Registration is quick and easy 

Every Winter It's Always the Same,,,,,,,

Roadtorque

A bit of snow & it all grinds to a halt, OK I know I go on about gritting the roads & that comes under the county council & they're always good for having a go at,, But what about us the motorist ( not talking bikes ) slipping & sliding our way from A to B, wheels spinning trying to get a bit of grip, wheels sliding wondering if you'll stop before you hit the car in front,, you know what I mean,,,,

So the question is,,,,, Should all cars & wagons carry snow chains ?? and should it be compulsory, ??,,

I'm not keen on the E,U but they do have some logic with road vehicles, that they should be equipped with basic safety measures, A First Aid Kit, Red Triangle, Spare Bulbs, E,c,t, E,c,t & I'm fairly certain in some country's, Snow Chains,,,,,,

???????????????????????????????????

http://cars.failblog.org/2010/11/24/fun ... ffing-out/

The thing is that we don't normally get it really really bad.

Imagine what the chains would do to the road surface in the places that do get treated. The potholes round here haven't been sorted since last winter. God knows what the state of them will be like after this one....my poor car....

If everyone were made to have snow chains then they wouldn't need to grit the road (my opinion, so don't know if it would work in reality) saving the council millions. Maybe they could provide us with chains, might be cheaper?

I don't know what it's like up north, but here it's almost never really that bad. Maybe 1 or 2 days in the entire year. The problem is so many people don't know how to drive in slippery conditions. Most people don't even know what a clutch really is! People don't understand that the car stops quicker when the wheels are still turning. I spend a good 10 minutes last winter convincing my would be mother-inlaw that she was confused and that snow&ice actually calls for use of higher gears where possible, NOT lower ones as she thought :roll:

Snow chains would go unused; I recently had to explain to a woman at work how to check her tyre pressures. WTF. I caught my mum topping up her oil through the dipstick hole. So many people rely on their brakes too much even in dry conditions too. Foot on the gas until the very moment it's time to use the brakes. It's snowing... drop a gear as the roundabout approaches rather than touch the brakes? Eh? What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

And then everyone just uses it as an excuse to have the day off work.

In the sixties at the first sign of snow my dad would go to the garage and drag out the snow chains, he was determined that we were not going to be snowed in and that we would carry on as normal, and about every trip to the nearest town we ended up in a ditch that he hadn't seen because of the snow, we had to sit in the freezing cold car while he went off to find a farmer with a tractor to pull us out, snow chains are only as good as the drivers that use them and we don't get enough snow for long enough for people to learn how to drive with them on.

In parts of the U.S where they get a lot of snow some truckers attach snow plough to their rigs and go out and do a little freelance snow ploughing for the county, the county pays them for doing it, it keeps the roads open and saves the county the cost of having to buy more snow ploughs which would just sit around for the rest of the year, but you couldn't do something like that here when we might only get two days of light snow a year for ten years before we see any real snow.

I had winter tyres fitted to my car a few weeks ago, not only do they grip in snow, but the softer rubber makes stopping much quicker and safer too. If I can't get out to work I don't get paid, so they are a good investment as far as I'm concerened. :D

If people had snow chains in their cars, the idiotic drivers (most of them) would put the chains on the tyres when we have an inch or 2 of snow. the chains would grind down the road surface making britians roads worse, so actually it wont save the goverment shed loads of cashs as then they would need to replace all our roads surfaces every year or so! :roll:

I say if you want to travel when there is deep snow get either a quad or a trials bike, as both of these are easily pushable, and dont block the roads for other road users, where as on a dual carriage way it only takes one car to block off the road. :lol:

I also strongly believe that motoring tests/training should include sessions on how to deal with snow / ice, what gear to select (if in a manual) how to accelerate etc. One other thing that should happen, although it would be hard to enforce would be to have a blanket speed reduction in snowed up / icy areas so people dont go racing off down the roads, and end up crashing because of their stupidity, costing insurance companies and the goverment even more in damages. :|

One thing to add to your 'winter is always the same' is that i have noticed that vechiles on the roads now consist of about 40% 4x4's, 30% van drivers, 10% lorry drivers, 10% people in/on other forms of transport and 10% 2 wheel drive cars with idiots behind the wheel. (ropunded figures and i know there will be a few owners of 2 wheel drive cars that are braving the weather and good for you/them, but its not worth the risk, be sencible and stay at home! :roll:

Our goverment is apparently trying to cut back and save as much money as possible... and somehow they worked out that if they decrease the amount of cash flow given to the emergency services, and tax the people heavier, that we will somehow come out of this 'recession' yet all i see are the goverment's wallets getting fatter and fatter... :x -- anyway, they wouldn't be able to afford to fund a campain/advertisement with all these 'nessesary cuts.' :roll:

I can't understand why driving tests are being cancelled due to weather :scratch: They should prepare people to drive/ride in all conditions, not only on warm, dry roads :roll: I have passed my test in February when weather was much worse than here now. More snow, much colder and everyone were fine... And that meant I started my driving with at least one skill that was really useful :)

There's a test centre next to the office I work in, watching learners on ice is fantastic! Last year one went across the road, slid down the slope to our car park and embedded their car into the entry barrier.... Classic!

As hinted above, I think the problem lies in the standards of driving in this country, rather than the small amounts of snow we get

:stupid:

i learnt to drive in a little snow, and i was taught well, i also took my first bike test in freezing sleet and snow conditions, (i failed) but from what i know, people forget what they are taught as soon as faced with the situation as panic sets in, and how can you expect someone who doesnt know how to drive and look after car normally to be able to have the common sense to use snow chains properly and drive properly in the snow?

and this is the third winter on the trot there has been snow so is it something we will have to start getting used to?

Is it possible to get snow chains for motorbikes? :lol:

Could be a useful investment for me considering there's well over a foot of snow outside and our road hasn't been gritted at all since last Friday.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... quivalent/

&

http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/lsh ... 107,,,.htm

There's a possibility for yourself Decor, but as one of the reviews states down the page, why not just wrap a bit of rope around your spokes, and the tyre? If it's not too thick in diameter and your not hard on the throttle i dont see that being a problem at all, as long as it's put on tight, and your not driving on ice, or tramac with it still attached.

snow chains - they'd rip up the roads something rotten. and useless fact, they're banned in Oslo! because of the damage they do to the roads.

and i object to being lumped in with the "idiots in two wheel drive cars"! i was driving in Scotland last Christmas in heavy snow and have been out a few times in my front wheel, 2 wheel-drive car since the snow came down and i have had no problems. Mind, i'm a cautious driver who relies more on observing traffic and slowing in time without too much reliance on my brakes in this weather.

i think common sense in this weather is essential, which is sadly lacking in a lot of drivers on our roads. In my opinion :mrgreen:

:shock: £94

That's ridiculous!!!

Though they do look pretty good, you would have to buy two sets of 5 as well, no good having the back if the front goes, if anything you need the front more, can still control it a bit slightly if the back goes.

They don't look like they'd be too difficult to make if you had something to cut the metal.

When I was a kid winters with deep snow were the norm, not the exception. We'd often have 5-6ft snowdrifts outside our house and my dad would have to dig us out! I don't remember the country grinding to a halt, and the only 4x4s on the road would be old Landrovers confined to rural areas. We had to walk everywhere, many people didn't have cars (us included) - so the sheer volume of traffic these days is the main cause of such problems, we rely on them to get us from A to B.

Some people are such idiots driving in snow and ice too, as they are in other dangerous conditions such as thick fog. I had a relief postman come the other day, he shot past my window at such speed I thought he would end up embedded in my wall - my drive was snow and ice :shock: . He was then revving so hard to reverse out he was doing wheelspins :roll: what a tw*t! I had to put some cones up the next day to stop him driving near the house! I would hate to meet him on my lane, which stays thick ice for much of a cold spell. I try to hardly use my brakes in snow and ice but make sure I drive at a speed where if I do need to use them I can do so relatively safely. People usually just drive too fast for the conditions.

One particularly bad winter some years ago I had to go up a very steep hill where cars were abandoned all over the place. I was approaching the steepest part of the hill, when a big 4x4 suddenly swerved onto my side of the road and started sliding down towards me! :shock: I thought, WTF?? :shock: :shock: and had to swerve to the other side, then realised he had tried to avoid a huge area of sheet ice which I drove onto. I thought I was going to crash, but just took my foot off the accelerator, gave it a little touch every now and again to keep me going and managed to clear the ice - WOW was I relieved especially as I had my young daughter in with me! But had I touched the brakes or revved I would have been a goner ..

and i object to being lumped in with the "idiots in two wheel drive cars"! i was driving in Scotland last Christmas in heavy snow and have been out a few times in my front wheel, 2 wheel-drive car since the snow came down and i have had no problems. Mind, i'm a cautious driver who relies more on observing traffic and slowing in time without too much reliance on my brakes in this weather.

If you intend to quote my text at least have the decency to quote me correctly and not reform it to suit yourself, or change it's meaning. - I stated: "2 wheel drive cars with idiots behind the wheel." If you do not class yourself as a idiot on the roads then you'd obviously then fall into the: "10% people in/on other forms of transport" category. As I wrote it I made sure that it specified that the stupid people driving cars irraticaly were the 'idiots' and not that the '2 wheel drives' were the idiotic mode of transport. :roll:

Thankyou. :roll:

I had winter tyres fitted to my car a few weeks ago, not only do they grip in snow, but the softer rubber makes stopping much quicker and safer too. If I can't get out to work I don't get paid, so they are a good investment as far as I'm concerened. :D

Me too, they seem to do a very good job, just get a second set of wheels and you can swap them around easily.

When I was a kid winters with deep snow were the norm, not the exception. We'd often have 5-6ft snowdrifts outside our house and my dad would have to dig us out! I don't remember the country grinding to a halt, and the only 4x4s on the road would be old Landrovers confined to rural areas. We had to walk everywhere, many people didn't have cars (us included) - so the sheer volume of traffic these days is the main cause of such problems, we rely on them to get us from A to B.

you wouldnt remember the country grinding to a halt, but then you would rememebr the local butcher, veg shop and what have you that were within walkable distance, and you didnt need to drive to work as your job was around the corner.

this is one major problem with the way we have changed, our local villages are like ghost towns because the superstore has taken over outside of town, work places are miles away on industrial estates and you can only get there by car. hense now when it snows we come to a standstill.

Me too, they seem to do a very good job, just get a second set of wheels and you can swap them around easily.

Yep I rekon I would of been stuck several times without them :)

I would get a second set of wheels if I could, but they never did steel wheels for my car and a second set of alloys would cost an arm and two legs, it's an Alfa 159 :)