Water in tank

Decor58

Ok so I'm pretty certain there is a reasonable amount of water in my tank, wasn't able to fill up before all this snow came down and the bike has been sat a long time in this cold and tbh I'm not 100% sure about the seal on the tank.

I've googled for ways to solve it and came across this unusual method of putting meth spirits in the tank, the alcohol should then react with the water and get rid of it. I know them chemistry seems pretty sound, but before I try this, have anyone else ever tried this? Any idea how much to put in?

link

Edit to add, the bike wont start and is misfiring, battery is fine.

Yeah I've heard of the spirits in the tank.

Probably worth a try, and just getting the bike nice and warm and trying to use a tankful of petrol, then just brimming it when leaving it?

I've just topped my YBR with fuel (what i had left, now its about halfway) and I'm letting it run/ride around on it to get it nice and warm.

I should state I have never had much in the way of water in the tank. Advice I was given was to switch to reserve (petrol will float on water) after you've filled the tank up and the water diluted. Hopefully this will burn through the mix.

Your safest best is to drain it and fill it with fresh though as already mentioned.

Just dump 100% pure alcohol in there, that way there are no other ingriedients to potentially do any harm. Though yes, in theory it works and I imagine it will work though the bike won't run as sweet as it did until you get some fresh juice in there.

get a piece of hose pipe and use it to suck it out, i did that once when i had a mixture of petrol and diesel in my old scooter, but leave some in to get you to a petrol station on have some fuel at home :D

Thanks for the advice guys, I left it a day or two as was unable to get any maths or more petrol if I drained it. Had a go at starting it on the off chance a couple of days later and it worked! :D

I've no idea what happened, guess maybe it wasn't water, might have simply been far too cold :roll: but the bike works fine which is what matters

Thanks for the replies (sarcastic ones as much as useful ones lol)