Lid recommendations

You can get some good AGV lids for that price, Box helmets are good, Caberg flip ups are ok around that price...

I'd go for the AGV if i were you (and you don't want a flip front).

But, thats only if they fit you. A helmet has to fit perfectly. Tight, but not TOO tight. It should grip you by the cheeks, and when u shake your head side-to-side it shouldn't wobble.

Go into a bike shop and try a few on. Then check the prices online :P

You can get some good AGV lids for that price, Box helmets are good, Caberg flip ups are ok around that price...

I'd go for the AGV if i were you (and you don't want a flip front).

But, thats only if they fit you. A helmet has to fit perfectly. Tight, but not TOO tight. It should grip you by the cheeks, and when u shake your head side-to-side it shouldn't wobble.

Go into a bike shop and try a few on. Then check the prices online :P

+1

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15767

Go into a shop and try some on, I tried on an £210 helmet, was about to buy it then tried on an £90 HJC and it was so much more comfy.

Boothy

I've had a box in the past, and can't fault it in anyway, apart from the fact it was damaged when it was dropped :( (damn brothers) I'd deffinatly say go solid though for that price, as you'll get a greater noise resistant one. :) However, If your willing to pay a little extra you could get a caberg flip front. My father's just bought one (well a few weeks ago) and on the couple of ride out's he's had, he says it's lovely. Very quiet, and easy to use. 8-) IXS make some alright flips, however the one i've got (can't remember model-Update: It was the Bx1) has horrible ammounts of wind noise above 55mph. :(

Whatever you get make sure it's a goodfit, and has excellent noise reduction technology. For example no gaps in seals, a visor that is flush/very close to the main frame of the lid, and airvents that close fully, and dont leave a little gap (may not be much, but the amount of whistling you can get. :roll:

Good Luck, and don't let those pushy sales people take control. :wink:

Updated to include model.

Edited by bullet5

I have got both my agv lids for that money, i found the box helmet i had awful!

I agree AGV is better, but never found my Box to be 'awful' which one did you try? I find the BX2 to be quite comfy :) I tried a BX3 the other day though and it was horrible, it also has a worse sharp rating.

I have an AGV flip front, that I no longer use due to crash damage but my son wears it to play with :D

Edited by asharin

don't fall for the big name big price trap, plenty of good helmets under the 150 mark,,

find one thats really comfortable & keep it on for about 20min's or longer if you can,,

you should start to feel any tight bits after that time, where the helmet fits across the front of the forehead is the most common tight spot,,

a detachable lining is good as you can chuck it in the washing machine

• 2 weeks later...
would only trust shoei or arai, they fit my head perfectly and having crashed in them a couple times i am a firm believer of you get what you pay for...

Both of which have had their £400 helmets score lower than some £100 ones in the S.H.A.R.P tests

HJC for me.

Guest philgale
would only trust shoei or arai, they fit my head perfectly and having crashed in them a couple times i am a firm believer of you get what you pay for...

Both of which have had their £400 helmets score lower than some £100 ones in the S.H.A.R.P tests

HJC for me.

bollocks to the test, i dont trust it....the test has had so many people saying its utter shite so im not gonna bother with it.

after crashing in decent gear i dread to think what would of happened if i was wearing cheap stuff, i feel safer with a £500 lid on my head than a £50 lid so simple choice for me.

and i know there are good helmets cheaper as techno says with his AGV but the thing is they used to be expensive helmets.

[

bollocks to the test, i dont trust it..

I don't trust it 100% either, but it's better than your (or mine) rather limited experience of crashing?.

What do you think would make a better test?. Personally I feel a live action, 'crash test dummy on a bike crash' would be better. In varying different circumstances like what they do for cars.

I would say combine it with bike crash tests (to save costs for the helmet tests), but they don't do ncap styles tests like they do for cars.....do they??. It seems either way a bike is knackered after a crash, so it isn't much point seeing 'how knackered' one is from both a rider safety or bike condition point of view! :lol: .

Try loads of different makes, there are shells made for different head shapes. Depending on your head shape it could rule you out of certain makes. Also if you wear glasses try putting your glasses on and off with the helmet on. On the same point make sure if you wear glasses any movement of the helmet doesnt transfer through to the glasses frame.

I had a Shark that fitted really nice but at high speed lifted lightly and buffetted in the wind causing my vision through my specs to be worse, Scary:-(.

Look at the construction as well moulded thermoplastic shells are not as strong as laminated/ woven reinforced shells.

Get the best you can afford as with all your riding kit. Crashing hurts.

From experience Shark RSV very strong helmet but heavy and noisy. AGV very light and noisy. Shark RST Very very strong but not good with specs. Shoei XR1000 medium weight fairly quiet good visor with pinlock system as standard and spares easily obtained.

Value for money for your Budget I would go with AGV and earplugs if you can get one to fit properly.

My mate has a KBC and it looks excellent Value for around your budget.

http://www.racevisors.co.uk/product/kbc ... -Black-Red

I'm looking to get my first helmet next weekend and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some

I've got a budget of about 100-110

Cheers guys

He bought the AGV K3, figured he wont come back and tell you guys so.... 8-)

Peace!

I also reccomended not to get the BOX lid, seem so poor/cheap, even down to the vent openings.