Putting a tube in a tubeless tyre

Remy

What are the pros/cons of this? I seem to have a couple of puncture areas on my rear tyre and someone suggested I get a tube instead of a new tyre.

NO no no no no no no non o nn ooooooooooooooooooo

Really not a clever thing to do Remy.

I spent a good few years fitting tyres, please take it from me, that is really no a good idea.

If you inspect the inside of your tyre, you will see it isn't smooth. The ridges and imperfections on the inside of a tubeless tyre, will, and I mean will, puncture the tube. Not immediately you understand, but once the tyre gets warm, so does the tube and the movement between the two will cause a puncture.

Even worse, it will be an immediate failure, not a slow puncture as you'd expect from a tubeless tyre. Obviously not something you want at any speed on a bike.

New tyre by the sounds of it Remy!!

Sorry it wasn't better news ....

Rennie says you can do it but it can be dodgy cos the tube can rub against the tyre.

He says he wouldn't do it on a performance bike but he'd be tempted to do it on a 125. Or he says that squirty stuff/slimey tyre fix stuff (his words not mine!!) would do the job.

He also said come to that, the tyres aren't very expensive anyway!

NO no no no no no no non o nn ooooooooooooooooooo

Really not a clever thing to do Remy.

I spent a good few years fitting tyres, please take it from me, that is really no a good idea.

If you inspect the inside of your tyre, you will see it isn't smooth. The ridges and imperfections on the inside of a tubeless tyre, will, and I mean will, puncture the tube. Not immediately you understand, but once the tyre gets warm, so does the tube and the movement between the two will cause a puncture.

Even worse, it will be an immediate failure, not a slow puncture as you'd expect from a tubeless tyre. Obviously not something you want at any speed on a bike.

New tyre by the sounds of it Remy!!

Sorry it wasn't better news ....

:stupid:

not alone that most wheels are designed to take tubeless tyres not tubes

As others have said no no no no no

If you have punctures get it sorted by a pro.

You will see times when a tube is fitted to a tubeless tyre - my bike is one of them, but thats because my wheels are designed for it as are enduro or dual sport tyres so it wont damage the tube but these are the exception not the rule and both tyre and wheel must be designed for it.