Registration is quick and easy 

WANTED: Career advise - Becoming a car mechanic

ENGBen

I want to persue a career as a car mechanic but I am not sure what I can actually do to get the ball rolling.

I am 21 years old and independent (in other words I have bills and expenses to pay, no family support etc... anymore).

I work just over 30 hours a week in two night shifts (every thursday and friday night).

This leaves me with the weekend + monday - wednesday free. Right now I am looking for some kind of day time part time work for the weekdays but if possible i would rather be using this time to move towards my goal of training as a mechanic.

College doesnt seem to be an option as all the courses are full time and usually require a thursday or a friday class when i will be working. I have seen some home study courses but I assume they are a waste of time, even if they are not a waste, they are very very expensive.

Does anyone have any advise for me?

What would you do in my position?

At 21 it's gonna be tough unless you know someone in the trade to let you help them out etc. Most garages aren't interested in apprentices after 18, I had that problem and I spent 2 years at college (16-18) doing mechanics but failed to get a placement so took a different career. Tbh I'm glad, I still do it as a hobby and to earn extra cash and save money but don't think I'd wanna be a grease monkey full time any more

Yeah i know its going to be tough :(

I just want to learn a trade and ive always been interested in all things mechanical. I spent my mid teenage years working at a ATV garage. (Which has since closed)

The only other trades i am interested in is maybe something in the building trade, plumbing, electrics, gas, plastering. But i would prefer to work with cars.

Right now i work in security which is a total dead end, it cant progress any more than where i am now. So i really need to start developing some kind of career in other areas or i am going to end up stuck in this dead end for the next 20 years.

Do you know your way round a car well then? Driving old nails is a good way to learn how to fix them. Doesn't hurt to have a healthy tool kit, a Haynes manual and some spare time here & there to get hands on experience and take it from there. Oh and a f**king big hammer.

I'd think you'd probably find it easier to get into plumbing/electrician as a trade-which is my next calling if I don't see this new job thru :D