heavy user would have a hard time exceeding that. No problems at all with casual YouTube-ing.

:stupid:

We all know that means it'll make you stronger too. Plugging from the feed for a few days can be an incredibly relaxing thing to do. Remember the days when people couldn't always get hold of you?

Nice, wasn't it.

I bought a 3g dongle when i was in the flat, it worked quite well!

I wouldn't bother for wales!, the signal is patchy at best!

yep, was just an emergency thing, for accom etc, but i'll use local resources and take maps and some intel..

Basically using your mobile phone as a modem for a laptop.

You connect to it via cable, wifi or bluetooth and faff with the dialup settings on the laptop so it can connect to the net.

Exactly how depends on what laptop, OS and phone handset you've got.

ive got an 02 dongle .. its ok and i get a good connection with it and credit does last ,, if not downloading or watching films music ,, however i have heard in wales or parts of wales dongles are no good so your probably best checking with the servicenetwork provider you want to go with give them a ring or ask in store and they can tell you if will work there or not

Hi there had a 3 contract dongle a while back. It was okay sometime but every now and again it just would'nt work. Rang help desk and all they used to say is that there upgrading signal support in my area. So at a last resort I would use one but only if its for web surfing. Used to try and play xbox live on it but only ever got 1 bar lol so was lagging all over the place.

Basically using your mobile phone as a modem for a laptop.

You connect to it via cable, wifi or bluetooth and faff with the dialup settings on the laptop so it can connect to the net.

Exactly how depends on what laptop, OS and phone handset you've got.

Cool, thanks for that info