changing Sprocket teeth ??

BoB3rt

Wanting a new set of sprockets and chain soon so i am thinking of altering the teeth too get a little more acceleration for the cost of top end

(which lets face, it can't be used on the road - and my home track is oulton park which has not a great high speed) 8-)

so to increase Acceleration i believe you can either add more teeth to the rear OR reduce the teeth on the front?

am told that if you reduce the front teeth though you will need a speedo healer but if you just alter the back it should be standard. is this right?

my bike (zx6r G2 99) has a 40t rear and a 16t front.

I am thinking of increasing the rear by 2-3t hoping this will make a bit of a diffrence.

main reasons are i like the look of bigger sprockets and my friends R6 is far to nippy on acceleration - I want! :oops:

Also be getting renthals most proberly.

:cheers: Cheers!

It'll still throw the speedo out I think no matter which sprocket you change but I think changing the front sprocket has more of an impact (on a tooth by tooth basis) because the change to gearing is greater. But it is early and my brain isn't 100% engaged so don't hold me to it...

Hi mate I did this on my 94 gsxr I went up 2 teeth on the back.

You will only need a speedo healer if you have an electric speedo, if your speedo is driven off the front wheel then you don't need to worry.

As posted above if it's an electric speedo then you will need a speedo healer whatever sprocket you change. Oh and down 1 tooth on the front is about the same as up 3 on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would go up on the back rather then down on the front you may need a link or two longer chain

if you go down on the front it can cause more wear on the chain and it will wear through the chain gaurd quicker on the swingarm and possible wear in to the swinger!! Ive seen it happen on a bike before

so i am on the right lines then... My speedo reads from the front sprocket so thats good :)

so if i just change the rear by 2 or 3 teeth (any advice on which?) or there is a +5 teeth going on ebay at the minute for cheap but am thinking that could be too much?

I can see how u mean it will wear the chain.. all in all it is definatly best to increase the rear.

thanks for the help here!

:D

If you change either front or rear sprocket then you change the final drive ratio and so change the speed of the rear wheel in relation to the speed of the front sprocket - hence the need for a speedo healer. Hope that helped

Oh and I would go up 2 on the rear to see how it felt first as this will also effect your mpg!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk