Water leaking from overflow on CB500

caretaker

Yes thats true......the thing thats worrying me is that maybe there isnt a problem after all..what are the chances of being sat in a traffic jam for 15 mins anyway...or even if i was i could turn the engine off...so when subjected to normal riding and getting plenty of air through the radiator the problem may not arise...just don't know yet

if you leave the thermostat out the engine will never reach correct running temp and could also make it boil up more as the water will flow through the system to quickly and not cool properly as it passes through the rad

So it looks like try new rad cap, if no good then then try new stat...if still no good try sniffer test for any contaminated water, followed by compression test......... to check gasket

That seems to be the sequence to try so far - phew!

Thanks for your input...its all appreciated and part of the learning curve

Plus you'd only be masking the problem, the fault will still be lurking somewhere because they're designed to run with a 'stat.

no i only intended to remove the stat and see if it still overheated or not ie maybe because the stat hadnt been previously opening early enough..... or if it did overheat prove the rad cap was still faulty if it overheated without stat in and plenty of water flow?

I think I may be on the way to setting a new record for removing fuel tank and seat :)

Gotcha :-)

Does it seal ok without a stat in the housing? May sound silly but I know on some cars the housing doesn't, not worked much on bikes.

It would appear to still seal if I remove the stat. Its just a gasket between two flanged faces of the stat housing.

anyway I'm going to do a search to find cost of rad cap and the stat and try find a mechanic to advise me re possible head gasket problem and also why fan isnt operating before it boils off....no point in having the fan if it doesnt come on before the water has gone!