Jump starting?

Fulhamatt

Hey guys, not been around for a while, but need a bit of advice, I've searched as far as I can but just wanted to get a few opinions on here before I make a decision.

Haven't been riding for about 2 months, but have been starting the bike weekly or every 10 days and ticking over for approx 10 minutes, anyway, on Wednesday my bike (Suzuki GSX650f) started clicking upon pressing ignition switch (Electrical clicking like a relay trying and failing to engage) anyway, I thought i'd leave it til today and then jump start it or bump start it - Went outside to try getting it bump started, but now, all that works is the alarm, nothing happens when I turn the ignition to on, leaving me with no choice but to either buy a trickle charger (Cant afford at the mo) or, try jump starting it... My question is, will I be ok jump starting it from the battery of a 2000cc Ford Transit connect?

I know I cant have the Van's engine running when I jump the bike, but what's the worst case scenario with trying to jump start from a bigger battery?

Cheers, Matt

Its not advised matey! Get a trickle charger, cos from what you've said, your battery sounds like its on its way out, and so may need to trickle charger again and again.

Its nearly a must-have for bikers everywhere anyway.

should be ok to jump start off the van as long as the engine isnt running then disconnect the jump leads from van straight away dont touch the two jaws together and remove them from the bike battery will need to be run for a fair while to put some charge back into bike battery

Sounds like the battery is totally discharged. May be dead and require replacing, or it may recover onced charged. With the transit engine off, the 12 volt battery should start your bike fine. Usual disclaimers apply. Like cobbz just suggested, invest in a maintenance charger or somesuch.

Not that I'm encoraging your to blow anything up but after regular problems with my 125 NSR battery I used to jump it from a Toyota avensis, for the best result's, hook the batteries together, start the car and leave it idling for a good 5 minutes then with the car still idling and connected turn on the bikes ignition and hit the starter...

The car and bike batteries are the same voltage and the starter shouldnt pull more amps than the bike can handle.

But yeah, starting a bike and not riding it much will drain the battery pretty quick.

Will it not bump start? (ignition on, clutch in, push, drop into gear and clutch out? some bikesbump with dead batteries!).

If you can get it started then I would recomend either a good afternoons riding to help the battery or a trickle charger (with the prior working okay but the latter being more battery friendly!).

Let us know how it works out.

Best regards

-Jvr

I have literally just jump started my bike of a friends car using standard method.

Connect everything up, start car, leave 2 mins, start bike, disconnect.

Worked brilliantly, dunno how much more power is in a van battery but if it's not much bigger than a car it should be ok.

problem you can encounter with having the car running is the alternator put out far more amps then the bike batery is meant to take and it can damage the plates in it can also over load the cdi unit of the bike

The current capacity of the car alternator is irrelevant

The amount of current taken by the battery is affected by the state of charge of the battery and the VOLTAGE the alternator puts out, which is the same as a bike alternator

Thanks for all the replies guys, was more interested in if people have tried it and if so, what happened, some good answers.

To be honest, this would never have happened, but being as my tax fell at the worst possible time of year - I haven't been able to give it a blast every few evenings as i'd like to have done... It's a sad day when you have to declare SORN until the next pay day comes. Bloody Christmas!!!

Well, I'll be trying it off my van's battery tomorrow evening, providing I get home early enough and the weather's ok - I'll post when I get round to it to let you all know how it went!!

Thanks again!

Well, finally tried the jump start from the van's battery today, had some trouble getting the clips to stay on the bike's battey terminals, but once I did, all started first time with nothing to report!

Celebrated with a 20 miles ride in and around MK - As much as I could bear in summer gloves!

Currently going the the painful defrosting fingers stage, but that's a small price to pay!

Thanks a lot for all the advice. :cheers:

Glad it all worked fine!!

Sounds like you need to get some heated grips and better gloves though lol

I couldn't agree more mate, use to have some half decent winter gloves, but they got worn out.

Haven't done much winter riding at all this year, so haven't replaced them, probably will do now though :)

• 5 months later...

hi, i know the post is old but i'm just wondering about the jump start.... i tried doing this with my bike but i still get the same outcome, bike trying to start but doesn't run. i've hooked the car battery and bike battery up the same way i would to jump a car, hope that's right :?