Scottoiler or...

bullet5

<t>Scottoiler or stop being lazy?</t>  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Scottoiler or stop being lazy?

• Scottoiler
    • Do it yourself

Hello there, had a look and couldn't find another topic so what would everyone here suggest? The choices are:

- Scottoiler

- Stop dreaming of lazyness and do it myself.

I've read around and don't mind (too much) the extra time it'll take to spray/lube the chain every so often. However i'm normaly stretched for time as it is, and the thought of having to carry extra lube for it when going on long trips isn't too pleasing. If i'm to get a scottoiler then i may as well get one and install it before I start riding on the new chain/sproket set. And i'd also rather stick to one type of oil/application method for the life of the chain.

Anyway, advice/repsonces appreciated.

Thankyou.

Bullet5.

I am sure you have read my chain care thread, all depends on how much time you have on your hands Tom.

Doing it yourself is fine, Assuming you can be applied enough to do it everytime it needs it and not leave it thinking it'll be ok for a few days.

A scottolier is a great bit of kit from the point of view that you don't have to be so attentive to the chain.

It still needs attention though, just less so.

Scottoilers use a relatively thin oil, so it drips onto the chain and spreads itself under motion. In contrast, canned stuff is sticky and road grime sticks to it..

Having used both. I go with the scottoiler. Also check out chainoiler.co.uk and RiDE recently did a review of all of the gadgets on the market.

Scottoiler for me on every bike i've owned. There are cheaper options out there like Dan has mentioned plus 'Lubeman' which i think Akey uses.

All of them are easy to fit and well worth getting

Righ'i'o then, thankyou for the great replies. :wink: I have indeed read and re-read your topic many a time dan, loads of excellent advice on there :) and i've also had a look at some sites that compare the different types of lubrication applicators. Although having a scottoiler may cut the work load, I now believe the chain would be better looked after if I attend to it every weekend, (As the bike will (in the 1st few weeks) only be used for short trips, to get used to it (This is for the bandit)) when I do my weekly (normaly weekly) clean up. Which currently consists of stripping the major body panels, then cleaning the bike down with the mukoff, acf, rags and warm water. (Yes I now manage this within the hour :mrgreen: ) I will keep my ear's aloft however as no doubt a time will come when I wish to 'give it a go' :D

Anyway thankyou greatly for the replys.

Bullet5. (Yet another happy member) 8-)

Suppose it could be addapted so a servo opens the tap once the ignition is switched on, but it would be rather time consuming setting it up in the 1st place... Thankyou for the link and suggestion, but I think (for now anyway) i'll try to get along with the spray can and some more rags. :)

Thanks greatly.

Bullet5.

The Scotoiler (IIRC) is the only vacuum operated one, the rest are electronic or turn on and offable.

Essentially, the Scottoiler uses the vacuum created by the fuel system to let the oil flow. The oil flows by gravity and you adjust the flow accordingly.

Means it stops when the engine isn't running.

I fitted one to my Blade, piece of cake and good bit of kit. Specially if you do plenty of miles.

w ww.chainoiler.co.uk/

Another version ... does both sides of the sprocket though instead of the chain itself ... £17.99

squeeze for 3 seconds and then off ya go, sounds simple enough, and wont continue to drip after its ran its course.

w ww.chainoiler.co.uk/

Another version ... does both sides of the sprocket though instead of the chain itself ... £17.99

squeeze for 3 seconds and then off ya go, sounds simple enough, and wont continue to drip after its ran its course.

Have you got one of these? I've heard reviews that say the bottle leaks a little bit of oil onto your gloves, would like to hear if that's true or not.

w ww.chainoiler.co.uk/

Have you got one of these? I've heard reviews that say the bottle leaks a little bit of oil onto your gloves, would like to hear if that's true or not.

Naa, i was thinking about getting one though, where did you read that ?

If it happens with everyone then it might not be ideal, but im guessing itll be one or two people have had dodgy seals or summat.

w ww.chainoiler.co.uk/

I have had these fitted to 3 bikes and never had this happen. It all depends where you fit it, my current one is on the pannier rack so it gets covered in the gunk from the road by hey thats life on 2 wheels.

Currently this is the only oiler I will spend my hard earned on, at £18 its a bargain and it works brilliently the only thing I ever have to do is replace the tie wraps that feed the oil on the sprocket every 6 months or so (thats 10k miles!).

scottoilers are damn good, but if you've got a flash bike it does detract from the looks a bit imo

I have a scottoiler on my bike and tbh if you fit it nicely and tie it along the inside of the swingarm you dont even know its there. I used silver cable ties to match my frame and to be honest, unless I point it out, its pretty much unnoticeable..

scottoilers are damn good, but if you've got a flash bike it does detract from the looks a bit imo

I have a scottoiler on my bike and tbh if you fit it nicely and tie it along the inside of the swingarm you dont even know its there. I used silver cable ties to match my frame and to be honest, unless I point it out, its pretty much unnoticeable..

It's a bit different on a bike with a single side swingarm :wink:

Hello there, had a look and couldn't find another topic so what would everyone here suggest? The choices are:

- Scottoiler

- Stop dreaming of lazyness and do it myself.

I've read around and don't mind (too much) the extra time it'll take to spray/lube the chain every so often. However i'm normaly stretched for time as it is, and the thought of having to carry extra lube for it when going on long trips isn't too pleasing. If i'm to get a scottoiler then i may as well get one and install it before I start riding on the new chain/sproket set. And i'd also rather stick to one type of oil/application method for the life of the chain.

Anyway, advice/repsonces appreciated.

Thankyou.

Bullet5.

Oiler?? What oiler..... :lol: Get shafted.... :lol: