If you can get hold of both last month and this months ride they do a test on winter gloves, last months was money no object and this month was budget gloves.

They cover textile and leather and rate them on warmth, waterproofing, impact and abrasion - well worth a read.

I have just got a pair of BKS Gloucester gloves and they are very good indeed http://www.bksclothing.com/BKS-Gloves/G ... BKG012/390

I have also used these hein gericke pathan gloves and they are also good (but not quite as good as the BKS) http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/prod ... ts_id/3688

I have a pair of Spada winter gloves, cost £40 and they're great. But nothing will keep your hands warm other than heated grips, heated gloves, handlebar muffs or a combination.

Some gloves, with added liners will stop your hands from freezing, but you will need an actual source of heat for your hands to stay WARM.

I have just got a pair of BKS Gloucester gloves and they are very good indeed http://www.bksclothing.com/BKS-Gloves/G ... BKG012/390

Good to know, I read both issues and the BKS were the ones I am liked the look of, my A* 365s are really bad for warmth. What type of bike do you ride (i.e. am after info on wind protection) and have you tested the gloves for a 30min+ a road jaunt? Would be really interested to know if they can shut out the wind chill.

Thanks.

I ride a tiger with standard hand guards fitted.

I do an hour long commute each way and leave the house at 0630 in the morning and the gloves do pretty well (it was 0-1 deg c last week at times), I still have my heated grips on but I dont have numb fingers at all when I get to work, and 80% of my trip is national speed limit roads so its pretty quick.

Without the wind protection or heated grips I think you would get 30 min out of them without getting to cold (a bit difficult to say because my hands really suffer in the cold and I tend to get cold fingers before other people), but I am very impressed with them they are defiantly the warmest gloves I have ridden with over the years.

Oh and they are also very waterproof !!!

Heated grips are fine mate as long as the engine is running and mine are wired so the cut off when the bike is off. Oh I can't really run the spot lights and the heated grips on full but then that is 165 watts extra lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's another vote for the 3-fingered Hein Gericke Pathan gloves from me! Though I do wear thin 5-fingered inner gloves with them as well (and any other glove I wear in winter). They're a very well made glove, and even after having an off with mine last year they're still performing great.

Coupled with heated grips you can't go wrong. In fact last year I very nearly made my own bar muffs but in the end found that I didn't need them with that combination.

I have a pair of Spada winter gloves, cost £40 and they're great. But nothing will keep your hands warm other than heated grips, heated gloves, handlebar muffs or a combination.

Some gloves, with added liners will stop your hands from freezing, but you will need an actual source of heat for your hands to stay WARM.

Spada gloves are alway good value and last quite well :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about buying a pair of Rukka Mars gloves, particularly after this morning's commute which deadened my fingertips and thumbs after about three-quarters of an hour on the road.

Any thoughts on the effectiveness of Rukka gloves?

no idea (youll have to wait for someone else to answer)

but...

I solved my cold hand problem.

I bought some of those tea cosy things that go over your grips/end of handle bars.

I covered the lot with aluminium foil and then wrapped cling film around them to keep it on.

I then duct taped a black plastic bag over the top for water proofing and fashion purposes.

It looks like shit but last night I was riding with just a thin pair of woolen gloves and my hands were fine! (zero degrees).

whole lot cost me about 6 quid.