I'm a bit slow I know but...

Guest Qark

All I want to do is ride a motor bike but I seem to have got a bit confused:

Here are my stats...

46 year old, been driving cars for 25 years full license no problems. As a teenager been driving manual geared mopeds and bikes to 250cc - feel comfortable with clutch, brake acceleration dynamics.

Would like to buy 500cc Automatic scooter (I'm now fat (ugly and lazy!)).

So I need 1 day CBT £80-130?

Theory test £31?

Then need to take a course? Already been quoted £1000.00 'off-season special', Cobbz is suggesting 'do the course' £600.00 now that can't be right?

What should I be doing, I am not in a hurry to get the license or bike so can wait 2 years if that makes sense to anyone?

Is it a case of spend £1K and ride a big bike or wait 2 years to ride a bike restricted in some way?

Thanks, my first post :lol:

All I want to do is ride a motor bike but I seem to have got a bit confused:

Here are my stats...

46 year old, been driving cars for 25 years full license no problems. As a teenager been driving manual geared mopeds and bikes to 250cc - feel comfortable with clutch, brake acceleration dynamics.

Would like to buy 500cc Automatic scooter (I'm now fat (ugly and lazy!)).

So I need 1 day CBT £80-130? corretc

Theory test £31? correct

Then need to take a course? Already been quoted £1000.00 'off-season special', Cobbz is suggesting 'do the course' £600.00 now that can't be right?whatdo you mean y a course? If you mean training, the only on e in know of who is a local one only costs about £500, and thats not for off peak times.

What should I be doing, I am not in a hurry to get the license or bike so can wait 2 years if that makes sense to anyone?The two years may help, you could do the CBT and ride around for a year or two as you know you are comfortable with biking. Then you could possibally do the test with no training if you read the right book, watch the right dvd's as many people on this forum have done.

Is it a case of spend £1K and ride a big bike or wait 2 years to ride a bike restricted in some way?legally having to restrict bikes only apply to under 21's i believe, but there is nothing stopping you from restricting it at 46.

Thanks, my first post :lol:

this site may help http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/costs.htm , also this website has some good information on liscnece types http://www.a-surepass.co.uk/

by the way, if anything i have said contradicts with what is on those websites, i would go with the website because they have years of knowlege, and i have had 3 and a half hours sleep last night lol.

£1000 sounds a bit steep for the das...

I don't know about Dorset but in London the pricer school near me is £950 for a seven day course if you have had absolutely no experience and have just passed a cbt, but you can get much better prices elsewhere.

I know you can get better prices by shopping around....just by putting it into google I found one for £679 including the cbt in Poole. Try asking around for recommendations on who is a good school in your area.

If you want to ride a 500cc you may as well just do the direct asses version, the restricted licence is the same tests just on a smaller bike so you may as well just get to where you want to be.

What ever you choose good luck and enjoy!

Of course you could just do the cbt and ride around on a 125 with 'L's on for a few months then have a lesson or two just before you take your test. If you then pass trade bike up to 250cc or restricted 500cc for 2 years

I was in similar situation to you.... :? and went the more expensive DAS route (which is more costly but good if you pass everything first time) if not you are committed to paying for more lessons to try to pass as you can;t practice on 500cc without being accompanied. What I've spent on lessons I could have bought a nearly new bike. (If you do decide to take a DAS course ask what they charge for extra time if you happen to fail-it a good indicator of the company you are dealing with)

I may be old and cynical but bike trainers can spot middle aged men with money a mile away....why shouldnt they...they are a business after all :o

Given my choice again i would have done my cbt and spent the money I have spent on a I25cc Varedero and rode that for a year.Then took a couple of lessons and put in for my test independently if passed continue with the varaedero and trade up to 500cc after 2 years :)

it does depend on how much money you have and how urgent you are to get on a 500cc and yes how 'fat and lazy you are' :wink:

Good luck!

Of course you could just do the cbt and ride around on a 125 with 'L's on for a few months then have a lesson or two just before you take your test. If you then pass trade bike up to 250cc or restricted 500cc for 2 years

I was in similar situation to you.... :? and went the more expensive DAS route (which is more costly but good if you pass everything first time) if not you are committed to paying for more lessons to try to pass as you can;t practice on 500cc without being accompanied. What I've spent on lessons I could have bought a nearly new bike. (If you do decide to take a DAS course ask what they charge for extra time if you happen to fail-it a good indicator of the company you are dealing with)

I may be old and cynical but bike trainers can spot middle aged men with money a mile away....why shouldnt they...they are a business after all :o

Given my choice again i would have done my cbt and spent the money I have spent on a I25cc Varedero and rode that for a year.Then took a couple of lessons and put in for my test independently if passed continue with the varaedero and trade up to 500cc after 2 years :)

it does depend on how much money you have and how urgent you are to get on a 500cc and yes how 'fat and lazy you are' :wink:

Good luck!

That advice was exactly what I was looking for! The sound of reason, this makes a sense to me, I'm not a consumer or in a hurry. I have no money, time is another thing altogether. Many thanks

Good luck!

That advice was exactly what I was looking for! The sound of reason, this makes a sense to me, I'm not a consumer or in a hurry. I have no money, time is another thing altogether. Many thanks

Pretty much what I am doing, on my second CBT now, I plan on at least making an attempt at a test in 2012 (time and money should allow it then!) if I am honest it's the theory test that puts me off, I hate exams, even when easy and multiple choice!!

Best way to do the theory test is get the practice DVD's and keep taking the practice tests...seeing what answers you get wrong and learn the few if any that you' re weak on

plus the dvd also allows you to practice the hazhard perception test as well till you know what works best

After you have done that you won't have a problem. There is a set of DVD's doing the rounds on here somewhere?

It goes from bad to worse... If I substitute 'I would like to ride a Yammy T-Max', for a Suzi Burgman AN400 with a bhp below 33, does that mean I get my scooter without being milked by the MC school? My apologies, like I say I'm a bit slow :roll:

It goes from bad to worse... If I substitute 'I would like to ride a Yammy T-Max', for a Suzi Burgman AN400 with a bhp below 33, does that mean I get my scooter without being milked by the MC school? My apologies, like I say I'm a bit slow :roll:

you can ride and take your mod 1 and 2 on a 125cc independently of a MC school or with a school... once you have passed your mod 1 and 2 on the 125....you can only ride any bike with a bhp below 33 for the first 2 years....after 2 years you can ride what you like

(for example if you took your test mod 1 and 2 on a 100cc bike or a 50cc twist and go you couldnt ride a bike up to 33 bhp for the following 2 years)