Tests

Guest Numbers

Right i have to talk about this otherwise it wont get out of my head.

i am saving up for the 125cc A2 restricted licence and i hope to do it in march next year. but im still unsure on if i will need training for MOD 1. i watched a video on youtube of someone actually doing the test. most of it seems fairly simple. bet it looks harder than it is though. im not surer how much schools charge for lessons but i have seen a few placed that do a 3 day CBT to A2 licence at £400. i was thinking if i got some cones and went to a empty car park and practiced the things needed for MOD 1 then it would save money and would cost me less to get the licence.

The MOD 1 is £15 and if i did pass it first time i would be amazing as the first bit would only have cost £15 and i would then book some tests for MOD 2

what i dont want to happen is me spending more on lessons for MOD 1 if i failed it twice and then ending up spending more than if i had spent £400 for the 3 day CBT to A2

How many of you had lessons for mod 1 and did you pass it first time ? did you think it was easy ?

if i did get my full licence still dont know what i do about bikes. the 125 is just a bit slow hasent got the power to quickly overtake. i think a 600 would cost to much on fuel and maintance

started looking at the ninja 250r again they can be found for £3000 with low milage and on a 08-09 numberplate i think this may be better for me as its less tax, better fuel economy and things like tyres cheaper than on a 600

id say i was safe :D

MOD 2 i know i will need a few lessons things like roundabout lanes i can struggle with

things like emergancy stops i can do. i do them enough at traffic lights changing at the last minute :D

i will need to practice a slow 180 degree turn. the swerve i should be ok with

just slow turns and using lifesavers more often

I have tried to do my MOD1 without training and I failed 3 times :roll: (well 1st time I did stupid mistake and 2nd and 3rd time I failed due to doing it on my gf's bike which I had no training on whatsoever) Then I signed for DAS and passed it first time. It cost me £380 for 2 days + 4 hours training (including test fees). I would say it really is worth it, even at least 2 hours just to find out what are you doing wrong and what you need to work on.

I'd actually suggest training... I'm lucky in that I have emergency biker friends who have given me hints & tips but I still want to do a full IAM course for the bike (got a car one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would say best to do in on your own bike, although i havent done my test... just seems to make sense because you know exactly where everything is and if you are on a different bike you may end up pressing the horn every time you need to indicate.... that wont go well with the instructor.

I didn't have any training and passed mod1 first time

I used half tennis balls set up in the car park after work to practice

The layout and dimension of the test circuit on here somewhere

I'll post the link when I find it

Seems to me if you're asking the question, you're a bit unsure how your ability will match up to test standards!

In this case surely money on any training isn't wasted if it improves your riding technique in order to pass the test.

Strange that you feel you need more training to pass the Mod 2 than you do for the Mod 1?? I would've thought it ought to be the other way round - the Mod 1 being a more unfamiliar situation :?

I don't think it's the fact it's difficult, you just need to know when to do your observations correctly. I would be worried if you couldn't pass it after riding a geared bike on the road for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an idea if you are thinking of going it alone...visit the test centre on a day they are doing Mod 1's you will can the course and watch others doing it..then go away and practice..and as, has already been said...observations all the time as if you are 'on the road'

They are looking for slow control, ie u turns, slalom, figure of eight and the emergency stop.

Also worth looking more at what the 50kph swerve avoidance test involves

Just an idea if you are thinking of going it alone...visit the test centre on a day they are doing Mod 1's you will can the course and watch others doing it..then go away and practice..and as, has already been said...observations all the time as if you are 'on the road'

They are looking for slow control, ie u turns, slalom, figure of eight and the emergency stop.

Also worth looking more at what the 50kph swerve avoidance test involves

This is what I did, went to test centre a few weeks before MOD1 and saw the layout and watched a couple. I did my A2 licence on my own varadero 125 without any training, just a years riding experience. Failed MOD 1 first time, passed it 2nd time. All I can say about that is have a go, if fail, you will be more than ready for 2nd time round. They tell you where you go wrong, so know what to do for 2nd go if need it.

On MOD 2, is pretty straight forward, if been riding around on a 125 for a while, do same on that just remember to do everything by the book.

Which leads me onto my biggest help to pass MOD 1 and MOD 2, "Learn to Ride" Book, has so much information in it and helped me loads. Give it a look.

I am defiantly going to buy a book about the tests before i attempt anything

Mod 1 is only 15 quid so i cant see the harm in trying it first time and see what happens

i need to do my theory first LOL :D