Registration is quick and easy 

Recession

GARYJL

As of yet I dont think i've been affected by the recession

I still have my job, my wife still has her job and my lifestyle

hasnt changed but over the past few months i've definately

notice work getting quieter and I do have a bad feeling.

I was just wondering how many people on the forum have been

directly affected by the recession ie. lost their job or if they'll be

affected by the cuts that are coming.

I lost my job June 09 got back into employment 20th Sept this year... I went from 30k+ IT consultant to minimum wage, the wife works for Royal Mail and they are struggling to keep employed, they have to lose 9 in there HR office and there are only 20 employed...

Very tough times ahead, no matter what industry you are currently working in.

BB

Not as yet the company i work for is still turning a healthy profit and while the price of oil is high enough should continue to do so, its the flip side to the high cost of petrol etc!

The only trouble we are seeing is self inflicted due to the new computer system thats going in!

Well I haven't got a job here in Telford yet, but that's down to my hopeless interview skills more than anything I think :oops:

But the line of work I had hoped to branch into will be hit quite badly by the Government spending review, so that's that idea gone! And my pension is bound to be affected!

Being on a 0 hour contract, my hours have always been on the flexible side. Past couple of months it has become quieter, labour budget is subsequently cut and those on salary are left understaffed to do all the work. Me, I get my hours cut, not that I like the job much. I've become accustomed to the fact that I won't be money rich but I can, at least, be time rich. That being said, I'm lucky enough not to have any dependents.

It's been rather strange in the industry I work in. 2008 was terrible and we made quite a few redundancies. 2009/2010 have been much better in terms of workloads but we are now understaffed and can't afford to take on any more staff as we have had to reduce costs significantly. But overall I'm glad to still have a good job and income and it seems reasonably secure for the moment.

My second job in a bike dealership is ticking along reasonably well. It's not been a bad year but it's a far cry from spectacular bike sales of 5+ years ago. Many smaller (and some not so small dealerships) have gone under so the bike industry seems to be consolidating into fewer but more secure businesses.

The other big hit I've taken is the value of my house. I bought in 2005 (bad idea) the value has plummeted and analysts reckon they will fall at least another 10% further. Not a big deal at the moment as I don't need to move but if I needed to in the next five years I'd be fairly shafted.

luckily for me i am very busy and my job is looking safe even though we ve just had 10 redundancies through out the company. My wife however as had to move to another hospital after they closed down the ward she had worked on for the last 15 years. She has gone from doing 2 nights a week to 4 days losing over 200 a month in salary plus we now have to spend over 40 quid a week in child care which we never had to do before :(

I'm not affected at the mo, hubby's job seems ok although is company did make loads redundant last year - luckily he escaped. My son was made redundant just before his baby was born, and with large debts he is finding it very hard although we are helping as much as we can.

Been going through serious difficulties this year not as a result of the recession but personal circumstances. Primary agriculture has been on a slow workforce reduction for years and this will continue for the forseeable future, hopefully this will help my son as he gets his contracting business into gear. Having said that one of the local contractors has gone out of business but he was heavily reliant on borrowing and HP.

Generally I reckon the recesion has a long way to run as the underlying issues didn't begin to be addressed until after the election, house prices will fall further as people are laid off and banks continue to be unable/unwilling to approve mortgages. Small and medium sized enterprises will continue to be denied the credit facilities to survive and/or expand which will cause stagnation in the economy, causing real issues with long term unemployment due to the huge numbers of job cuts still to be implemented both in the public and private sector.

Food prices will continue to rise as the cost of importing foodstuffs increases due to a combination of fuel costs and an adverse exchange rate, this leads to a kind of triple whammy with food being more expensive to produce at home and a double effect of a low pound making importing more expensive and exporting more attractive. The exports would be helpful if succesive governments hadn't neglected/destroyed our manufacturing industry.

I really feel for the effected people among you. I survived the redundencies in my company. My wife also survuved the redundencies in hers.

Like some others i am fortunate not to have lost my job and even had a small (very small) pay rise but compared to others taking pay cuts i am very fortunate.

With all the public sector job cuts coming i am a bit fearful of a further dip in the ecomomy but time will tell.

Stuart

Lost mine in March this year, still looking now - Lots of jobs going, if you have degree's etc...other than that, there are only ever about 5 jobs a week (on job websites) advertised, so not holding much hope out.

Job centre are being useless tw*ts aswell, putting me onto courses that they themself have said I don't need to be on :/

Bring on 2011, and hopefully a decent earning job.

I work for a govornment department and we have had three rounds of voluntary early retirement/severance schemes and some people have taken it.

The last offers though had no real enhancements so there would be no point in taking the retirement option unless you knew you had another job to go to.

At the current state the chances of going straight into another job are slim.

No one knows exactly where or when or how big the cuts will be but there is the general low morale which is not good.

The ships rudder appears to be missing and the feeling is that there are rocks all around and they are only just below the surface.

In the area I work we have lost 4 out of 14 staff and in some areas there are onlt two left out of 6.

All those who were on contracts have had to go as have any seconded by consultancies.

There are those that think that legislation is being altered or re-interpreted to reduce the workload. I cannot say any more than that.

My missus was working as a temp just 5 miles up the road.

She was there for 18 months and the contract came to an end.

Luckily her boss at the time introduced her to his wife who has her own company and she got a job with her.

Problem is that it is in Avonmouth Bristol which is a 95 mile round trip each day.

First week in her car cost her £66. second week in my car cost her£45. Yesterday she traded in her beloved 2.2 astra convertible for a citroen C3 1.4 diesel wich should cost her £35 a week. Day 2 in the new car and on the way to work she gets a chip in her windscreen which immediately turns into a crack. £75 to pay the excess on the insurance. Talk about bad luck.

The job is a permanent position but 95 miles a day is a real butt munch. But beggars can't be choosers and there was no work for her around by us.

I would love to be made redundant from my job as I hate it but people keep using our product so I keep working. Been there 19 years and would rather have permanent roid rage than work here but it pays the bills so I stay.

My missus was working as a temp just 5 miles up the road.

She was there for 18 months and the contract came to an end.

Luckily her boss at the time introduced her to his wife who has her own company and she got a job with her.

Problem is that it is in Avonmouth Bristol which is a 95 mile round trip each day.

First week in her car cost her £66. second week in my car cost her£45. Yesterday she traded in her beloved 2.2 astra convertible for a citroen C3 1.4 diesel wich should cost her £35 a week. Day 2 in the new car and on the way to work she gets a chip in her windscreen which immediately turns into a crack. £75 to pay the excess on the insurance. Talk about bad luck.

The job is a permanent position but 95 miles a day is a real butt munch. But beggars can't be choosers and there was no work for her around by us.

I would love to be made redundant from my job as I hate it but people keep using our product so I keep working. Been there 19 years and would rather have permanent roid rage than work here but it pays the bills so I stay.

95 miles round-trip seems pretty reasonable to me. Unless you're lucky enough to live near a large city then i'd guess it's fairly typical. But seeing as we have abysmal and terribly expensive public transport I really think that should be sorted or perhaps we should be able to dodge the tax on commuting costs.

If i worked in london a train ticket would cost me 7 or £8k a year. I don't think it's right that I should have to pay tax on 8k of my earnings just to buy the ticket that allows me to get to work to earn the money which brings in the tax in the first place.

Your right about the ship having no rudder Mighty Mariner

Cameron couldnt be more downbeat and depressing if he tried.

Surely the Government should be trying to increase public confidence

but all they seem to be doing is telling us how much worse its going to get.

Who's going to go out and spend their money when they dont know

whats around the corner.

I work for a government department too, i come from a family of civil servants (me, my dad, my mum). My dad was made redundant after 42 years. Fortunately he's managed to get by and find work again, and managed to clear most of his mortgage with his lump sum. My office seems to be fighting to stay open with the cuts (so we're on a mad stats drive, everyones suffering and lots of people are pushed out the door for smaller and smaller reasons) although fortunately my mum still seems safe for now as she works at one of the major sites. Well fingers crossed for the future, but a government job isn't a job for life anymore.

I'm just starting out .... luckily I've managed to land tbh a fairly well paid job (even though technically I haven't graduated yet and wont do till June 2011) at one of the only recession proof and infact completely and utterly bullet proof organisations in the country .... RBS Headquarters as a project manager, leading to a trainee accountant role in about 8 months.

Having said this my fiance who has a higher classification degree from a much better university than mine is struggling HUGELY.....there are sooo few places around for new entrants into the job market, and unfortunately it seems as if this will be the case for the next few years. Especially as the HUGE public sector looks set shrink considerably.

I thought I was doomed to become a statistic too as one of those graduates with a good degree. I was fortunate in that I did manage to get a job and I'm now trainining and as of next year studying to be a chartered accountant. I did think I would have to go back to uni to study. Interestingly just about everyone in my class has found work.

Im an elf, and this time of year is manic for us. we have noticed the cost of packaging has gone through the roof as paper has increased in price dramatically due to the strike in the mills in France, closures of mills in Scandanavia and the Chinese buying all the worlds pulp. As our reindeer food is shipped in from Guam, the cost of that has gone up a lot due to oil prices increasing shipping costs. We may have to put Donna down and have her with chili sauce and salad. Im no economist, but I think for us January will be really quiet.