Advice on chain wax

NearOn

Just wondered if anyone can help, had my FZ6 since october now. And when got it, the previous person has used some sort of yellow chain wax on the chain. Anyone know what this might be?

On my previous bike I use Wurth chain cleaner and chain lube in cans, which I prefer. However seems better idea to carry on with whatever this wax is until I change the chain in the future.

Cheers

The muppet lovely person who owned my bike before me had used chain wax (and lots of it). I recommend you take off the sprocket cover (and prepare yourself!). The wax get flung off into the cavity round the front sprocket and creates an unholy mess. On my bike the entire space was solid with a mixture of chain wax and grit ... God only knows how many cans of chain wax the previous owner had used - the bike only had 3500 miles on the clock!!!

I used parafin and a toothbrush to slowly dissolve away all the wax and get it out of all the nooks and crannies. Then I dried it off, sprayed up the sprocket with Wuerth, put the sprocket cover back on and sprayed up the chain with Wuerth too.

Eighteen months and 7000 miles later I took off the sproket cover ... and inside it was pretty much as clean as when I'd cleaned it out the first time.

Wuerth is the dog's nads! :thumb:

The muppet lovely person who owned my bike before me had used chain wax (and lots of it). I recommend you take off the sprocket cover (and prepare yourself!). The wax get flung off into the cavity round the front sprocket and creates an unholy mess. On my bike the entire space was solid with a mixture of chain wax and grit ... God only knows how many cans of chain wax the previous owner had used - the bike only had 3500 miles on the clock!!!

I used parafin and a toothbrush to slowly dissolve away all the wax and get it out of all the nooks and crannies. Then I dried it off, sprayed up the sprocket with Wuerth, put the sprocket cover back on and sprayed up the chain with Wuerth too.

Eighteen months and 7000 miles later I took off the sproket cover ... and inside it was pretty much as clean as when I'd cleaned it out the first time.

Wuerth is the dog's nads! :thumb:[/quote

This sounds like what I want to do, did you use Parafin to get rid of the stuff on the chain too? As mine is caked in the stuff. Will also use Wurth on it once get rid of the wax.

Yep, just get a toothbrush (or, better still, a small wire brush) and a big tub of parafin from B&Q - use it to thoroughly clean the entire drive train then rub it down well with an old towel. Make sure you get right in under and round the front sprocket - that bloody wax gets EVERYWHERE! It is a menace. Then get Wuerth High Performance Dry Chain Lube - and use nothing else! That's my advice, anyway.

Don't use a wire brush on a chain. It's very important to take care of the O rings, once one gets damaged, the grease inside falls out and you have a knackered chain. Clean old lube off with paraffin on a soft paint brush, some tooth brushes are very stiff. Dry off paraffin with an old towel and finally remove all paraffin with brake cleaner that won't damage the O rings. Once chain is dry, apply chain lube to O rings on both sides and rollers in the middle of chain. Allow to dry, then ride it. When you get back from a long ride or every 200 miles, apply chainlube while chain is still hot.

Don't use a wire brush on a chain. It's very important to take care of the O rings, once one gets damaged, the grease inside falls out and you have a knackered chain. Clean old lube off with paraffin on a soft paint brush, some tooth brushes are very stiff. Dry off paraffin with an old towel and finally remove all paraffin with brake cleaner that won't damage the O rings. Once chain is dry, apply chain lube to O rings on both sides and rollers in the middle of chain. Allow to dry, then ride it. When you get back from a long ride or every 200 miles, apply chainlube while chain is still hot.

That's me chain knackered then! :roll:

Cheers for that, I pretty much followed your advice this morning, (got the paraffin from B&Q), apart from havent rode it, too windy! :D

Also I didnt have time to get to the front sprocket to clean it as have to remove the gear change linkage to get my sprocket cover off, and having not done that before, did not want to mess anything up without reading the old haynes first.

Anyhow thanks again, looks much better now without the horrible yellow muck.

Cheers for that, I pretty much followed your advice this morning, (got the paraffin from B&Q), apart from havent rode it, too windy! :D

Also I didnt have time to get to the front sprocket to clean it as have to remove the gear change linkage to get my sprocket cover off, and having not done that before, did not want to mess anything up without reading the old haynes first.

Seriously?? The sprocket cover on my bike is an absolute sod to get on and off, but it can just about be wiggled round the gear change linkage. AFAIK, they're designed so you can get them off without having to take things to bits!

Seriously?? The sprocket cover on my bike is an absolute sod to get on and off, but it can just about be wiggled round the gear change linkage. AFAIK, they're designed so you can get them off without having to take things to bits!

It looks like may wiggle off without taking gear linkage out but didnt have time, plus started raining not long after finished, no garage :(, but hopefully will have another go once got some free time, which seem to have mega lack of lately, rubbish!