Registration is quick and easy 

Home made wine

Remy

Well I've been trying to cut down a bit on the red stuff (unsuccessfully) even though they say it's good for you, so decided I had better not buy any more in. However, hubby has made a fair few gallons of the home made stuff :roll: , and I've been drinking that instead. The trouble is, I've been drinking twice as much!! :shock: :cheers:

I just drank an entire bottle tonight accidentally!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :cheers:

How can you drink it accidentally??!! :shock:

Bloody hell, home made stuff is usually lethal - I'd have thought you would realise well before the bottom of the bottle!!! :lol:

My Mum & Dad used to make rhubarb wine, and parsnip. Can't for the life of me remember why cos they didn't really drink!! :lol:

1 glass per night (and not one of those huge ones that holds a whole bottle) has massive health benefits.

More than that and you start to see bad effects too.

I started making my own wine last year. Looking forwards to cracking open my first bottle some time towards Christmas.

Doesn't have to be that way.

Sure, some people who homebrew are after strength, but a wee bit less sugar in the mix or a less alcohol-tolerant yeast and you can end up with ABV around or below the kind of stuff you'd find in shops or bars.

When I worked in a residential children's home we had some big old fashioned airing cabinets all along the corridor, with hot water pipes inside them.

We decided to brew wine & put the demijons in there cos it was warm....(you an see where this is going....)

Almighty bang! in the middle of the night when they exploded all over the clean laundry!!! We'd put the valve thingy's on too soon!!! :lol:

Oh well no hangover today, so it can't be as strong as my usual red (thankfully!). Hubby has experimented with just about anything he can get his hands on that grows, should be interesting .... as it included broad beans :shock:

I used to be a home made wine fanatic - made wines from almost anything that grows. Examples were:

Tree Leaf (Oak)

Tree Sap (Elder)

Peapod (what else can you do with them after youv'e shelled fresh peas?)

Radish - That was 'horrible'.

Tea (made with 'used' tea bags)

Rice

etc.

etc.

Best tasting wine was Elderberry (use the berrys from the 'female' trees - those have purple stalks to the berry bunches).

Strongest was Strawberry (21%)

Found that the higher tannin content wines gave me a hangover - Most were OK.

:cheers:

Grumpy...

That's the first I've ever heard about elder being dioecious. In fact that's thrown me a bit.

I've always been told to check the flowers to make sure they don't smell of cat pee (as some do) and to favour the trees producing the more pleasant tasting berries but it neither occurred nor was mentioned to me that sex might play a part. I just assumed they were perfect-flowered.

Best tasting wine was Elderberry (use the berrys from the 'female' trees - those have purple stalks to the berry bunches).

Strongest was Strawberry (21%)

Found that the higher tannin content wines gave me a hangover - Most were OK.

:cheers:

Thanks for that will tell hubby! Lots of people have rated elderberry (or elder flower champagne?) as one of the best, think we have some maturing somewhere! We have loads of elder trees :D

Home made wine is to much trouble with the end result some times being a bit iffy,

Tesco provides it ready made with consistent results & with lot less hassle :wink: :wink:

Now what was that song??????? ho yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Little old wine drinker me,,, dum, de, dum,de hick, dum, hick, hick :puke:

Haha sounds familiar, generally I know my limits these days! Only trouble is my nearest Tesco is 10 miles away, and the kitchen is full of home made stuff ... :cheers:

Yea, *sometimes* the results can be a bit iffy, but if you do it right they can be utterly sublime, and you don't exactly see many country wines in Tesco. ;)

Me?

I'll leave the grape wines to the vineyards and forage through hedgerows for flowers and fruits to make the more rustic ones. Best of both worlds.

I just can't drink wine - it gives me a shocking headache! Give me proper beer any day!! Spitfire, 6X, London Pride etc etc etc :lol:

A bit of the Bishops Finger then,,,,,, :shock: A bit of the Black Sheep's not bad either :wink: :wink: :wink: :D :D :D :D

What ever happened to Worthy E or Double D :crybaby: :crybaby: