Registration is quick and easy 

How to sell a private number plate?

yani2k8

Hello!

My mate's just bought a £500 car which came with a private number plate. He thinks it's worth at least £200 and wants to know if he can sell it and get a regular reg?

If so, what's the quickest way around it?

Thanks!

go on a website that sells reg plates and get a quote. I have done that before.

Always wandered how you would get another one though. Would you have to buy another private plate, or would you get the one it was origionally registered with?

Or could you go down the scrap yard and get one down there, because those cars aint gunna be used again!

Just bear in mind that you cant buy a plate that is newer than the car (cant get an 06 plate for a 2005 car)

Hmm.. that's interesting. I'd assume after you've sold the private plate, you get the one it was originally registered with. May have to call DVLA and clarify that.

Also, do you know what paper work is needed in order to sell the private plate? Like, is it supposed to come with a certificate or something because I don't think he's got that?

Cheers.

I think the original plate should stay on retention. The vehicle needs to be road legal (I.e mot'd etc) to transfer the reg unless that's changed and also check on the v5 that the reg is transferable. Once a vehicle is scrapped I thought that was the end of that reg unless it is put back on the road again (although I can bet it's not uncommon that the ID and a valuable reg are put on a good vehicle just to transfer the reg to get the capital from it and sell it on)

We have this issue come up at work often, you will need to sell the private plate either through the dvla website or even on ebay.

With regards to the original plate, this will be issued back to you should it still be available, if not you will be issued a new registration.

Great, thanks for the help!

So, say he wanted to put it up for sale on eBay. How do you go about transferring the ownership of the private plate to the buyer?

Also, after you've sold it, do you just ring up DVLA and ask for the old plates back? Any fees that need to be paid?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again.

So, say he wanted to put it up for sale on eBay. How do you go about transferring the ownership of the private plate to the buyer? Also, after you've sold it, do you just ring up DVLA and ask for the old plates back? Any fees that need to be paid? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again.

Go to your local Vehicle Registration Office with the V5 log book, tax disc, Insurance and MOT, put the registration on retention (cost about £125), the VRO will assign a 'new' registration mark to the vehicle which if the original reg wasn't originally a cherished plate will be the vehicle's original reg. You get a certificate of retention (proof of ownership of the cherished reg) which you can sell and eventually a new V5 and tax disc with the new reg for the car.