Advise on passing direct access (any DVDs or books I should)

I have already decided that I want to pass my full bike license, but all the training schools want like £700 to do it and that is just too much for me, I would have to save for at least 2 months to afford that cutting out most of lifes luxuries, and just before xmas too!).

I am just trying to figure out what my alternatives are, i am hoping for some kind of compromise between self training and a few days with a driving school, which should at least cut the price of the process in half if i am lucky.

It is my understanding that if i pass the test on my 125 I will have to have a restricted bigger bike for 2 years, but it is also my understanding that if i pass on my 125 i wont have to pay bike schools for bike hire etc... Is there any other way I could get my hands on a bigger bike to use? Bare in mind i have no friends lol.

And finally, are there any books or DVDs out there which focus on the mod1 and mod2 tests? Or pretest training. Pointing out all the things you need to know / do. For example until reading this forum today I did not know that you should do a life saver over both shoulders before setting off, nobody told me about this or enforced it on my CBT.

Look on you tube, plenty of mod 1 stuff on there, and a few funny ones too (knee down, stoppie kinda stuff). I'd recommend professional tuition though only if it is 2 lessons, one to assess where you are and one to polish up on stuff (assuming you can already ride ok)

I only done a lifesaver over one shoulder every time, was fine for me and test standard (as long as you look over the proper shoulder each time!)

You know, if you put your location in your profile it could actually help someone to for example recommend you good and not too expensive school :wink:

£700 sounds a bit excessive to me especially as you have some 125 riding experience. I paid £380 for my DAS - including MOD1 and MOD2 tests fees :) I have been riding on 125 since February so exactly 6 months.

And about books / DVDs, I can't help you there but I haven't heard about something focusing on actual tests. All I've seen are about advanced techniques or something

Just to clarify my location is Sheffield / Rotherham

The driving school i did my CBT with offer a free assesment ride. I am going to do that so they can give me a price, but people have told me they tend to be quite high for full tests.

Also, i am on youtube right now looking at videos of the mod 1 test.

Could someone clarify the licensing part of my post for me? If i pass on my own 125 will i just have a restricted bike (33bhp) for 2 years? I dont want them to give me one of those "light motorcycle licenses".

You'll be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. That's what I was going to do but a 500 is easier to ride and costs the same to do DAS. That said though, if you're used to your own bike you'd find it easier on that probably, as long as you drop any bad habits you may have picked up for the vital half hour. As my instructor always said 'you're only putting on a show to pass, you still can't ride yet'.

You will have full licence only you'll be restricted to 33bhp. On light licence you're restricted to 125cc like after CBT so it is totally pointless. Light licence you get when you do your test on a 125 bike which isn't on DSA "approved bikes" list. I can recommend you school in Doncaster where I did my DAS if it isn't too far for you. They also offer a free 1hr assessment ride :thumb:

Might be a bit far for me, but thanks tho.

I will look into it more, i was just hoping to find a dvd or something like an official product like a step by step guide to preparing for your mod1 and mod2 tests.

Ive found a lot of great topics on here tho, so thats a positive.

My DAS I budgeted 700 but came in just under 500 with test fees, I had 2 full days (£130 a day, about 7 hours per day with 1/2 hour lunch paid for all inclusive I.e bike hire etc) and half a day which was £60 quid (about 4 hours) just mod 1 training just going through each bit on a private training yard over and over til you could do it in your sleep. Which turned into a competition for highest speed thru the speed trap on the swerve test. It may sound irresponsible but it was a great laugh in an enclosed safe environment, and the trainers never let us get out of hand.