Help please - Burgman 125 loss of power/speed

NathanJ

Hi guys,

I have been having problems with my bike since March, and have now run out of options on what to do.

The main problem is the lack of speed, from 70mph down to not being able to get past 35-40mph! -- It's even worse on hills, not being able to get past 20mph.

I have changed various items including the drive belt, spark plug and have also bought some new clutch rollers ..... and now I have another problem, as I have no idea where they go.

I can't spend anymore money than I have already on the bike (spent close to £1500 all in all).

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreaciated, as I have had the clutch apart today and could see nowhere for the rollers to go.

Many thanks in advance.

Nathan

Have you tried looking for a workshop manula for download? Or got a haynes or similar?

I am no help unfortunately :lol:

But the manuals/books should help. Have trouble shooting guides to. Check out the guides section :thumb:

New rollers fitted, and the bike has a much better uptake on speed .... still struggling on the hills though.

Bertie; Without me on it, she sounds just right, but when I get on the bike, there is a loss of power - the revs sound as they should do, and on the flat she will do 40mph (Will do another test tommorow, as was in a 30), on the hills she will creep upto 30mph -- again will test tommorow on the mountain roads.

Im curious, do the rollers need to wear in? ... as something still isn't right (again, will know more tommorow)

Nath

Everything looks as it should, could do with a bit of a clean though.

A friend has suggested that they may need to have some miles put on them (in order to "bed" them in), after they have done that I should be back to my normal running pattern = Not being over-taken by buses and tractors.

This may sound daft as can be, but have you checked the tyre pressures? They can dramaticaly reduce speed, and if one had a puncture / was low, it could change your mph easily. Other thing is have you checked inside the belt housing? ... maybe the belt isnt managing to change up/down correctly/smoothly, or even jammed, as this would be resulting in it being to highly geared for hills, and however too lowly geared for fast action (40mph+).

Just to let you know, I have a belt drive on on of my bikes too, so i'm not 'just guessing'.

:cheers:

Hi bullet, the front tyre is brand new (only has 5 or so miles on) and the back tyre pressure is spot on for the road conditions around here (not the best on a good day)

The belt is doing as it should do, with fluid movement when throttle is opened, there are no jams etc...

The belt itself is brand-new, again, only covered approx. 5miles.

Im off to pick up some new lights tommorow, as my headlights blew the other day, so shall stop by tesco's to double check tyre pressure.

The other thing that was suggested is it could be something to do with the time management of the engine (No idea on what that is), the Carb (recently been stripped and cleaned), or the one way electronic fuel control -- A little black box next to the carb .. However the bike itself is running clean as a whistle, she is not smoking or coughing, so that for me rules out trouble with the engine. (That and she is not drinking oil).

Nath

hmmmm... suppose it could be. Sounds rather strange, because it cant really be anthing BUT the engine :/ you havnt put something in the fuel have you? or let it run low on fuel then filled up, meaning it went onto reserve / drank all the sludge up from the tank.

Really perplexing. :?

Im going to give it a month, if things still don't improve then the bike is going, if the bike goes then the money from that will be used for test and a 500/600cc sports tourer.

For now though been offered the use of a jinlun (think its that anyway) style cruiser, so might come in handy.

• 12 years later...

I also own a Suzuki Burgman UH 125cc 2003. It's not going over 40 mph. I've put new fuel, new oil, new spark plug & ignition coil and also a new drivebelt. But still not getting above 40mph. Please someone or anyone help me. Before I put all those on, I put it in the garage for the same problem, but that's a different story. Yet it kinda references to this one