Registration is quick and easy 

It pays to question/refuse the given price!

Guest Dan

In my kitchen, I have sunken lights above the sink.. anyway the 12v transformer has given up so I need a new one.

I had the sourced the part I need online for about £8.00, but obviously, have to wait for delivery ...

So, there I was, in town this morning.. I decided to pop into a buildbase to see if they stock they same item (lighting section) , sure enough the sales guy find the exact same transformer I need..

"All depends how much" says I

After some button pressing he duly informs me "thats £28.00 quid mate", I smile and say

"thank you, but no thank you at that price ... I'll tell you why, I know I can buy this for £8.00 from online shop, just wanted to see if you had any, it'd save me waiting for delivery"

The sales guy looks at me, pauses... and says

"how about £11.75?"

Now... obviously I bought it at this price, but what the? How many people would have just bought it at 28 notes? On top of that... shows how much mark up they have, and jeez, he didn't bat an eyelid...

Funny world.

My sister tried to join a popular Gym chain the other day and the convo went like this;

Sister: Hi I'd like to join please with the student discount

Bloke: Ok, you can pay for a 3 month membership, but if you do not give a written notice to cancel the membership before the first of the following month, you will be charged for that month, and every following month indefinitely if you do not give a written notice of cancellation

Sister: Rubbish, that's illegal... I just want to pay for, and get, a 3 month membership with none of that "written notice of cancellation" crap… please.

*Guy runs into a room for 5 minutes*

Bloke: Ok that's fine.

Sister: I want written confirmation of this agreement

*Guy runs off again, and returns with some paper*

Bloke: Sure no problem

Sister: Great, here’s my card

Bloke: Fantastic, so it’s just the 3 month fee, plus a £70 “joining fee” which needs to be paid along with the 3 months upfr…….

Sister: What?! What am I getting for that £70 on top of everything else?

Bloke: It’s our joining fee, you need to pay it to join.

Sister: This is hopeless, I’m not interested anymore

Bloke: Errrrrrrrr, errrr, we may have some availability on our ‘student membership’ scheme where that £70 joining fee can be reduced to £0, one sec…

Sister: You already know I’m a student, I’m getting the student discount on the membership

Bloke: ……. Oh yeah, one sec.

*Runs off for 10 minutes*

Bloke: Ok good news! That fee is now reduced to £0

Sister: [sarcasm] THANKS!!! [/sarcasm]

Sometimes if you don’t question an organisations actions / fees / whatever, they’ll happily bend you over and do you.

In my kitchen, I have sunken lights above the sink.. anyway the 12v transformer has given up so I need a new one.

I had the sourced the part I need online for about £8.00, but obviously, have to wait for delivery ...

So, there I was, in town this morning.. I decided to pop into a buildbase to see if they stock they same item (lighting section) , sure enough the sales guy find the exact same transformer I need..

"All depends how much" says I

After some button pressing he duly informs me "thats £28.00 quid mate", I smile and say

"thank you, but no thank you at that price ... I'll tell you why, I know I can buy this for £8.00 from online shop, just wanted to see if you had any, it'd save me waiting for delivery"

The sales guy looks at me, pauses... and says

"how about £11.75?"

Now... obviously I bought it at this price, but what the? How many people would have just bought it at 28 notes? On top of that... shows how much mark up they have, and jeez, he didn't bat an eyelid...

Funny world.

my local one man hardware store got the same transformers for me at around that price, it's a great little shop with so much stuff you wouldn't believe it all fits in, and he will get you anything he hasn't got in stock (I'm sure he could find a left handed screwdriver if you wanted it ) and he beats the big boys on price almost every time...

It's ridiculous how much companies mark up prices, even when you think you've got a bargain they've still made a decent profit.

I shop around and get the best price for most things and often do what you've done with the 'seen it else where for £xx' quite often they can reduce it but sometimes no. Just be prepared to walk off unless you get what you want or something near it.

When my grandad bought his last car I think it was advertised as £8,000 he kept getting the guy to go into the back until he got it for £7,400 and at that he almost walked away until my grandma said 'just get the car' lol

I work for Greggs. Now who knows about mark-ups? :lol:

Went to a very very posh 'gastro-pub' type thing recently, now apart from the £750 bottles of wine on the menu, there was one we had, at £26 a bottle. We liked it so much they sold us a case of 6. £156 you say? Nope. £60. Tenner each. And I'm willing to bed they still made a hell of a profit on even that.

Always ask, you'll almost always get. Our SKY is costing us a lot less than it should, purely because of threatening to leave a lot. :roll:

Always ask, you'll almost always get. Our SKY is costing us a lot less than it should, purely because of threatening to leave a lot. :roll:

Exactly what I'm gunna do this year, contract is almost up so I'm setup beautifully :P

I got a year free on my mobile phone for ringing up and asking for my PAC code as I wanted a business account and that particular provider couldn't migrate my number directly.

I must be in the wrong line of business if buildbase are making 150% profit in the middle of a recession, thats crazy!

Only problem with that is that sometimes they just say ok and cancel lol

Well I wont say I want to quit I just say I'm thinking of quitting

besides if I did accidentally get cancelled, ill move over to virgin :lol:

I got a year free on my mobile phone for ringing up and asking for my PAC code as I wanted a business account and that particular provider couldn't migrate my number directly.

I must be in the wrong line of business if buildbase are making 150% profit in the middle of a recession, thats crazy!

No, that's a perfectly normal retail mark up.

I think most normal goods (supermarkets/other high "volume" retails notwithstanding) are at least sold for double the retailer buys them for. Minimum.

Note though, that overheads are high.

ill move over to virgin :lol:

I wouldn't wish Virgin Media on my worst enemy! Some of the poorest customer service I've ever experienced. I'd stick with Sky, or just get a decent monitor for your computer and use the internet.

I wouldn't wish Virgin Media on my worst enemy! Some of the poorest customer service I've ever experienced. I'd stick with Sky, or just get a decent monitor for your computer and use the internet.

Sky doesn't have the greatest box's though, mines always a bit slow etc.

No, that's a perfectly normal retail mark up.

I think most normal goods (supermarkets/other high "volume" retails notwithstanding) are at least sold for double the retailer buys them for. Minimum.

Note though, that overheads are high.

Not for an electronics spare part its not. I've been in electronics retailing and servicing for over 30 years and have to tell you your percentages are way off the mark. Spare parts in normal retail outlets would maybe reflect 100% of trade price but would include the 17.5% VAT.

Dealers selling spare parts for most of the big brown goods brands are expected to add 33% mark up and then add VAT. sales of the goods themselves would carry even less profit!

I only use Buildbase/Focus/BnQ type of stores for Sunday or evening purchases where I'm willing to pay the extra for the simple fact I can get it at that time and day.

I have everything through Virgin and very seldom have a problem