Doing your CBT on a 500cc?

I've got a free session on a 500cc on sunday as the instructor told me that there's no point him teaching me to ride a 125 for my CBT and then teaching me to ride a 500 for my DAS.....he said if I'm not riding the 500 within an hour he'll make the tea (I asked if that included a trip to casualty for me aswell) :lol:

So my question is, surely I have to do the CBT on the roads or can it include no road riding? If it is on the road, I thought that you could only ride a 125 until you'd done your Mod 1.....or am I getting confused?

yes, the CBT has to include 2hrs minimum riding on the road.

Thing is if you are taking DAS with him once you have done your first mornings tuition you will have exceeded the 2 hrs cbt requirements anyway... so he's just being flexible with your training to get you up and running on the 500c bike as soon as poss...to take mod 1 and 2 on the 500cc

you can ride a 500cc accompanied as part of your das training before the mod 1 or how could you practice on a 500cc to take and pass it

yes, the CBT has to include 2hrs minimum riding on the road.

Thing is if you are taking DAS with him once you have done your first mornings tuition you will have exceeded the 2 hrs cbt requirements anyway... so he's just being flexible with your training to get you up and running on the 500c bike as soon as poss...to take mod 1 and 2 on the 500cc

you can ride a 500cc accompanied as part of your das training before the mod 1 or how could you practice on a 500cc to take and pass it

thanks - I thought there might be some sense in what he said! I have to do my theory yet so hopefully once that's passed then I can crack on with Mod 1 and Mod 2 - he reckons I'll have it all cracked by Christmas....we shall see :lol:

This from Direct.gov:

Direct access

After taking Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) and the theory test, the practical test may be taken on a motorcycle with a power output of at least 35kW. A pass allows you to ride any size of bike. All or part of the CBT course may be taken on either a learner bike or a large bike. To practice for the practical test on bikes larger than the learner bike specification you must:

* be accompanied at all times by an approved instructor on another bike and in radio contact

* wear fluorescent or reflective clothing

* follow all other provisional licence restrictions

This from Direct.gov:

Direct access

After taking Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) and the theory test, the practical test may be taken on a motorcycle with a power output of at least 35kW. A pass allows you to ride any size of bike. All or part of the CBT course may be taken on either a learner bike or a large bike. To practice for the practical test on bikes larger than the learner bike specification you must:

* be accompanied at all times by an approved instructor on another bike and in radio contact

* wear fluorescent or reflective clothing

* follow all other provisional licence restrictions

Oooo thanks Remy that's interesting so I CAN do my CBT on a 500?

I didn't know a CBT could be done on a bigger bike, but I doubt instructors would be willing to let someone jump straight onto a bigger / more expensive without knowing they have some ability. I dont think I would if I were an instructor :P

I didn't know a CBT could be done on a bigger bike, but I doubt instructors would be willing to let someone jump straight onto a bigger / more expensive without knowing they have some ability. I dont think I would if I were an instructor :P

As the instructor said " not much point in teaching on a 125 for the CBT and then teaching again on a 500 for the DAS". The instructor will just make sure that he can operate the controls/gears/balance etc off road to his satisfaction first before he venture on road..

I did my cbt on a 500 but its only because I had booked the das course

that's so good to know - very excited about tomorrow's session. Will report back - I may not like it! :roll: :lol:

Hope it goes well..... You'll probably love it :wink:

Went really well - I was worried about a 500 until I'd been on it for 20 mins!! :lol:

i'm really impressed you were riding round on the 500 so quickly! first i've ever heard of someone doing that

nice one!

that's so good to know - very excited about tomorrow's session. Will report back - I may not like it! :roll: :lol:

Hope it goes well..... You'll probably love it :wink:

Went really well - I was worried about a 500 until I'd been on it for 20 mins!! :lol:

I'm pleased to hear it went well..... Keep us informed how you get on with the DAS training and good luck now with the theory..... best you read up for it ..plenty of info etc online that can help etc

I'm not saying that I wasn't wobbling still a bit but more or less cracked it!

I'm waiting for the DVD's to come through from another forum member then can get swotting!

Yes, you'll have a bit of wobbling until you've had practice with your throttle and clutch control

The DVD'S are perfect for practicing the theory with too

Take your time and enjoy :salute:

I'm waiting for the DVD's to come through from another forum member then can get swotting!

Yes, you'll have a bit of wobbling until you've had practice with your throttle and clutch control

It helps so much if you drive a car though - atleast you understand the concept of clutch control!

It helps so much if you drive a car though - atleast you understand the concept of clutch control!

Yes but unlike a car.. at low speed you will be encouraged to, and need to, ' ride the clutch's biting point longer' when you need low speed control

Yes but unlike a car.. at low speed you will be encouraged to, and need to, ' ride the clutch's biting point longer' when you need low speed control

Yep, was learning how to do that around corners. What's funny is that riding the clutch is allowed with bikes - so I'm a bit of a master at it! :lol: