Starts first time, but not second or third etc.

Guest Kawasaki_Vince

Hi, I'm having a (slight) problem with my bike where it will start perfectly the first time but if I don't put on the choke and let the engine go out then it might start the second time but won't start after that. Is this normal? I now have got the hang of push starting it and that works so it's not really a problem, more an irritation :(

Let me confirm, the bike normally starts first time but if it doesn't you can't start it at all?

If you left the bike for say half an hour would it then start?

If yes then you are flooding the engine, two options, open full throttle and press start button for about three seconds, repeat once or twice then try starting normally, this should get loads of air through the engine and evaporate some fuel, if that fails then leave for at least 20 mins for excess fuel to evaporate

If no I would suggest it could be the battery, it maybe faulty and only holding enough charge to start the bike once, if you can jump it straight away after your initial attempt I'd say this is your most likely cause.

Though before replacing the battery check there isn't something draining it, lights, heated grips etc.

You tried starting it with a bit of throttle? May be as said its flooding a bit (carb icing perhaps?) I flooded my ninja the otherday but managed to get it / keep it going by holding the throttle open and keeping it at about 4-5k for about 30 seconds lol.

Wow Chris92, you must either having nothing better to do than f**king around with the newbies or you really like my stories! Two of those in one day? Damn! :booty:

Thanks for the help, what I mean is that it starts fine first time, but if I let it idle to low and the engine swithes off, it won't start again after that, unless I push start it. I know it's not the batt because it is a brand new battery.

I know the answer to this is just keep it going after the first time, which I'm gonna do from now on, but I just want to know if this is normal.

I think Chris was drunk last night Vince.

That's quite a strange problem, I've had similar with my bike on a rare occasion but with some patience and getting the right amount of throttle (with choke = none, without = 1/4 throttle) I've always got it going again.

Not sure what causes it though sorry mate, think it might just a problem with older bikes.