When do you actually wear leathers?

I have a textile two piece, and leather trousers and jacket. Last summer I got so hot that I just couldn't cope with the leather jacket, the trousers weren't too bad though which I wore with my textile jacket minus thermal lining.

I tried the leather jacket when it got a bit cooler but found that it didn't insulate me at all and the textile was warmer with it's lining (and also waterproof).

I know that leather gives you extra protection regarding anti-abrasion, but is it that much better than a textile jacket with full armour?

My leather jacket (which is lovely by the way) hasn't had a lot of use! :?

Simple that one!

I don't!

I have textile jacket, one for summer which is falling to bits and one for winter.

Then I have draggin jeans which also needs replacing as I would actually slide out of them if i came off. And them i've got two lots of textiles, one that I wear over my jeans and another I don't wear anyone as there too baggy and I catch em on the pegs!

I think leather would be to hot for me and i find em uncomfortable!

Leather, especially heavy leather is excellent for abrasion resistance. Most tracks will only let you ride on em wearing leathers that are one piece or zip together. Trouble is it's bloody hot in summer. Some are well vented but most aren't. I'll stick to textiles on the road and leathers on track :D :D :D

I`ve got a good textile jacket that I normally wear in winter with leather trousers but the zips knackered so i`m having to wear my leather jacket too. Fortunately its apparently waterproof. Plenty of under layers keep the cold out and in summer I just keep the front zip undone a bit to let in the fresh air.

If your too got your not riding fast enough :mrgreen:

How does going faster make you too got lol

My leather jacket has a ventilation system, open zips at front and back and on arms air goes through the jacket, just remember to open ones at back or it blows up lol

Textile jacket for wet and cold!

I have been wearing my leathers when it is 2-5 degrees and been fine??? Just put a neck warmer on to stop the wind going down my color and one wore a hoody over the top.

Only thing that gets cold is my hands.

Not used them in the summer yet but my jacket has a padded liner i can remove so hope it wont be too bad. Also has air vent zips i can open. I plan on wearing leathers all the time.

If it gets too hot i plan to get some Hood jeans but will still wear the leather jacket.

Stu

All the time (on the bike) - Have got Hein Gericke leathers with TFL Cool system - together with the vents I do not overheat at all in the summer. Use a waterproof over-suit when really wet.

Guest philgale

full textiles in winter (well i did but im not riding in winter any more sod that) if its really hot textile jacket with removable lining and a pair of hood riding jeans (always boots and gloves etc)

i no longer own a pair of leathers in 1 piece, there off getting repaired at the moment, but my leathers will be track use only and when i wanna look 'ard and well fast down local bike meets :lol:

I only have my draggin jeans and a leather jacket. In the summer I just wear them and in the winter its the same but I put an old skiing jacket over the top of my leather and a pair of winter gloves! Can't really afford to buy a set for winter and a set for summer......

I don't bother with leathers, I've tried a few different brands and never got on with any of them.

Look a tit riding an adventure bike with leathers on anyway IMO.

My girlfriend has a one-piece and it's the most impractical piece of clothing I've ever seen, no pockets, draughty, can't fit boots/gloves under the hems, a pain in the a**e to wash, need to be proficient in yoga to get the friggin' thing on....

All the things I don't look for when buying bike gear.

I pushed the boat out a bit (a lot!) and got an H2 protec leather jacket from Triumph which claims to be waterproof, windproof and breathable, I can't say otherwise, been out in the cold and rain, didn't get wet, stayed warm.

Also a TFL heat reflective coating that reduces heat absorbtion by 20 degrees (claimed, not been out in the summer yet) It also has massive front and rear vents to keep even cooler. It also looks the dogs proverbials too, mind you, you really need to ride a Triumph as its logo'd up, but if you could find something of similar spec I would really recommend one.

just take your choice & go with what your happy with, I go with fabric most of the time, summer I swop between the two, leather I use with a couple of good base layers that I can peel off if I find it still to warm, but a good fabric jacket with a removable lining will do all year round & if you can take the lining with you just in case, it might be nice when you set off but it can be lot colder when the sun starts to drop :wink: