High revving

stevie16v

Having major problems with the bike. When i start the bike without the choke its up at 3k revs. When i start it with the choke its up at 4-5k revs

I've adjusted the mixture screw to the book setting which is two out, the throttle stop screw is all the way out. I had a nice pop from the exhaust when i tried starting it earlier so i assume thats unburnt fuel.

Any ideas? im at the end of my tether and considering breaking it

Ps its a 93 diversion 600

If i keep it revving like that my neighbours are going to give me a kicking lol

Im concerned about the bike aswell if its revving that high. Im assuming when it gets warmer it would level out, eg higher, but i wouldnt be able to lower the revs. Am i right in saying its running way too rich if it starts without choke? what way would i turn the pilot screw to make it leaner?

Turn on the bike, make sure choke is off and the bike is idling comfortably. Then start turning the pilot screw (cannot remember which way, just try it and you'll hear the revs change), until it levels at about 1-1.2k :) that is the standard warm idle speed.

When the choke is on, it should peak at about 2.5-3k.

But i always lower my choke to about 2k max, as i hate the waste of fuel :P

Turn on the bike, make sure choke is off and the bike is idling comfortably. Then start turning the pilot screw (cannot remember which way, just try it and you'll hear the revs change), until it levels at about 1-1.2k :) that is the standard warm idle speed.

When the choke is on, it should peak at about 2.5-3k.

But i always lower my choke to about 2k max, as i hate the waste of fuel :P

The problem i was having that with the idle screw all the way out it was still at 4k, that was without the choke! It was over 5k with the choke.

I seem to be getting somewhere though. I'd swapped parts from carb no.3, and had a fair idea it was running rich. So, Mixture screw all the way in on that one, and one turn out on each other one. Was a bit more bearable. Was going to get the carbs balanced because i think it will just take a bit of tinkering, but the bloody battery died when i went to start it again. Ah well. Thats the last time i can spend any great time on it for the next 7 weeks as i'm away working. Hopefully get it spot on when i get back :)

The carbs i got where second hand and i have a feeling the jets werent great so thats prob what's causing the problem. If i can get it running smoothly enough that'll do me for now. Until i can be ar$ed spending more money on it

Make sure throttles are all shut, check cables aren,t tight and there s free play. Take tank off and airbox to gain access to carb inlets. Start engine and move each slide with pen to check for stiction.I