Cold hands/ feet

I have a longish ride coming up this weekend, and with forecasted temperatures of < 0 - I need ideas to keep hands/ feet warm. I already have inner silk gloves and thermal socks, but they didn't really work in 10 degrees, let alone 0. I'd rather not have heated grips or something - any ideas?

In the short term, put your gloves and boots in the airing cupboard so they are warm to start with.

A possible help for your tootsies, ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs. Not the arch on the pegs. Keeps the toes marginally out of the wind, helps me.

In the long term, good quality kit, windproof and waterproof. Gloves and Boots.

I wear TCX Infinity boots all year round, i used to suffer terribly with cold tootsies, but these made a world of difference.

Cheaper gloves, recommended by a few on here are the Hein Gericke Pantheon gloves.

I uses Alpinestars something or other, but at £130 , they ain't everyones cup of tea..

Dunno if that'll help much ...

If you don't have muffs/guards (not necessary heated grips, but something to prevent the wind from hitting your hands - couriers have been known to use used milk cartons etc) you will get cold hands.

Lots of layers is the key to staying warm, as well as being waterproof (waterproof oversuits are the generally most effective way of doing this).

And what do you call longish?

Stop to warm up if need be, and a waterproof oversuit will keep your core temperature up, and therfore help your extremities.

(beaten by ingah lol)

I have though about hand guards, might look into it... All my gear is windproof and waterproof anyway... and longish by my standards is 2-3 hours... I'll stop at least once but I don't wanna have to keep stopping to warm up... thanks for all the replies:)

The only way you will keep your hands warm is either heated grips or bar muffs, you can wear as many gloves as you like but once the wind chill gets you it wont matter. As for your feet thermal socks with another pair over them followed by a thick pair and decent boots might just do it.

Ive been up and down to Liverpool and Aberdeen in the winter and found that this is the only way to keep warm, might have to invest in some heated socks this year

Never ridden a long ride in such low roads, but i have heard story's from my dad of him having to stop every now and again to put his hands near the exhaust to warm them up a bit. Should get nice and warm if you are doing a long ride :)

Apart from that, just add on the layers.

Wind stopper's is what you need, so:

Inner gloves

Socks

Neck warmer (big differece)

get all them, but make sure they are actually designed as windstoppers and that will really help with windchill!

On top of that, a good thick set of textiles will keep your body warm (I was lovely and warm for my 60 odd mile ride home from dans house!) yet my hands still got a bit cold, so i put them just infront of my legs where the air is pushed through the engine so get a bit of warm air, really helps!

Also try to keep your fingers moving, to help keep the circulation going around.

Control your speed as every 7mph reduces the wind chill reduces by about 1c, so at 70mph with an outside temperature of 0c the wind chill would be -10c.

I am looking for some sheepskin mitts to wear under my bar muffs with my heated grips.

You can always take clothing off if needed.

Dont stop for toilet breaks. mmmmmm warm.

Put some nightnurse in your cats breakfast and then put the sedated cat up your t shirt for the day.

Wrap yourself in foil and then put all your leathers on. Make sure you use lots on your head, hands and feet.

Run a hose from your nice warm exhaust into your helmet vent. Why waste all those lovely warm gasses.

Im sorry Ive not been much help. I dont know why im like I am. I just am. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Put some nightnurse in your cats breakfast and then put the sedated cat up your t shirt for the day.

Wrap yourself in foil and then put all your leathers on. Make sure you use lots on your head, hands and feet.

Run a hose from your nice warm exhaust into your helmet vent. Why waste all those lovely warm gasses.

Im sorry Ive not been much help. I dont know why im like I am. I just am. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Lol !

I loved the thought behind the sedated cat ... kwality !

• 1 month later...

Have tried a number of solutions to solve freezing cold hands and all have failed. e.g. heated grips (only warmed my palms not my fingers), 'proper' winter gloves and thermal glove liners (nope - no good on a long-ish ride) and finally found an option which works brilliantly!

Keis heated inner gloves - found them for less that £50 (so cheaper than heated grips or decent winter gloves).

Easily wired into the battery or can be used with an external battery pack. I went for the former as the extended life battery pack is around £80.

Went on a 2 hour ride in close to freezing temperatures and my hands/fingers stayed warm throughout. Wow - a revelation.

Downsides:

1. Add a bit of bulk, so make sure your outer gloves will accommodate OK without losing flexibility/control.

2. A bit fiddly plugging everything in, so can be a pain when you stop for petrol etc.

But the pros outweigh the cons.

As Techno says carrier bags on your feet and get some plastic gloves from a petrol station (over your inner gloves) Or get some large washing up gloves to go over your gloves.

And wiggle your toes and fingers to keep the blood ciculating.

Failing that get some 'Cold killers' socks and inner gloves.

I've heard that hand guards (ideally them textile things you put your hands in), along with heated grips, works flawlessly.

Personally, i'm young enough to find inner gloves "good enough".

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant!

On cold trips through the night i've been stopping and holding the exhaust pipe to warm my hands.

Caution, my friends glove caught fire doing this...