Registration is quick and easy 

To shave or not to shave; that is the question

Aaron

I've got quite a good beard going on right now. I fancy keeping it until the sun comes out in an attempt to reach "epic beard" status. I'm reluctant to shave it off for a job interview because I tend to think that I wouldn't want to work for a company that would care about such things. But i'm also immensly stubborn (everyone says it so i will concede that it's probably true) so i thought it'd guage some opinions.

Epic beard or baby face?

Depends on the job. I kept telling myself I didn't want to work for any company that discriminated against me purely on my appearance. Shaving the dreads and the facial hair made a massive difference on job applications for me. Worth dropping your own principles for? Depends on the job. For mine, it wasn't worth it.

Is trimmed, tidy beard a viable option?

Well I think it is trimmed and tidy. But everyone else seems to think "Wild man of Borneo!".

I think if I trim off any strays and put some gel in my hair and wear a nice clean (as in not too patterned, not unsoiled :D) shirt&tie then I should be ok.

I think it's a big ageist really. I'm only 30 and have young looking skin, so i could easily pass for younger. They look at me with a beard and think it's scruffy.

If I was a 50 year old bloke with the same beard noone would even notice.

I'd say shave.

I started to grow a beard just after christmas, thought it looked pretty good myself (as do most guys growing a beard apparently) got to just over a centimetre before I fed up of people say it looks scruffy and shaved it off. Even though I did trim it around the edges to keep it neat.

I'm 20 btw and like yourself look much more my age with than without lol

I'd say shave.

I started to grow a beard just after christmas, thought it looked pretty good myself (as do most guys growing a beard apparently) got to just over a centimetre before I fed up of people say it looks scruffy and shaved it off. Even though I did trim it around the edges to keep it neat.

I'm 20 btw and like yourself look much more my age with than without lol

I got 2 or 3 inches. One mate did say he liked it although it's a bit "Mujahideen". That's what made me want to keep it. All I need now is some sandals, a tea towel for my head and a backpack.

Is trimmed, tidy beard a viable option?

Well I think it is trimmed and tidy. But everyone else seems to think "Wild man of Borneo!".

I think if I trim off any strays and put some gel in my hair and wear a nice clean (as in not too patterned, not unsoiled :D) shirt&tie then I should be ok.

I think it's a big ageist really. I'm only 30 and have young looking skin, so i could easily pass for younger. They look at me with a beard and think it's scruffy.

If I was a 50 year old bloke with the same beard noone would even notice.

I'm outside most days, so during the winter i sport a bit of a face warmer, it makes a fair bit of difference. Then it goes as soon as the sun comes out for more than three days on the bounce :D

Clean shaven I suggest, if you want the job.........I tried a goatee a while back but looked like bloody father Christmas.......... :shock:

and the abuse from my so called friends on here.sheeesh!

:worthless:

We obviously need to see this hairiness before we can pass our judgement!! :lol:

I notice that if it were a woman posting some question about her appearance then this smiley would have appeared in the very next post!!!

I have no opinion on the matter till I see a photo...

I notice that if it were a woman posting some question about her appearance then this smiley would have appeared in the very next post!!!

I have no opinion on the matter till I see a photo...

A woman growing a beard would be right too provoke that responce :shock:

Though had i been first to post here :worthless: would have been right on the cards. 2 or 3 inches long you say? Is it well kept or have you adopted joaquin pheonix's look?

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/mad-joaquin8.jpeg

If you want the job shave ! It's wrong but you will be discriminated against, fact.

The pic above is a reasonable years growth. I currently sport a 5 inch Goatee, This is 15mths growth after removing 20 odd years worth for charity.

So, shave , get job, grow beard. How easy is that ?

When I knew I was going to lose my job I reverted from pierced skinhead to average Joe/semi chav just because I knew that image would be more accepted for interviews. Either way I think bare face is the way forward unless you've got something to hide (serial killer) or prove for your faith (american mormon/Muslim) or you're totally comfortable employment wise and want to make a statement. There's a bloke in me local who's early/mid 30's and he's got the most awesome handlebar tashe you've ever seen! I just wanna call him biggles every time I see him lol

Why is it, as a young un you want to look old and as a "slight" oldie :wink: I want to look younger. I shave, you grow a beard. :?

And yes as a 30 year old I used to sport a beard and late 30`s a goatie. You wanna see my passport photo... I look like an Israeli terrorist.

Whats your GF think, I would have thought she had a big say in the matter. ???