Registration is quick and easy 

Hit and run driver on my parked bike

Guest Clover266

Last week a car driver knocked my parked bike over and did a bit of damage - I've only had the bike since Feb so it was a real pain in the neck. (Bent bars, scractches, twisted spindle).

Luckly I found a witness and I've delivered his details to the Police and hopefully they'll do something about it? Does anyone knwo what might happen to him? and the what the process is for him being caught and then the follow on for what happens to my insurance?

Also - how long does it normally take to fix a bike as described? It a Yamaha Diversion XJ6S - so nothing crazily exotic.

I've got a hire bike in the meantime so life could be worse.

Cheers CLOVER

Well it's an offence to leave the scene of an accident, I would have thought they'd have to make every reasonable effort to provide you with their insurance details, dont know if it's applicable to parked vehicles

Makes no difference whether the vehicle is moving or stationary, it's still classed as an accident.

Police will catch him (maybe) and will go round and have a word, maybe arrest him depending on whether you wanna press charges.

Either way, they'll get his insurance details, then you'll have to do it all yourself.

Don't know about the legalities bit, the repair should take anywhere between a couple of days and 3 weeks depending upon severity, workload at the repairers and your distance from the repairers. I'd guess at about a week with what you've described and the time of year)

My bike had more damage than you described on yours and it took about 2 weeks, and 4 days of that was due to me being so far away from 4th Dimension (I think they're a big player in bike repairs for insurance companies). Hope you get it sorted and the driver gets caught, the b*stard!

I think if the witness managed to give the car registration and make/model/colour they'll pay a visit to the registered address and have a word / check the car for damage that might suggest it's given your bike a low speed shunt.

If the witness just said "errrm, yeah it was a small blue car with a young guy driving" then I wouldn't hold much hope if I were you.

There was a thread on here a while back about a bloke who'd had his parked bike hit by a car which then legged it in a multi-story car park. From his story it sounded like the police were too busy to roll out any kind of investigation to track the person down and the owners of the car park were reluctant to help / have any CCTV footage viewed. It's so common I don’t think the end result generally involves a sledgehammer of justice to the offender.

The fact that the car drove off probably suggest that the owner was uninsured / driving illegally and in that case you'd be out of pocket either way.

Sorry to hear about this though, and it's worth keeping on to the police to see about any progress :cheers:

Cheers.

I've give the Police his registration and the witnesses contact details - I'll keep you posted.

Annoyingly I know the car that did it - tempting isn't it... but I'm not going down to his level.

My hope is this

1. He is insured and he pays the damages

2. Then his Mrs dumps him for being a dishonest dick head

3. It comes to light that he is here illegally and he is deported.

4. On the way home the plane crashes

Cheers.

I've give the Police his registration and the witnesses contact details - I'll keep you posted.

The police will act on information received if witness details are included. An arrest or Street Bail, Should be made in order to charge him for the offence of failing to stop at the scene of an RTC and Failing to report a collision, which could incur, (depending on the court, NOT THE POLICE), a fine, or fixed penalty.

Leaving the scene of an accident is a serious motoring offence, as it shows total disregard for the safety of other road users, also, there could, as mentioned earlier, be a a reason for not stopping, i.e DIC (Drunk In Charge), uninsured, untaxed, drugs or just plain revenge as he has a disliking for you or the way you were parked.

In all motoring offences, an Independent witness is the most important part of your evidence.

Cheers Gary - in that case he is rogered. The witness is someone I've never met before and she was also as annoyed as me!!

I've found out he was insured at least - no contact from the Police yet. Hopefully they are sending in a SWAT team right now :-)

Yes I think that they come down quite hard on a hit and run (or at least they should) - if an independent witness provides details such as reg. no etc.

Best of luck you must have been fuming!

Cheers Gary - in that case he is rogered. The witness is someone I've never met before and she was also as annoyed as me!!

I've found out he was insured at least - no contact from the Police yet. Hopefully they are sending in a SWAT team right now :-)

Happy tp help. PLease also don't leave it too long before you ask for a update.

But the Driver is in seriouse trouble. A question they are bound to ask him is, 'did you know you knocked a bike over'? to which he will reply 'NO!', But ingnorance is no defence, because if that was a child that he did not see, then it could have been a very seriouse incedent indeed, so they should be going down the lines of, DRIVING WITH UNDUE CARE AND ATTENTION or /and LEAVING THE SCENE OF AN TRC WITHOUT REPORTING IT.

Good luck, any further questions i will do my best to help you.