Registration is quick and easy 

How do you "officially" move house?

Guest Chris92

Hi, weird question

How do you officially move house?

I live at my Grandads house but virtually everything is registered my aunts house (this is where I "officially" live. )

This doesnt bother my normally, but getting a credit rating its a pain, because my bank card is registered at my grandads house!

So instead of taking the easier route and changing my registered address I'd rather just "move house".

Besides the obvious, so insurance and driving license, what else do I need to change so "the record" shows I'm now living at my grandads?

Electoral roll. And you basically just need a credit record at the house you're living at (whichever one you want to live at - I'm confused). If you can get a utility bill in your name there, or your mobile phone bill for a few months - shows you're good for credit :D

lol thanks, doing that now

problem is went for a phone contract and i was declined so went in my grandfathers name. :P

You might be able to swap it over into your name...sure I did that in the past with my mam, she got a contract for me then I took it over. Can't really remember.

Get some stuff in your name at your grandad's, wait a few months and then use an online credit checker. They should have a record for you at your new place. The important thing is in the meantime DO NOT apply for credit in any way, shape or form. Lay low, pay your bills and sit tight.

No you can't change a contract over to someone else's name, as it's a legal document that stands until the contract runs out. It would have to be a new contract, if you were to change the name it would invalidate the contract and you would have to pay whatever is left on the contract.

Ash

Thanks

I read that on money supermarket thing

annoyingly I applied for it twice before realising this :oops:

from now on im going to do as you say, sit tight and start moving things over to my grandfathers address.

No you can't change a contract over to someone else's name, as it's a legal document that stands until the contract runs out. It would have to be a new contract, if you were to change the name it would invalidate the contract and you would have to pay whatever is left on the contract.

Ash

Sorry Ash, but you're wrong there mate. Every major mobile phone company allows it.

Ash

Sorry Ash, but you're wrong there mate. Every major mobile phone company allows it.

Since when? I worked for the carphone warehouse up until very recently, and it was always a no no with 02, orange, vodafone, tmobile etc

Well, 02 have done it for years, T-mobile were fine to do it with my girlfriends contract about 6 months ago...

Last time i did it personally was with vodafone about 2 or 3 years ago, got it transferred to my mum cos she wanted my contract... Not sure about Orange, but i'm sure they do. They just send out a contract switch over form i think, but when my GF did it in T-Mobile, they let her do it in the shop, with the previous bill payer (her ex-bf) on the phone.