how do i get my visor to stop steaming up?

Ok ive done nearly 300 miles since getting my bike the other week and i would say 90% of the time i have been riding around with my visor up. Which is nice when your boiling hot, but not very nice when your doing 50 or 60mph in the freezing cold with tears been streamed across your frozen face.

I find every time i put the thing down it steams up within a minute.

I have heard of sprays and things, but i have no idea what to do or whos advise to trust.

I plan a trip to halfords this week to get the gear to clean my bike properly, does anyone know of something i could pick up there that would do the trick?

Yep, a pinlock is best. Others include something like the fogcity inserts. Halfords sell a can of visor spray by Holts, it not brilliant but it works to a fashion. Try riding with visor just one click open too

:stupid: Go to be pinlock if you can get a visor that has it. If not, try a stick on insert, pinlock and stick on ones basically form a layer of air trapped between the visor and the insert. Bit like double glazing. This prevents fogging. Would not be without it after two helmets with it.

Catcrap :lol:

no seriously, i got some last week, works great, you just have to apply it quite frequently and make sure once you've rubbed it on your visor to buff it off properly with a dry cloth.

i can ride all the way to work with the visor down, even when i'm sitting in traffic

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CatCrap-antifog-motorbike-helmet-visor-goggles-dotw-/250713706471?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item3a5fb38fe7

edit - a good review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet-visor-anti-fog/

Wow all these solutions are so expensive.

I find it insulting that helmet manufacturing companies charge you an arm and a leg for a helmet, yet you have to go out and spend more money before you can use it for what you need it for (riding with a visor down while been able to see).

£20 for a pinlock w/e that is... £10 for spray which wont last long.

Pretty ridiculous.

Or ride with the visor one notch open.... for free.

if he's anything like me, even riding with the visor open a notch doesn't work. Has to be open at least a few inches to stop the fogging, and then you get blurry eyes from the cold wind.

i don't go anywhere without my catcrap now :shock:

Unless its absolutely freezing I can ride easily with out my visor fogging up, if it does one notch open and its fine.

Sometimes at standstill it may fog but one notch or two open fixes that...

your doing something wrong :lol:

Unless its absolutely freezing I can ride easily with out my visor fogging up, if it does one notch open and its fine.

Sometimes at standstill it may fog but one notch or two open fixes that...

your doing something wrong :lol:

you're right, i'm probably breathing the wrong way. Dam, i thought i had that whole breathing thing sussed out after being alive for 30 years! :mrgreen: :up:

Ben"]Wow all these solutions are so expensive.

I find it insulting that helmet manufacturing companies charge you an arm and a leg for a helmet, yet you have to go out and spend more money before you can use it for what you need it for (riding with a visor down while been able to see).

£20 for a pinlock w/e that is... £10 for spray which wont last long.

Pretty ridiculous.

From what I've seen, the visor is more there to protect you while you ride. Riding at night in the summer you become an insect magnet - Had a pretty hefty bug splat on my visor, if it was up I would have been off the bike for sure.

While the pinlock may seem expensive, you can use it on more than more helmet (when you buy another - they don't last forever) and you can get tinted ones too - and swap them over.

I've used sprays from day one, but got feed up and bought a pilnock - love it.

Some people say that it can dazzle you at night as you see a rim of light around the edges - I wear glasses so see that every night anyway so it's easy to get used to.

I've also use a breath deflector (is that the right term?) - I've found it helps, but you do reduced your vision with it.

http://www.respro.com/products/racing/o ... oggy_mask/ Or similar location, i just googled the make and came up with this website..

I got one of these and had to glue it into the helmet as the velcro was the wrong way around! It works like a charm and i wear glasses, no more fog.

Downside is it does restrict your breathing - when you are at a standstill i.e. lights or getting ready, but not enough to turn your lips blue!

BB

Neat Fairy Liquid.

Put a small drop on some soft tissue paper, wipe it into the visor until it's clear (ie not streaky) works for a week or 2 then you'll need to re-apply.

It's not perfect but it works, or rather it has worked for me the past 2 winters!

Can't hurt to try :)

Possibly!

I just treat the inside of my visor every couple of weeks and it's usually fine. I treat the outside with Pledge, it helps the rain bead off, cheaper than rainex or similar products.

I need a new visor really though, dropped my helmet the other week (before the rozzers broke my bike) and though I caught it before it hit the ground, the visor scraped along the wall, leaving a nice scrape in the middle of my view :(

I think polish will make it start to dull though?

When I say every so often I mean it :lol: Like when its really covered in flys etc.

Could do it now actually but I'm too lazy :P

• 2 weeks later...

benglefen... if you have a decent lid it will have ventilation duct that allow air up the inside front of your visor 8-)

with a flip switch below the visor to open it or close it... :shock: :roll:

fine on the move, so when you come to a stop you have 2 cheep options my son... :shock:

stop breathing or lift your visor a couple of notches.. :lol: .

if you don't have ventilation or notches to adjust the visor, you have a crap lid....bin it and get a good 1 :mrgreen:

or fit a pinlock at a cost :stupid:

regards

aj :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Neat Fairy Liquid.

Put a small drop on some soft tissue paper, wipe it into the visor until it's clear (ie not streaky) works for a week or 2 then you'll need to re-apply.

It's not perfect but it works, or rather it has worked for me the past 2 winters!

Can't hurt to try :)

as asharin

I use Fairy Liquid, or any other washing up liquid, best and cheapest anty fog solution , beats anything on market :up:

use to have pinlock insert but after 4-5 month it started foging, so had to rip it of and binit

I just bought the cat crap stuff, and find it to be f**king fantastic!!!

So cheap and easy to use, yet works brilliantly. Can't quote how long it lasts yet, but it easily works for at least an hour lmao. And with it being so handy, you can just carry it around with you. Perfection!!