Carbs, Balancing & Mixture.

bullet5

Hello Everyone :) Just thought i'd ask a quicki. Once the bandit's got new oil, oil filter, air filter installed I am going to be ballancing the carbs, so have had a look around and decided that i'll be buying a Carb Ballancer gauge. (Any recomendations? :lol: ) Seen as A. I can't take it to a garage to have it sorted before I start riding her, as i'll be using her (on my property) to practise getting use to her take off revs/handling etc, before I take my full license test and insure her, so I wouldn't have anyway of getting her to one, until she's insured. :(

But while I was thinking this I wondered about things such as fuel mixture. What are the principles of this? / Operation / Basicaly how do I check it and set it correctly without taking it to a dealers. :P

Many thanks. 8-)

Bullet5.

I wouldn't worry about the fueling unless you think she is running lean or rich. A quick look at the spark plugs will tell you this..

Get a haynes manual, this will show you the spark plug colours and their indications of fueling and how to get into the vacuum ports on the carbs.

As for balancing, any set of four dials will do. On my thundercat; you balance one pair of the cylinders against each other, then the other pair, than balance the two pairs against each other. After a while, you will hear the engine/exhuast sound starting to improve/degrade as you get nearer the sweet spot.

Simmantix

I wouldn't worry about the fueling unless you think she is running lean or rich. A quick look at the spark plugs will tell you this..

Get a haynes manual, this will show you the spark plug colours and their indications of fueling and how to get into the vacuum ports on the carbs.

As for balancing, any set of four dials will do. On my thundercat; you balance one pair of the cylinders against each other, then the other pair, than balance the two pairs against each other. After a while, you will hear the engine/exhaust sound starting to improve/degrade as you get nearer the sweet spot.

Simmantix

excellent thankyou for the reply. Ill be wipping the sparkies out to replace them with some shiney new iridums anyway (mainly for the smaller power drain on start up) so ill be able to check them then. :) Are there any gauges people would suggest for ballancing? ive seen a few but would like to buy a appoved one if you get my meaning.

Many thanks,

Bullet5

What Chris? Bitch fit?

How many posts did he make about his chain and other likes? :lol:

Its better to ask loads of questions and get it right, than ask one then f**k it up.

Plus what happens when one person ask's the questions a few others will follow the thread with interest as they might be thinking of doing the same work on their bike.

Keep on asking

hehe :) Thankyou TC. I've order a set of gauges now anyway, the mercury type like ingah put a link to (infact the exact ones) as the big auction site was about £15 dearer.

Anyway, thankyou greatly everyone.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Bullet5. 8-)

I used to have a gadget that you screwed in to replace the sparkplug. Clear glass, so you could see the spark with it,s own tube and mirror. Colortune, made by carbtune. A nice blue colour indicated the right mixture on tickover.

I'll have to have a look into those thankyou Megawatt. :cheers: Sound liek just what i'd need. But seen as i've spent over £150 in the past week on bits for the bandit and gilera, I can't really afford to buy anything else at the moment.

Much appreciated,

Bullet5.